• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullets...

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
New to the game and I am just wondering with so many options how do you pick a specific bullet. I understand the whole gun will pick it but there are hundreds to choose from if you count weight and different manufacturers.

My buddies are telling me to stick with Berger or Nosler but I am one of those guys that have to look at a whole bunch of stuff and ask a bunch of folks to make a decision.

Just curious...how did you pick your bullet?

Re: Bullets...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious...how did you pick your bullet? </div></div>

Strategy 1: The lightest match bullet with the highest BC
Strategy 2: The heaviest match bullet with the highest BC
Strategy 3: The 175 SMK the most all round bullet (currently)

Strategy 4: listen to what other people are having good success with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I am one of those guys that have to look at a whole bunch of stuff and ask a bunch of folks to make a decision.

Just curious...how did you pick your bullet? </div></div>

step 5 pull the trigger

+ 1 what mitch and turbo said

you can use the jbm stablitly calculator and your twist to help.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

First thing is to decide what you want the bullet to do. I assume since you are on here, you are shooting rather long range. That usually dictates heavy-for-caliber bullets. Then, you have to decide how heavy (long) your rifle can stabilize. My 6.5 has only a 1-10 twist, so that restricts me to mid-to-light stuff. If you have the twist, the
BCs and weight of the heavies make things a little easier.
If price is not really a consideration, then just decide where you want to start. If you are somewhat restricted, the Hornady A-max is probably the best bang for the buck. Very good shooters for most, and very good price. I should be using the 120s and 123s, but I have a bunch of Ballistic tips to go thru. When they are gone, I will have to find some, as there has been none here locally for quite a while. Availablity may be your deciding factor. You can't shoot it if you can't find it.
Eliminating what you don't want will narrow the field at least a little. the rest is up to you.
Let us know what you do.

Thanks guys. Just curious and starting to reload. I have a 22-250 and having my 30-06 rebarrelled to a Creedmoor 1 in 8 twist. So I was really just generally speaking.

I have built a relationship with a distributor via reloading for shotgun stuff so I have a lot of options, fortunate in that regard.