• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bumping shoulder on loaded rounds

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
I just discovered a major mistake in my sizing process with some converted .300blk brass. I used a cheap Lee press to size my brass, and must not have been getting to the bottom of the stroke, causing insufficient headspace in my SBR ar15. After some load development, I backed off my original charge weight by one grain & had enough rounds cycle to make me think that the symptoms I was seeing was some other problem. Some of the hotter loads were popping primers and bulging at the web/case head, so at first, I thought headspace was excessive. I bumped the shoulder back on a live round, and have a lot more to correct. Will this action alleviate or cause, excessive pressure?

If you use a body die so that you are not squeezing the neck down, you'll have NO problems. Except some stuck cases from friction on unlubed cases. I'd spray some lube into a plastic bag and dump and roll the loaded rounds around just to get a little lube on the cases. Wipe the resized rounds down by rolling them in a big towel that is dampened with naptha or acetone. Hold the ends together and raise and lower the ends tumbling the rounds in the towel. Let them evaporate and go shoot. JMHO

If you use a body die so that you are not squeezing the neck down, you'll have NO problems. Except some stuck cases from friction on unlubed cases. I'd spray some lube into a plastic bag and dump and roll the loaded rounds around just to get a little lube on the cases. Wipe the resized rounds down by rolling them in a big towel that is dampened with naptha or acetone. Hold the ends together and raise and lower the ends tumbling the rounds in the towel. Let them evaporate and go shoot. JMHO

^^What he said but I would just use a touch of Imperial die wax and just wipe the case after bumping the shoulder.

Thanks guys, i use imperial sizing wax. No stuck cases yet, but strangely, the bullets are loose in the case neck now. I am crimping them.

Last edited:
defenitely use a body die, fixed a lot of 308 with one of those before i had a case guage, now i haven't used that thing in years.

Shot about 100 of them last weekend. Function was perfect, but could only achieve 3 moa at best. I've decided to pull the rest of them, resize and go from there. I just don't like how the bullets are loose in the caseneck.