• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bump shoulder on loaded round

x2cross

Joe Dirtè
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Mathis, TX
    What's the consensus on bumping the shoulder on a loaded round? My buddy has some reloaded 6.5 creedmoor ammo that he didn't bump the shoulder enough, and wants to know if he can use a bushing die without the bushing or stem installed to bump the shoulder back? I told him he better have his life insurance policy up-to-date.

Much better and smarter option......

Reactions: nn8734
    What's the consensus on bumping the shoulder on a loaded round? My buddy has some reloaded 6.5 creedmoor ammo that he didn't bump the shoulder enough, and wants to know if he can use a bushing die without the bushing or stem installed to bump the shoulder back? I told him he better have his life insurance policy up-to-date.
    How many rounds is “some”?

Every time I need to do any corrective brass work on loaded rounds i disassemble them then resize and/or do whatever has to be done.

Reactions: SWgeezer and Doom

Reactions: x2cross
    Bad plan. A pretty serious case of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Pull them and size the cases. You're creating a 2.5" barreled single shot that can't handle the pressure trying to size loaded rounds and if you get one stuck good fucking luck getting it out.

Reactions: Doom and nn8734
    If you get one stuck good fucking luck getting it out.

😂

Could you imagine trying to wrestle a stuck live round out of a sizing die?

Im pretty sure I’d just toss that guy in some penetrating oil for about a month first.

As you can see, folks are divided but for my part, i dont size live rounds. I’d advise him to disassemble those rounds to correct the shoulder bump.

Will the rounds as-is not chamber into the rifle?

or will they chamber but he’s perhaps a few thousandths undersized compared to his target CH-shoulder datum specification?

I’ll add this. Several years ago a gentleman was using an inertial puller but was using a standard 45 ACP shell holder to hold the round. That round did explode. Fortunately he and his sons were not seriously injured. It did not take a firing pin to set off the primer.

What set off the primer? It would be easy for a piece of the rim on the brass to break off using standard shell holder, and have it get in behind the brass. Its probably one of the reasons it comes with those collets instead of shell holders. I bet it wouldn't take a very big piece of metal to have enough inertia to set of the primer, in an inertia puller.

As I recall it was speculated a slightly raised primer and the round was not centered so the primer made contact with metal. If I remember correctly several other instances were referenced. I've looked for the post but can't find it.

I wasn't aware that a neck bushing die with the bushing removed would move the shoulder. But I have used a body die on loaded ammo. This was mostly from having ammo left over from one rifle after having it rebarreled.

Reactions: SWgeezer
    It might be interesting to try to recreate with a primed piece of brass. I wonder if a little pebble would do it. I always cringed when using an inertia puller. They particularly seem to to me to create a lot of conditions where something could go wrong. I wonder if a high primer could make enough space for the anvil to move and set off the primer without the cup even being struck.

Would not recommend.
    That just sounds like a YouTube video in the making. Lesson learned, pay more attention when reloading... Chances are, he could have overlooked something else and just doesn't know it yet.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keith Maggard
    It might be interesting to try to recreate with a primed piece of brass. I wonder if a little pebble would do it. I always cringed when using an inertia puller. They particularly seem to to me to create a lot of conditions where something could go wrong. I wonder if a high primer could make enough space for the anvil to move and set off the primer without the cup even being struck.
    I doubt it. Take a primer and throw it on the concrete or slap it with something relatively soft. It takes a good whack from a hammer or something with some weight and momentum to make energy and set em off.

I have set one off in a Lee Loadmaster, so they don't always need a whack.
    They do if they are seated in the primer pocket. If that were not the case we wouldn’t have cartridge ammunition. It would be too dangerous to transport.

There's one incident posted here of a 45 ACP going off in an inertia puller . Go to the first post and click on the "CLICK TO EXPAND" on the attachment. The guy shows how this happened when using a regular shell holder instead of the supplied collet holder. Actually documented with photos, not something heard at a Poker game.

Reactions: supercorndogs
    I’ll add this. Several years ago a gentleman was using an inertial puller but was using a standard 45 ACP shell holder to hold the round. That round did explode. Fortunately he and his sons were not seriously injured. It did not take a firing pin to set off the primer.
    I had a primer go off on a loaded round but it had separated and fortunately did not ignite the powder. I forget now exactly what I was doing wrong. I think I may not have had the cap on tight. It was definitely my fault though.

Edit: Now that I read the above story I am pretty sure that is what I did wrong: shell-holder.....stupid

Last edited:
    The collet pullers are worth the money over futzing with the inertia pullers. I hate mine anyway. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have done it many times with a Redding body die. If the shoulder has to be moved back a lot, you might have to take the top of the shell holder down how ever many thousandths you need to. If you have a lathe it's simple. Otherwise I've used coarse knife stones or good sandpaper; what ever you have depending on how much more it needs to be moved back. Rcbs has the thinnest shell holders and Hornady has the thickest from what I've seen. So if you are using a hornady shell holder just switching to the RCBS one might be enough. I know this might sound extreme, but I've run into this a few time with "custom" chambers. Just make sure you lube the shoulder and body. The Redding Body die just moves the shoulder back if the case has already been sized.

There's one incident posted here of a 45 ACP going off in an inertia puller . Go to the first post and click on the "CLICK TO EXPAND" on the attachment. The guy shows how this happened when using a regular shell holder instead of the supplied collet holder. Actually documented with photos, not something heard at a Poker game.

I had a ( 264 Win.mag ) go off using a Frankford Arsenal , using the supplied o-ring collet for holding the Round . All ( bullet ) was self contained in the puller vessel , and all pressure blew out the Primer and Pocket hole, and 'gaps in the 3-Piece collet held together with o-ring .. was LOUD and Smoky and Scary, but that all it was .
    I still like use the 'hammer puller' it quick and easy, pretty solid design .

using the appropriate Dies, I have body bumped and also shoulder bumped live rounds with no problems .

I've done it on 6.5 WSM wildcat that I did the same thing on, no problems..

I wasn't aware that a neck bushing die with the bushing removed would move the shoulder. But I have used a body die on loaded ammo. This was mostly from having ammo left over from one rifle after having it rebarreled.
    An FL bushing die with guts removed will move a shoulder, any neck die screwed in far enough to bump will just roll the shoulder and your brass wont chamber because of it.

Reactions: fulleffect88