• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bump gauge on 6.5x47 L?

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
I'm trying to bump the shoulder back on my first batch of (once-fired) 6.5x47 L brass.
I'm using the Sinclair #30 insert for the 30 degree shoulder, but the neck of the fired case won't fit through the hole in the insert. The new brass fits snug, and I can get a shoulder measurement on it, but I want to bump back to chamber dimensions, not factory brass dimensions.
Am I using the correct insert?

Thanks!

Re: Bump gauge on 6.5x47 L?

Don't you have to size it first, then stick it in the bump gauge? Then make adjustments to your die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you have to size it first, then stick it in the bump gauge? Then make adjustments to your die. </div></div>

I need to measure the length to the shoulder on the fired brass so I can get a .0015 bump.
I can't adjust for the bump if I can't get the measurement on the fired case.

Oh, I meant neck size the fired case so it fits through the hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, I meant neck size the fired case so it fits through the hole. </div></div>

I've been running a case deeper into the die in tiny little increments, but I'm having trouble telling exactly where shoulder contact starts and neck contact stops. I blackened the shoulder/neck junction with a Sharpie, but it's still hard to tell.

All of my other bump gauges drop right over the neck of a fired case and sit right on the shoulder angle, making it simple to measure the bump. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong one for the caliber.
I'll give Sinclair a call.

Thanks milo-2!!

FW,
Sorry, never used the bump gauges. I was just hoping you were overlooking something easy.
I thought there was a thread here awhile back, some guy used a candle to get soot on the shoulder as an indicator. Sounded like a cool idea.

I love the 6.5x47. I made the mistake of bumping mine to far, using a redding fl type s bushing die. Now I have all my shells loaded a little hot because of headspace issues.
Hope you get it to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, I meant neck size the fired case so it fits through the hole. </div></div>

I've been running a case deeper into the die in tiny little increments, but I'm having trouble telling exactly where shoulder contact starts and neck contact stops. I blackened the shoulder/neck junction with a Sharpie, but it's still hard to tell.

All of my other bump gauges drop right over the neck of a fired case and sit right on the shoulder angle, making it simple to measure the bump. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong one for the caliber.
I'll give Sinclair a call.

Thanks milo-2!!

</div></div>

I have the same issue with bumping the shoulder on my 6.5 Lapua. Even with the firing pin assembly removed, and a fired case there is little to no tension when closing the bolt. It is very difficult to tell where the shoulder contacts the inside of the chamber even after using a sharpie or smoking it.

What I found is the .30 cal insert for the Hornady Bullet Comparator perfectly over the neck of a 6.5 Lapua case. I've.been using that insert to judge how much I bump the shoulder. If you have one give it a try.

Well, I called Sinclair and talked to a tech guy. Seems there's two different 30 degree bump gauges-a 30A and a 30B.
The "A" works up to, but not including, the 6.5 neck. The "B" works on 6.5 necks and larger. Both have the 30 degree shoulder, just different sizes for the case neck diameters.

Seth, if you get the Sinclair bump gauges you'll be able to fit your case shoulder exactly in your chamber, if you get the 30B gauge!
grin.gif

I have a 30 caliber comparator. I'll give it a try!

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I called Sinclair and talked to a tech guy. Seems there's two different 30 degree bump gauges-a 30A and a 30B.
The "A" works up to, but not including, the 6.5 neck. The "B" works on 6.5 necks and larger. Both have the 30 degree shoulder, just different sizes for the case neck diameters.

Seth, if you get the Sinclair bump gauges you'll be able to fit your case shoulder exactly in your chamber, if you get the 30B gauge!
grin.gif

I have a 30 caliber comparator. I'll give it a try!

Thanks! </div></div>

Thanks, good info. I'll have to pick one up. Lemme know how that Comparator works for you.

Thanks again guys!
The Sinclair tech said the 30-B part number is:

09-10301

fw707,
If I stay atleast 6 months to a year behind you on projects,you will have all the dirty work done and figured out for me.
grin.gif

Dat's a nice shooting rifle you got,congrats !

Thanks S4F!
Everybody needs a mentor!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks, good info. I'll have to pick one up. Lemme know how that Comparator works for you. </div></div>

Seth, I tried the 30 caliber comparator today. It took me about 5 minutes adjusting the die to get a .0015 bump on the shoulder of the 6.5x47 L case.
It works so well I probably won't bother with the 30 B bump gauge.

Thank you very much!