• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bullet Tumbling not what you think

FNuser

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Any one ever tumble any bullets, I just found someones stash from along time ago and they are in great shape but look like they are about to turn colors. There's enough to fill a small (1lb) coffee can so it would definitely pay off. I think they're 120g .257 smk's The only drawback I can think of is media big enough not to go in the h.p.

Re: Bullet Tumbling not what you think

I've tumbled old stuff to take the patina off. Just throw them in the tumbler like you would brass. They come out looking factory new.

Doubtful you'll have too much media stuck in the hp's. I had very few from what I remember and just used a dental pick to pop them out.

It should be fine to tumble them. You could go to walmart and get some bird cage base media (corn cob) for really cheap compared to buying the media from the gun companies.

Even if you get a little media in the HP it will make absolutely no discernible difference in the accuracy. I have received bullets from more than one manufacturer with media in the points-- I know Nosler was one, I do not remember the other. They shot just fine--I spent an hour picking the crap out before I gave up then shot them side by side--no difference.

Have tumbled, no issues beyond clogged HP's, no noticable effect on accuracy either way. Decided my vanity could encompass patina on my copper jackets.

Every time I get some bug about bullets, it turns out to be totally a waste of time. IMHO, the best thing to do with bullets is load and go.

Greg

Have never cared about a little "tarnish". When I bothered, I simply wiped them with a rag to remove some of the color.

Thanks to everyone that responded the color is borderline green or else I wouldn't bother, I was concerned about bumping press. I think I'll tumble and re-inspect will probably start all over on the load data though .250 a.i.