• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet weight for small SD

BenjaminMartin6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
Florida
Hey guys, I am finding bullet weights from 139.78 to 140.16. How much of a variable is this for hand loads? Am I being too anal? Thanks for any help as I am new to hand loading.

Reactions: Estes640
This is also very true!
I found that for myself, i can consistently obtain .75 moa accuracy just weighing powder and thats good enough for me.

Weighing everything is just too time consuming for the added accuracy that i dont really need.... but if you’re trying to set the world record you probably want to know the internal volume of all your cases too.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
FWIW, unless your scale is giving you calibrated accuracy in the 100ths of a grain, those second decimal places mean little to nothing. That said, if you weigh every one of your bullets using an accurate scale and sort them into three piles based on a range of variation, you will find that you have one large pile (most likely the middle range weight) and two very small piles (the extremes). This is normal statistical distribution in a controlled manufacturing process. If it matters enough to you, use the large pile all in one loading and save the extremes for foulers or other shooting where you aren't looking for the nth degree of variation. I do this with my .338 bullets when expecting to use them for ELR use. In my case, they are 285g nominal and the main pile varies from the others by 0.2g.

All said and done though, as has already been noted, your measured variation is still less than 2 tenths of 1% and you would likely be better spending your time focusing on consistency in loading methods/technique and consistent neck tension.