• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bullpac frame

Pok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
PA
Has anyone used or seen a Bullpac brand external frame pack?

My wife and I are gearing up (begining some training), to start some easy backpacking, with the intention of working up to overnights and maybe a few night trips when our kids are a bit older. I may be paranoid, but I like to consider it preperedness, but im considering this frame because it gives me the ability to be modular with what I pack. It also seems very sturdy for emergencies, like having to carry or drag my wife or one of my kids out of the woods due to an injury.

I read that they are working on a modification that will allow ALICE packs to easily mount to this frame. This is good due to the durability and low cost of these packs, but not the biggest thing because you could just strap any shape bag to a frame such as this.

I also like to hunt deer here in PA. They are not a big as in other places for sure, but ive been playing with the idea of quartering, or deboning in the field, and hauling meat out instead of dragging the whole carcass. Id probably have to carry the head (with tag) and hide maybe due to laws, but I havent looked into the regulations on this yet. This frame is surely more than up to the task for this. It is advertised to carry elk and moose quarters.

My concerns are the suspension, that doesnt seem to get very good reviews. Anyone ever use one? Is it economical to replace a pack suspension? There are other very expensive packs to compare, but this frame seems simple (still not cheap though). Simple is good, because simple usually doesnt break, and is easy to fix when it does.

I dont mind paying for quality, I just want to be sure its quality im buying

Re: Bullpac frame

For strictly hauling meat they're about as good as they come. They're well built and will haul elk all day long. You could probably get an entire whitetail on one if you could handle it. They're not really made for comfort, but they do what they were designed to do extreemly well.