• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullets for new barrel

bfk4lyfe

Minuteman
Jul 1, 2010
CA and NV
I have a new 6.5CM barrel for my AI. How does one balance buying enough bullets to last the life time of the barrel vs finding something your barrel likes?

I'd hate to buy 2k bullets only to find it shoots them like crap and waste time trying to make something work.

How great a driver are you? IE: are you good enough that practicing on this barrel is of less consequence than getting a load that does exactly what you need it to do?

How fast do you need this car to go? IE: are you willing to buy TWO barrels, chamber them the same, burn the fuck out of the first one finding a great load, and save the second--albeit SLIGHTLY different--tube for actual purpose-driven use? Are you going to go full-retard on using proprietary and/or custom bullets and try to push them to the limits (whatever those are, by common definitions).

How long have you been turning wrenches? IE: are you experienced enough at hand-loading to know what a rifle wants 'close enough' to find a decent load within 50 rounds or so? Remember: this isn't some hotrod wildcat. It has a quickly-growing volume of data readily available.

This isn't a real barrel burner. If you spend half the barrel life finding something that is acceptable to you, then you either have really high expectations, or you suck at loading/shooting.

For me, a general litmus is about 1/2 Minute. When I get a rifle doing about 1/2 Minute for 5 shots either prone from bags, or sling prone, I tend to start thinking about moving that load out to intended full distance and seeing what it will do out there; if I'm lucky and quickly find something that is 1/4 Minute or better...buddy, I'm done with the shortline shit. For some rifles "full distance" is 300 yards, and for some, that starts at 1,000.

I do know that, despite the internet bullshit, if you have a shooter and rifle and load that can hang tough for a round MOA group at 500-1,000 yards for an appreciable number of rounds (like 10-20), then you have a pretty damn good situation.

If you need better than that, then you can really start tweaking things and buying better gear and loading equipment to bring that in to 1/2 to 3/4 MOA like the F-Class guys need. They, and similar types of shooting like Benchrest (the sport) are an exception to my comments above. Then again, so is their equipment. (I love those little rice-burner barrel cooler gidgets...)

If you need better than 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards, you are seriously, seriously in the wrong forum.

-Nate

Buy a 100 box of what you want to shoot. If your gun doesn't like them buy 100 of something else. Once you find something it likes, buy a bunch of the same lot for consistency. It doesn't need to be the same lot as the first 100. You just might have to adjust your seating depth and charge slightly. It is just nice to have 1 or 2k of the same lot.

I'll bet it will shoot 140 whatevers really well. I have a 260 and it loves 140's, 107's and 120's are good but not always one hole.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I just pick a bullet and work up the load around it. Has yet to fail me in a quality built rifle.

Buy either Berger 140 hybrids or Hornady ELD-M's.

Pair that with good brass (Lapua), good powder such as H4350 or RL16, and FGM or CCI primers and surely you will find a load that your rifle likes.

I haven't reloaded ELD-M's, but the Berger Hybrids like 0.010-0.020" of jump.

Don't waste your time buying up a bunch of different components to try - that will be a test of your wallet and sanity.