• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullpup or folder???

rickey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
La Porte, TX
Which would you prefer and why? Also what is the length comparisons? Say using the same barrell.20-22 in. Is the folding chassis shorter and by how much?

Re: Bullpup or folder???

Rickey,

You need to consider the fact that a bullpup is a a complete package ready to go. It's compact size is part of the system.

A folding stock system is only for cleaning and storage. Its purpose is not to be deployed folded.

Two separate animals.

My DTA SRS with a 22.3" barrel and suppressor is about the same length as a Remington 700 5R 308, unsuppressed.

Mark

Bull pup wins the length contest every time.

They are shorter, and ready to go even with the shorter length.

Things like the AICS 2.0, the Whiskey 3, and other folding chassis are not designed to be shot with the stock folded. They are designed to be shot with the stock locked in place.

I know you can't shoot the folding stocks while folded. I liked the idea of having a shorter package to cary but as I started to look and really think about it the bullpup seamed like the way to go. You don't have to worry about folding or unfolding or how sturdy the lock is. Also the bullpup is always smaller and allways ready to go. Def advantage if I every took the gun hunting... Jut wanted to see if others agreed.

Thanks

If you build a proper, simple lightweight hunting rig then you won't need a bullpup. You also have to consider cost. A DTA is gonna start at $4100 butt naked and eclipse $5000 with bipod, sling, proper optics, rings, etc.

I don't typically find myself in a space confined enough that a bullpup is absolutely necessary. An 18 or 20" barrel with a folding stock will be plenty compact to carry comfortably and at that price, I have to ask why not an AI?

Its also very tricky to get a good trigger on a bullpup.
Not impossible but most I've shot feel very glitchy...

Dave

Bullpup has its own advantages. If both weight the same, I will go bullpup, otherwise the lighter one wins...

I personally like the DTA SRS rifle. It fits me well and I really like how well it balances. I like it so much, that it replaced a few of my rifles due to its ability to change calibers.

However the DTA and tactical rifle w/ a folder are going to be heavy compared to a hunting rifle. That being said, if I could only have one bolt action rifle, it would be my DTA SRS.

Bullpups and folders are compromises. To be honest, I think shorter than optimal for chambering barrels are also compromises.

I don't like compromises. They hold up something else above ideal performance.

I seriously doubt they achieve the same performance as the optimal rifle. If performance is important, figure out a way to use the ideal rifle in a manageable manner. If convenience is more important, then performance takes a back seat.

TANSTAAFL! (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

Greg

I don’t like the idea of placing my cheek 3/4" away from a 60,000 psi explosion. YMMV.

Weight isnt a concern. Hunting was just the only scenario that I would be in where having my stock folded over and missing the chance to take a shot would piss me off. Im just trying to think is it really that much better to carry the stock folded? do you notice that the gun is shorter...?

and greg Why do you say that folders and bullpups are compromises?

I have a couple folders and some fixed stocks.

The folder to me has one advantage. If I have a raised cheek piece, I don't have to move my cheek piece to take the bolt out or clean from the breach.

I have hunted with all of them, and so far, even with the folders I never carry them folded, and I haven't been given a reason to try it.

If I am going to hunt in extremely thick dense woods, I take my 16" LR-308 and the 5 rd mag. Its short, its accurate way paste any shot I would get in that kind of woods, and its legal.

The only place that I have found a folder to be really nice that isn't cleaning is in my safe.

I don't have a normal sized safe. I got a smoking deal (I could make money on scrap value) on a Mosler TL-30 that is only 50" tall on the outside(makes the inside about 47" usable). I then built slide out racks along the sides, so if a gun is overly long, it has to be broken down to fit in. Folders help because I can fold it and it sits in there and fits.

If you want short, get a DTA SRS. They are a great gun. But they are going to be pricey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Taylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its also very tricky to get a good trigger on a bullpup.
Not impossible but most I've shot feel very glitchy...

Dave </div></div>

+1 this is my experience as well

You also have to remember that on bullpups the scope is usually mounted on the barrel. Barrels twist, torque and vibrate when shot. Pretty hard on scopes, they will normally need a lot of service and repair.

I can't speak to the bullpup design but I have spent quite a bit of time on folders and have not found any significant drawbacks. The primary benefit is improved ease of packing the rifle and as stated above they are convenient when cleaning the rifle for bolt removal. With a robust and secure locking mechanism the integrity of the stock when locked extended is not reduced.

I'm not exactly sure how a folder can have any compromises unless the folding mechanism is sloppy. Otherwise, it doesn't alter the functionality, just the size of the package. I find it's best use to be in a pack or compact transport.