• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet trajectory

Jody Stroud

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
Setting up a one mile shoot and have a problem, target is at 1750 yards but at appox 1600 yards there is a high voltage transmisson line running overhead across the line of fire. Lines are at appox 40-60 feet above shooting position line of sight to target. Shooting position is appox 40 feet higher than impact area. Need to find out the bullet height elevation at 1600 yards to make sure it will be under the lines. Calibers used will be .338 lapua, .300 prc , .300 win mag and maybe a 7mm mag.

Plenty of room...

Assuming a 215gr Berger at 2900fps MV, sea level D.A., and a few other minor inputs, your bullet going to impact at 1750 yds is about 190 inches "high" (~16ft) at 1600 yds. More impressive ballistics (e.g. faster MV, higher BC, higher D.A.) will have the the bullet lower; less impressive ballistics will have bullet higher but VERY unlikely higher by 40 ft.

Fire away buddy!

Ok. Thanks. With a 100 yard zero my hornady app showed appox 95’ of hold over with a 100 yard zero. Wanted to make sure the .300 prc I shoot with out of the box hornady match rounds would clear the bottom of them.

Ok. Thanks. With a 100 yard zero my hornady app showed appox 95’ of hold over with a 100 yard zero. Wanted to make sure the .300 prc I shoot with out of the box hornady match rounds would clear the bottom of them.
In your app, set your scopes zero to your target distance. Then the drop chart will give you the height above line of sight all the way to the target.

When i set the zero on the app to 1750 yards, the target distance, it came up as 0. However.... when i set zero to 1600 yards ( the distance to the power lines) and the target to 1750 it showed up as appox 14.5 feet.

When i set the zero on the app to 1750 yards, the target distance, it came up as 0. However.... when i set zero to 1600 yards ( the distance to the power lines) and the target to 1750 it showed up as appox 14.5 feet.
Change the distance in the app that your scope is zero'd. So instead of telling your app that it is set for a 100 yard zero, you tell it that 1750 is your zero.

Then you switch over to the ballistic chart and look at how many moa, mils, feet...whatever... your bullet is above line of sight at whatever distance you want.

Doing this ensures that your whole trajectory is recorded as being above line of sight, rather than depicted as drop from 100 yds.

Reactions: jbailey
Change the distance in the app that your scope is zero'd. So instead of telling your app that it is set for a 100 yard zero, you tell it that 1750 is your zero.

Then you switch over to the ballistic chart and look at how many moa, mils, feet...whatever... your bullet is above line of sight at whatever distance you want.

Doing this ensures that your whole trajectory is recorded as being above line of sight, rather than depicted as drop from 100 yds.
Affirmative, this is how I solved for your bullet's height at 1600yds. The little changes in FP height relative to the target and lines are not big enough to have a material impact on the flight path.