• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet traps: worth it or not

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

Any of you high volume rimfire or handgun shooters use bullet traps? Is there any utility in saving the bullets from 5-10K 9mm and 22lr rounds shot over a year's time? do you melt them down and shoot them out of your revolver? Sell them to someone who does? Sell them to a scrap yard?

If you DO recommend a bullet trap, photos with a brief description would rock.

Or do you just blow the whole thing off and shoot at steel? There is a nice ringing sound when you hit it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

God bless America

The ones I use for centerfire rifle and rimfire don't actually capture and hold the bullets, so they might not be bullet traps in the true sense.

For me it's about knowing where the bullet ends it's flight. Depsite living in what many would consider the middle of nowhere, it still seems like a good idea to me. People are unpredictable.

Using a trap doesn't mean you can't shoot steel targets, either. Both of my traps have steel targets hanging an inch or two back from the mouth. In fact, I don't use them for paper at all.

I'll post a pic of my rimfire one later on today.

You mentioned melting the caught bullets. I myself have a good deal of experience with that. I had built a sheet metal trap with a thick steel plate in the back and filled it up with stacked books or newspaper. It was mainly used as a pellet trap, but I also used it as a rimfire trap as well. When all the paper was shot up and worn out and needed replacing, I dug out quite a bit of scrap lead which I melted down and poured into my .451 round ball mold for use with my replica 1858 Army cap and ball revolver. The only problem with melting down scrap bullets is the fact you're not gonna know the alloy you end up with in the end. While a casual such as myself couldn't care less, if you're a serious reloader, you're gonna want to know what exactly is in the bullets you're casting.