• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulova Automatic watches?

I've had Bulova watches in the past but moved on to Citizens. I've always wanted a nice and simple automatic, and this one fits the bill. Seems to be on par price wise with low end Hamiltons. Anyone have an experience with Bulova automatics? Am I just setting money on fire buying it?
Anyone have one of these or know anything about them?
citizens are great watches, but I've moved on to Marathon. My wife's Bulova has lasted forever and she likes it. I think they are known for reliable tiime keeping

I used to feel like I forgot my wallet at home if I wasn't wearing a watch. Haven't worn one in years, I have a pocket watch now...in the form of a cell phone. When I work in a location I can't have my phone, I usually have a computer with a clock somewhere on the screen.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Citizen owns Bulova, and the majority of their mid to upper level watches are made in Japan. They're good watches and a real decent value, certainly wouldn't be throwing your money away, and their automatics use Japanese made Miyota movements which aren't necessarily anything special, but they're reliable for general use, pretty much on par with common Swiss ETA.

Bulova has a huge history to them, up to service on the Moon after an Omega blew out, as well as a ton of innovations over the years to include the first fully electronic watch.

Bulova pioneered the quartz watch, IIRC. The early Accutron's were electric tuning fork watches and really changed everything. A great company and innovative. But the best 'deals' on a mechanical Bulova may be vintage stuff.

A great name in timepieces!!! Do research and get the right one and you probably can't go wrong!

Sirhr

Bulova pioneered the quartz watch, IIRC. The early Accutron's were electric tuning fork watches and really changed everything. A great company and innovative. But the best 'deals' on a mechanical Bulova may be vintage stuff.

A great name in timepieces!!! Do research and get the right one and you probably can't go wrong!

Sirhr
wife‘s Bulova Accutron is the one in the middle, her grandmother gave it to her

13D587F7-FE79-486B-9161-4DB0A5ACA386.jpeg

Ya'll don no nuffin. Lissen 2 Jon Cameron Swayzee...

Timex takes a lickin and keeps on tickin:

• Haha
Reactions: tomcatmv
As already stated Bulova uses miota movements which is the movement manufacturing arm of Citizen.
Cheaper lines are made in taiwan if memory serves. Either way solid performers for the $$.
As for them being on par with Swiss ETA I strongly disagree
The Japanese manufacture with disposability in mind, the Swiss do not. I am a Swiss trained Watchmaker and have been at the bench for 27 years.
I have repaired all types and brands of watches as an official repair centre for most. Japanese watches, with few exceptions, are not designed to be serviced. They also discontinue many casing components within 5 years. The Swiss are better about it. Not to say they dont have their faults.
(I worked for Jared as a watchmaker when they had Rolex)
For a few hundred more you can get a Hamilton Khaki Field watch. ETA movement and better after sales support.

Wanted to add that proceedes from the Bulova sale go to war vetran watchmaker training. This was done by Bulova ath the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking after WWII. The original company had a very stron history of supporting vetrans and training them. The school was also a rehabilitation facility and they would work scheduling around therapy and class work.

I've had Bulova watches in the past but moved on to Citizens. I've always wanted a nice and simple automatic, and this one fits the bill. Seems to be on par price wise with low end Hamiltons. Anyone have an experience with Bulova automatics? Am I just setting money on fire buying it?
Anyone have one of these or know anything about them?
Yes

Save tor pennies and buy a used Omega, Breitling, or Rolex. They’ll actually appreciate in value in most situations.

Reactions: akmike47
Ya'll don no nuffin. Lissen 2 Jon Cameron Swayzee...

Timex takes a lickin and keeps on tickin:

My little girl has broken 2 Ironman. That water resistant to 100m thing just ain’t cutting it. She’s onto the 200m Casio baby g.

I sold watches at one point, in my opinion don’t get a citizen or bulova if you plan on reselling it later you usually lose your ass. They are a nice watch but I’m with @91Eunozs

I don’t really follow the watch market though, so I could be wrong at this point. I just know I used to buy some watches dirt cheap. I’ve gotten multiple $300-400 watches for under $45 in the box never worn. Passed on several more to get my buddies some deals.

I do what a nice automatic one day, just don’t like gold/silver looking stuff. I want stupid bright colors, or tan/black/ODG lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Eunozs
My little girl has broken 2 Ironman. That water resistant to 100m thing just ain’t cutting it. She’s onto the 200m Casio baby g.
I pretty much wear Master of G g-shocks now. Ain’t crazy fancy looking but they work.

