• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris 30mm offset insert thickness measurements?

Kiba

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Central CA
I was wondering if someone out there has a set of the +/- 10 Burris Signature Zee 30mm inserts handy and can take a measurement for me.

I'm looking for the thickness at the center of the arc of both the + and - 10 inserts compared to the thickness of the zero offset inserts.

I'm fairly certain the +/- 10 stands for 0.010" when it comes to the amount of offset in the inserts (thickness)... but I want to verify before I start making chips.

I'm milling off the integral "straight" weaver rail on my Force 10/22 receiver and I'm going to angle mill a new picatinny rail blank and pin/screw it to the receiver to max out the elevation travel in my scope with a 50Y zero for longer range shots. Right now 0.57 degrees of cant on the new rail combined with the current offset inserts in the 30mm Signature Zee rings will do just that leaving 2.5 mils down and 19 mils up in the scope. However, I would like to add the amount of cant currently in the rings to the base when I machine it and switch back to the zero offset inserts-- and I need to verify the thickness of the 30mm Burris offset inserts and do the math for that.

If the inserts are +/- .010", with the current ring span of 4.0" that would require adding an additional 0.28 degrees of angle for 0.85 degree total cant on the new rail. At that point I could go back to the non-offset inserts or another brand of standard rings.

Thanks!

Re: Burris 30mm offset insert thickness measurements?

I have a set (on a rifle), but I never measured them. It is my understanding that they are .010 as you described. I have seen it posted in math write up's on the rings as well (as they were calculating the anglular adjustment made by the different sizes in relation to the distance between the two rings).

These are Burris Signature Zee 30mm rings.

First picture is 0 (no offsets)

gun-stuff-001.jpg

Second Picture is -10

gun-stuff-002.jpg

Third picture is +10

gun-stuff-003.jpg

It's in thousandths of an inch as demonstrated above which would translate to 10MOA with a 6.5" spacing ring to ring. More spacing means less MOA and less is more.

Thanks for the info guys especially chipdog for coming through with pictures!

I did all the machine work yesterday after work.

Here's how it started, the stripped receiver and a Millet gunsmith rail blank...

rail1.jpg

And here's how it ended up. The old integral weaver rail was milled down and the sides faced flush to the integral riser. The top of the receiver was machined for 6x 8-40 weaver head torx screws and 2x .125 light press fit dowel pins. The rail was angle milled (0.85 degrees was the target, it ended up at 0.82 degrees) and was then drilled/reamed/spotfaced/countersunk to fit the pins & screws and match the receiver. The dowel pins positively locate the rail square on the receiver as do the screws (reamed 0.003 clearance holes for the screws in the rail.) The scope was then reinstalled using the 0 offset ring inserts.

rail2.jpg

rail3.jpg

All back together...

rail4.jpg

It's windy and raining today but as soon as the weather clears it's time to zero it back in. If the math is correct I should have 2.5 mils down and 19 mils up travel from a 50Y zero so I'll have no problems getting out to 350 yards without having to use the reticle for holdovers.
grin.gif