• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bumping the shoulder on 284win

JFive

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2008
East
A friend and I had two barrels chambered in 284 win with no turn necks, mine on a Bat his on a trued Rem action. Both barrels (Brux) chambered with the same reamer, fired brass measures almost identical in both guns with the exception of the shoulder mine is .002 smaller on a fired case. The problem is on his brass, I can bump my shoulder back .001 and it chambers fine, he has to bump the shoulder .003 to get it to chamber in his rifle without any drag. Any ideas why he can not bump his shoulder .001 and chamber easily? Thanks

Re: Bumping the shoulder on 284win

Same brass? Different makes/lots? Did the gunsmith "touch up" the reamer's cutting edges between barrel jobs? Same Loads? Same powder? Same lot? Same primers? Same bullets? Same seating depth? Same set of reloading dies?...lots of variables there. Two barrels can be identically manufactured by the same maker and one will be tighter, looser, more or less tapered in the bore...one will shoot faster than the other (by as much as 100 fps). Few things are really identical in this world. JMHO

Re: Bumping the shoulder on 284win

Forget about two different rifles, just threw that out there for a comparison. Why, if the brass came out of the chamber fired at a certain size and you reduce that size (sizing die)in all the critical dimensions why wouldn't the brass go back into the chamber without a lot of effort?
65joe