• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bummer...

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Had to drive out to the Buffalo NY VA for my annual Pacemaker checkup.

On the way home, the trans suddenly decided to start slipping (bigtime) going up the last hill before home. There was some small drip of ATF.

Former Son-in-Law got it on the flatbed and dropped me at home on the way to his station. '95 Honda wagon, 273,000 miles. It's either a blown cooling line, or it's time for another car. Budget timing sucks, too. Always does.

Bummer...

Re: Bummer...

Those old Hondas are worth fixing. great cars.

Maybe it's just a tranny cooler line. That Honda is just getting broken in good. Anyways, even if it needs a tranny, there are plenty of them to be had from pull-a-part. Maybe U could get someone to grab Ya one.

Yeah and it looks like the FederalGovernment is slipping too. Not so easy to fix as a tranny.

Jimmie says the preliminary news is not good.

He says there appears to be water in the ATF. Now in my view, this suggests the radiatior is at fault, with a gap appearing between the ebgine and tranny coooling segments. The key question is whether the tranny was permanently damaged in the process.

A Jasper trans, which he distributes, if they even offer one, is several $K. He said he might be able to send his guy down to Pick-a-Part and pull one for around $400.

The economic timing sucks, it always does. There are no bucks for a big expenditure right now.

...lot of that goin' 'round, eh?

We'll deal with it.

Our Daughter lives around the corner, has two cars in her driveway, and maybe we can borrow one from time to time

Might actually be cheaper to fix up the '93 Tracker out in our garage. Brakes, engine oil seal, battery, some body patch. All within my ability, taken in easy stages.

Greg

Can He drain the coolant, and drain and fill the tranny? Start the vehicle (radiator dry) long enough to determine if the tranny holds pressure. If the tranny is still ok, then a radiator is cheaper than all the stuff U gotta do to the Geo.

It sounds Greg like it may be a couple of things, I doubt the tranny started slipping because of the tranny cooler leaking into the engine coolant. More than likely an internal trans problem finally gave way and with the slippage it began to overheat, the extra expansion from the hotter than normal ATF probably ruptured an already compromised cooler. If the guy says its bad, I'd just get a junkyard unit(of the known good kind) there's plenty of them still around. Good luck to you sir.

I'm running about 226,000 on my Scirocco - took it to Seattle yesterday. I replaced the engine and trans about 5000 miles ago with a 91 jetta. 50mpg on the highway..

Honda's get REAL expensive at that age...

The trans turned out to be toast; we located a used one with 73K miles (as opposed to 274K miles on the car). The entire job took until a few days ago. Car is home, runs very well (possibly better than it ever did before in my memory). It cost a lot, but the rest of the car seems to warrant that kind of an investment. Needless to say, our househiold will be tightening its belt for the next few months.

Greg

I'm hoping there will be some sort of milage dividend. For the past year or so, it's sagged by a few MPG. Wouldn't be too surpised if the tranny had something to do with it.

Man, oh man...

I get in the car yesterday, and comes the first stop sign, the left rear brake is grinding. Sounds like the caliper is sticking

Life is good....