• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris and Bushnell out of the mid/higher end LPVO game?

TonyTheTiger

Like a Boss
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Building theoretical rifles in my head like I do everyday and it came time to pick a scope. The XTR2 1-8 fits the bill but I know they're discontinued. Off to google I go only to find that neither Burris or Bushnell have anything above the $350 level anymore. What gives?

I'm a little sketchy on exactly why Burris dropped the RT6. At $350 it was a hell of a nice optic.

I can only speculate it was something on the back end between themselves and the OEM. The RT Long Range series is still in production and doing well. So I have no answers.

Last I spoke to Burris management about it was some months ago. They said they were focusing on the XTR3 line up, the RT15 and 25, and still having discussion on where to go with LPVOs.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I'm a little sketchy on exactly why Burris dropped the RT6. At $350 it was a hell of a nice optic.
They dropped the RT6 also?!?!
So now they have zero LPVO's at any price. I know long range optics are the new hotness, but it wasn't even four years ago that every company that enjoys profits had their LPVO game turned up to 11. This is disheartening.

They dropped the RT6 also?!?!
So now they have zero LPVO's at any price. I know long range optics are the new hotness, but it wasn't even four years ago that every company that enjoys profits had their LPVO game turned up to 11. This is disheartening.
No, they didn't. My bad. Its still showing on their website. I confused it with the RT8, which launched, but didnt. That would have been a nice one to have in the line up.

i just got a swampfox 1-10, which obviously hasn't been around long enough to earn any trust, but for $140 more than the RT6, it is much better, and i think the RT6 is a great value (i have both)

i just got a swampfox 1-10, which obviously hasn't been around long enough to earn any trust, but for $140 more than the RT6, it is much better, and i think the RT6 is a great value (i have both)
Glass made in the Philippines vs China might be a decision point.

I found my XTR II 1-8 FFP, used like new, for under 600$

Keep looking, they're out there. Best mid range LPVO for the money, hands down.
I hope that's the case once I'm actually in the market.

I'll probably get one of those eventually just for giggles, but it won't quite do for what I have in mind right now.
What do you like about it over the RT6?

I got lucky and scored a new Burris 1-8X for under $1K pre-pandemic a while back and I have to say, every time I get a chance to use it, I'm wowed by it's optical clarity. If it had a 300 blackout reticle, I might have moved it onto that upper as it sees more action than the 223 upper where it currently sits.

I got lucky and scored a new Burris 1-8X for under $1K pre-pandemic a while back and I have to say, every time I get a chance to use it, I'm wowed by it's optical clarity. If it had a 300 blackout reticle, I might have moved it onto that upper as it sees more action than the 223 upper where it currently sits.
If you have the FFP it works fine for 300blk both super and subs. Just install StrelokPro and figure out your own BDC. For subs it’s like zero at 35 or 50. Then your bdc is 60/80/100/125 and 150. Pretty easy.
for 110 Barnes. Zero at 75 then bdc is 150/225/285/350/425
The cool thing about the mad turret on the 1-8 is it’s easy to setup a dual zero between subs and super.

If you have the FFP it works fine for 300blk both super and subs. Just install StrelokPro and figure out your own BDC. For subs it’s like zero at 35 or 50. Then your bdc is 60/80/100/125 and 150. Pretty easy.
for 110 Barnes. Zero at 75 then bdc is 150/225/285/350/425
The cool thing about the mad turret on the 1-8 is it’s easy to setup a dual zero between subs and super.
Understood on the BDC and yes, it's FFP. For me it's just easier to have a dedicated reticle so I don't have to think about it (as much) when switching rifles. I ended up with a PA 1-6 FFP with the the 300 blackout-specific reticle. You dial in subs and supers at 50 yards and the BDC works for both supers and subs from thereon out. I suppose you have to memorize those too but it's been pretty intuitive thus far.

That is REALLY a nice optic. It always amazed me that they didn't blow those out. Definitely one of the nicest LPVOs under $1500. Everyone who bought one liked it, and for the life of me I've never heard of anyone breaking one.

The pair I own are on 3 Gun rifles, and they are money.

No, they didn't. My bad. Its still showing on their website. I confused it with the RT8, which launched, but didnt. That would have been a nice one to have in the line up.
The RT8 was pretty bad all around. I ended up buying like five of them between the three variants they offered and all of them were pretty bad (they were allowing you to add mil discount). Their social medial folks ended up banning people on IG when they were saying they were made in china only for them to end up apologizing when customers actually sent in pictures of the underside showing they were made in China. Overall a pretty bad shit show.

I was also one of the folks banned for asking "where are these made?". I sent an email to their customer service asking why are they blocking and banning people for asking where a scope is made and they sent a response profusely apologizing but not willing to buy back the Chinese scopes they were misleadingly selling

The RT8 was pretty bad all around. I ended up buying like five of them between the three variants they offered and all of them were pretty bad (they were allowing you to add mil discount). Their social medial folks ended up banning people on IG when they were saying they were made in china only for them to end up apologizing when customers actually sent in pictures of the underside showing they were made in China. Overall a pretty bad shit show.

I was also one of the folks banned for asking "where are these made?". I sent an email to their customer service asking why are they blocking and banning people for asking where a scope is made and they sent a response profusely apologizing but not willing to buy back the Chinese scopes they were misleadingly selling
I knew something about those went south. I had heard it was an issue with the OEM. The issue I had heard was they got in some prototypes that weren't quite as expected. They made the corrections, went to production, and they still sucked. Burris pulled the plug on remaining production, sold what they had at a discount.

I'll probably get one of those eventually just for giggles, but it won't quite do for what I have in mind right now.
What do you like about it over the RT6?
it is brighter, with better edge to edge clarity
closer to true 1x (burris seems slightly larger to me).
better reticles (personal preference of the mil type)
locking turrets (instead of caps)
increased magnification

I ended up with a PA 1-6 FFP with the the 300 blackout-specific reticle. You dial in subs and supers at 50 yards and the BDC works for both supers and subs from thereon out. I suppose you have to memorize those too but it's been pretty intuitive thus far.

How are you liking that PA 1-6? I'm looking at picking one up for my .300blk sbr, I'd like to wait for the new GLx 1-6 however I guess "latest" updates say they probably won't be around till Q1.