• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet trimming and tipping bullets, is it worth it for PRS

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I got a batch of 139 scenars for next year, does anybody think trimming and tipping them would be worth it for PRS. I only shoot PRS, and I would have to buy the trimmer and pointing dies. Would the increased BC make any real difference when shooting off obstacles. Anybody here that shoots PRS that's tips bullets want to weigh in

Are you already a top 2% shooter? If not then no. Even then no.

PRS distances generally won't be worth the effort to even try it.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I'm not a top 2 percent shooter but my thought was atleast when I'm shooting prone on the troop line it may help

Keep in mind, it’s not an increased BC. Typically the BC even drops a little sometimes. It’s a more uniform BC across the projectiles.

And also keep in mind, at most prs distances which are 600 and in, consistent velocity is far more important than BC. And even then, it would take a very large speed difference to contribute to enough vertical spread to matter.

Trimming and Tipping are usually for two reasons:

- You find the bullet to bullet BC variance is too much for what you’re doing (this is actually what’s happening when loads “fall apart at distance”)

- You are shooting a discipline such is 1k F open which requires the smallest dispersion you can get at distance

Also keep in mind, with the equipment we use in PRS (gamechangers/bipod/rear squeeze bags), many times it’s not possible to exploit some things we want to do at the loading bench.

I won’t however, completely recommend you don’t do it. If you enjoy loading, or the process really gets your head into it and helps your mental performance at matches (you focus more because you took tons of time on each round), then go for it.

If you enjoy it or really want to, have at it.

Also keep in mind you should practice and test trimming and tipping. You can actually make things a lot worse if done wrong.

I’m not a top shooter by any means, I mostly shoot local matches. We do 2 kinds of matches: PRS-style, and long range (out to 1000yds). I point my bullets and see a slight (maybe 5%) increase in BC, enough for 1 or 2 clicks less elevation at 1000 yards. I see no difference in the pointed v unpointed bullets out to 600yds. For our PRS-style matches, I don’t bother to point the bullets.

It's 50/50 for me. I love to shoot but I also love hand loading. I've never pointed bullets before so it would be fun to try but if I get no real benefit or if I screw them up and they don't fly as well then what's the point. The 139 scenar is a good bullet but through my own testing the 140 hybrid is a better bullet, but since I can't find them and since I got 1200 scenars I was thinking I could make them a little better. I do believe the more confidence you have in your load means you will do better at the match but of I fuck em up I could lose confidence in them also. Decisions