Reactions: thejeep
If I remember correctly, bulova accutron was the watches the train conductors used because they kept the best time.
Dad had one. Accutron broke and they (Bulova) replaced with quartz. :(

Last edited:
Wanted to add that proceedes from the Bulova sale go to war vetran watchmaker training. This was done by Bulova ath the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking after WWII. The original company had a very stron history of supporting vetrans and training them. The school was also a rehabilitation facility and they would work scheduling around therapy and class work.
Just ordered a HACK field type watch after reading this. Going to be an everyday including hunting watch. Thanks Porksboy
https://www.watchmaxx.com/bulova-watch-96a259

Reactions: akmike47
Dad had one. Accutron broke and they (Bulova) replaced with quartz. :(
I havent seen Accutron parts in years. I used to buy any running accutrons for parts. If i could thump it and have the second hand move from the fork vibrating I would offer $10.00. I would use the coils, forks or the index wheels as needed and make $$$$. No one wants to work on them, hell I dont work on them any longer.

I havent seen Accutron parts in years. I used to buy any running accutrons for parts. If i could thump it and have the second hand move from the fork vibrating I would offer $10.00. I would use the coils, forks or the index wheels as needed and make $$$$. No one wants to work on them, hell I dont work on them any longer.
I remember sitting in Church as a boy and I'd put Dad's arm up to my ear and listen to that tuning fork (I probably couldn't hear it today...LOL).

@sirhrmechanic motivated me to get a Sinn :).

I have thought of getting a Bulova Surfboard though.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I guess I’m the exception here.

I bought my wife a Bulova for Christmas probably 15 years ago. It was a really nice watch. Mother of pearl face with diamonds at 3,6,9 and 12.

She wore it about two years and it went to shit. Seems water penetrated the face and it would fog up.

My wife is a nurse so she washes her hands quite a bit. I’m thinking that’s what did it in.

I’ve refused to buy one since.

I had a Seiko mechanical I bought off eBay for around $40 on Black Friday that looked very similar to the one you’ve linked in the OP.

I wore it for work every day and beat the living shit out of it.

Not sure what finally killed it, but it rattles now.

I’m tempted to buy another one if so can get a good price on one.

I personally wouldn’t buy a Bulova or really any Citizen, especially at retail. For $100 more you could get a Seiko king turtle or Samarai and have a great automatic. Or for less money you can get an SKX. Most Seiko’s can be had for 25-30% off.

I've been using Citizens for years, but I'd like to buy another watch. What other brands (except for Bulova) can you recommend?
Fuck off spammer.

Seriously fellas, don’t bother with this fuck stain, he’s the spammer type that posts something that looks like a question, then comes back a while later to edit his post with a link to whatever spammy scammy website he’s shilling for this time. The mods will hopefully be along shortly to clean this shit up. @MarinePMI

I have that very same watch bought March 22. Sent it to service in California for stoppage after few hours on or off my wrist. They sent it back with out repair and I had to escalate the service, this time they covered shipping and ended up replacing the movement. Keeps great time now. Band is breaking down pretty fast s as I’d I’ll be upgrading that at some point.
Problem may have come about from my very cold deer season in November. Idk.
Next watch is probably a Christopher Ward bronze diver, but I do like this one for every day and like the story behind it.

Reactions: nikonNUT
The one Bulova I hope to stumble across is a vintage Astronaut with a coffin band. I'll find one someday!

Edited to add... Apprently the Austronaut is back! As a 300 watch run with a Sellita SW330-1 GMT movement. Damn it!

As already stated Bulova uses miota movements which is the movement manufacturing arm of Citizen.
Cheaper lines are made in taiwan if memory serves. Either way solid performers for the $$.
As for them being on par with Swiss ETA I strongly disagree
The Japanese manufacture with disposability in mind, the Swiss do not. I am a Swiss trained Watchmaker and have been at the bench for 27 years.
I have repaired all types and brands of watches as an official repair centre for most. Japanese watches, with few exceptions, are not designed to be serviced. They also discontinue many casing components within 5 years. The Swiss are better about it. Not to say they dont have their faults.
(I worked for Jared as a watchmaker when they had Rolex)
For a few hundred more you can get a Hamilton Khaki Field watch. ETA movement and better after sales support.
Who do you like for watch retailers? Those Hamilton’s look great.