• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullets way out of round

dddoo7

Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
Memphis, TN
Last December I purchased 1,000 bullets from Top Brass Inc. They were pulled 62g ss109 (steel core) for .223. I have just now got around to loading them and found out that they are absolutely useless. They are so far out of round that they will not chamber in the rifle. When I actually checked the bullets, most of them went from about .230 to .208 when they were supposed to be .224 all the way around.

I understand that once in a while a company gets a bad batch. I understand that these were sold as pulled bullets. However, when bullets are pulled properly they are not .022 out of round. I contacted Top Brass a total of 4 times now. My email was not answered. Phone calls were transferred until I finally got to someone who would talk to me about it. That person proceeded to tell me that they were sold "as is" and that they would do nothing about it. Customer service is important...especially in this industry. I will not be purchasing from top brass again because of how they handled this situation. There are plenty of companies who will back their products...even if I have to pay a few dollars more.

Just wanted to warn you guys so you don't end up with 1000's of useless bullets.

Thanks for the warning.

PS I just looked at their website and it says those bullets are non refundable and non returnable-did it say that when you ordered them?

Last edited:
The thing that's puzzling to me is how a 0.208" bullet was seated in a 5.56x45 case in the first place. It would simply fall right out of the neck? Or does it look like they were pinched when they were pulled?

They were squished. They ranged from .208 to .230 as they were spun in the caliper. The same bullet.

--Daniel

I don't know who these people are so I'm not defending them but the pictures of the bullets that they show in the add look pretty bad so I can't fault them for that. I know I sure wouldn't buy them in the first place-just from the photo.

Nine cents each for mediocre slingshot ammo? Two questions come to mind:

1) Why would a reputable company sell such trash (at that price)?

2) Why would anyone buy them?

They were $80/1000. I don't know why a reputable company would sell them. I bought them because it is all I could find a year ago.

--Daniel

did they pull them with vice grips?

They look like they are pulled with wire cutters. They are pinched at two distinct sharp points which are opposite of each other. You can see one mark in the picture and there is one just like it on the opposite side.
a9u7ypa2.jpg

--Daniel

I purchased 1000 pulled 150 grain .30 cal bullets pulled from 30/06 M-2 ammo a number of years ago from one of the well known surplus Military / Demill component dealers. The bullets are out of round as can be seen from their bases. They were apparently pulled really hard and squished a bit. I think I only paid about .08¢ ea. for them. I use them for plinking ammo out of the 1903 and Garands.

The point is you have to be careful buying military or commercial pulls, depending how they were pulled.

They pinch the case to let the bullet release, case is junk and sometimes the bullet is also but the powder is ok. That's just the way they do it. They should have told you.

I went through the same with the first pulled 175 SMK's that I ever purchased from a member on here a while ago.. Back they went and I decided right then and there to never buy pulled bullets again..

This is the same bullet measured from opposite sides on the bearing surface..

There are dies available to make them round again. I think CH4D makes (or can make) a die for anything.

For the few pennies per bullet that you save by purchasing pulled / damaged bullets, its not worth the effort to "correct" them.

You are correct. I just left that decision up to the discretion of the OP and anyone else that may be interested. I considered it at one time when I got some bullets that were similar to the ones in question, but if I wasn't planning on at least 10k of them it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Bullets may show markings, indents near cannelure from extraction tool.
This is a military surplus product that is cleaned and sorted and presented as-is.
Bullets are in varying condition and are sorted only to remove extremely damaged pieces. Buyer assumes responsibility for ensuring projectiles are safe for use in their firearm prior to loading. These bullets are Non-Refundable & Non-Returnable

Other than posting, "These really suck and you won't be happy," I'm not sure how they could have been more upfront.

At $89.99 it really does seem they are looking for the suckers.

I have gotten m855 pull downs in the past like this. The solution is easy! I bought a Lee sizer for $20 for .224 and ran them though it with a little lube every 15-20 bullets. When shot out to 200 you would not know the difference between them and air pulled bullets. I would gladly take them off your hands if you don't want them being the solution is that simple!

If you're loading ammo for a machinegun these bullets are perfect. I bought a ton of tracers and other "active" bullets for the 30 and 50 cal and used them primarily in machineguns. They were all machine pulled and looked just like the cute 22 bullets posted above.....a groove in each side where the cutter cut the case neck to release the bullet. Unless you buy bullets that are specifically listed as "Collet Pulled" then this is what you get. Do some research and don't assume things. If you do assume things than you get what you get. You can run these bullets through a sizing die and yes CH4d does make them. I used them on the .50 cal stuff because sometimes its way out. You will never get the accuracy you would out of unpulled bullets but most of us don't buy them for that anyway....we learned that they're not good for that. If you're unhappy with the bullets don't blame the company...blame yourself for not doing the research. Sell them on one of the machinegun boards because there are probably a few out there who'd be happy to have them.

Frank