• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Bullet Video: Exploring Wind Brackets

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Made a short Bullet Point video as I get back into the swing of things...

We talk a lot about using the MPH Gun method on Sniper's Hide and with that method we also use brackets. The brackets are designed to put more than wind possibility on the target in order to maximize the chance of a hit.

The wind is our wildcat, but the numbers valid and do line as advertised. The problem is the range and catching the ebb or flow at the right moment. Wind is like water crashing on the beach, with waves and troughs that change up the speed. When we break the shot the goal is to do so at the same point in the wind flow. That is the difficult part because we don't know the wind speed, it's sorta like our muzzle velocity, we can shoot for an average but until we shoot the cartridge the real value is a mystery.

Most shooter want that single solution, however there is really 3 pieces to the puzzle that one answer can't always address. We tasked ourselves at finding a way to create the easiest solution possible that can be replicated by anyone. Sure we have plenty of examples where people can call the wind individually really well, but that doesn't always translate to repeatable process. We are looking at the process...

None of this set, it's all just experimentation, a bit of trial and error with a lot of post shooting analysis.

it's about the mindset, it's about the exchange of information, it's about taming the beast as best we can knowing every so often a few of us will get eaten alive.

Great looking toilet paper tube on that AI 😎

• Haha
    Reactions: Boon20
    Do I have this right…you dial for the average; adjust hold +/- based on wind max-mins?

Do I have this right…you dial for the average; adjust hold +/- based on wind max-mins?

There are times when that is the way, there are times when it's not.

Experience (usually gained the hard way) will show you when.

I am not really a big advocate to dial on wind - it’s faster to hold and if they give you the right aspect change it can mess you up but essentially yes .

you use the mph for the initial hold then bounce the changes

I used to use this when shooting High Power with irons. (at 600) dial the average then use holds thereafter. It's easy to "get lost" in your dials otherwise, hence LL not advocating dialing on wind. I haven't until recently the scope and it seems to be a benefit. Plus the constant dialing takes time and is not responsive to conditions.
    Ref the irons, guys would always "forget" where they were and at each match you would hear "f&&k!" Dailed the wrong way.