• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris Eliminator 4

dgheriani

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Was just reading up on the specs of the new Eliminator 4 and it looks like a pretty cool piece of tech for what it is. I don't have any hands on experience with the older versions but they claim this one's onboard LRF is good to 2k yards, it displays distance and a 10mph wind hold for that distance (based off your rifle profile inputted into the onboard solver) and illuminates a spot on the vertical axis of the reticle where you need to hold for elevation. The reticle looks decent as well. Downsides are parallax on the objective and SFP. Not bad considering it's about $2k.

My question is when do we see something similar in FFP? Maybe with the option to display your dope and you just holdover instead of having a spot light up. Clearly the tech exists. Or hell , even better, another option for a weapon mounted LRF with on board solver that could link (via bluetooth or preferable hardwire/plug in) to a compatible scope (think Sig BDX) that would display distance, dope, etc in a hud in the scope. I mean, it seems you can have a fully integrated (although I assume low end) unit like the Eliminator, you can source a Radius from somewhere (and have no solver) or you can get a Raptar (with or without solver) and that's it? Am I missing something? It would seem there's a great opening for Sig to make a weapon mounted LRF that would work in the BDX system (ie link to your Kestrel or to a BDX scope).

Nobody's played with these? Just looked over the specs of the 3-12 Eliminator 3 and if they upgraded the laser and ballistics to the same unit as what's in the 4 and added the wired remote switch (don't see the point of bluetooth for that, honestly) that the "upgraded 3" has, it would be an awesome fast scope for a .308 or 6.5 gas gun. I mean I have no idea what the glass is like but you'd have all the functionality of a 3-12 with a Raptar on top weighing only 28oz. Hell add a pic rail up top for a piggy back RDS (or just use a 45 degree offset mount) and you're off to the races for point blank out to 1k yards.

I have no actual experience with the Eliminator, but, at one time, when I was starting back into rifle shooting, they seemed quite the deal. Looking at it tho, it looks just so honk'n huge and eats up a lot of rail. The tech. seems to be relevant and with the upgrades, or being upgradeable, could be the Bees knees. About all I can offer, sorry. Mac

I have used 2, both belonged to a friend who isn't smart enough to use a ballistic calculator so set this up as the easy solution. The glass is okay at best, the spot to show impacts at range is as good as the data that went in, and if the battery dies, you have a standard shit reticle scope (with okay glass.) The problem arises when things are stressful and it doesn't all work out the way you expect it to - then it goes to hell quickly.

My issue with these and other similar gimmicks is they give confidence to people that haven't earned it. If you can't hit a stationary target at 200 yards, why would you be more ready to take a 400 yard shot on moving game because the scope shows you where to aim. "You aren't" is the simple answer, but you might think you are, because it shows you where to aim.

Lazy is lazy, and this is a lazy man's tool to address practice and effort.

But he likes it.

Except when he misses.

I have used 2, both belonged to a friend who isn't smart enough to use a ballistic calculator so set this up as the easy solution. The glass is okay at best, the spot to show impacts at range is as good as the data that went in, and if the battery dies, you have a standard shit reticle scope (with okay glass.) The problem arises when things are stressful and it doesn't all work out the way you expect it to - then it goes to hell quickly.

My issue with these and other similar gimmicks is they give confidence to people that haven't earned it. If you can't hit a stationary target at 200 yards, why would you be more ready to take a 400 yard shot on moving game because the scope shows you where to aim. "You aren't" is the simple answer, but you might think you are, because it shows you where to aim.

But he likes it.

Except when he misses.

I have a similar friend, he also has a quigley scope. :D I worked out the details for him because he couldn't do it, adjusting things out to 800 yards. Personally I wouldn't use it past 500. I spent hours getting it dialed in for him. I'd never ever buy one or suggest a friend get one. Just remember once set up it's good for that load. Change anything and you should do it all over again.
Had he just gotten a regular FFP scope I'd have had it zero'd in a couple minutes and gotten ballistic data within an hour using a magneto speed or lab radar. I could have then verified that data at distance and spent less time and much less frustration.

But he likes it.

Except when he misses.

I get the whole "gimmick for the lazy man" concept and believe me, that's not me. I shoot about a dozen matches a year (PRS, NRL, RTC, team matches where everything is done on the clock, etc). Like I said, I have no experience with these particular scopes and if they really are clunky, shitty glass, etc then fine.

What I'm getting at is as a guy who routinely shoots in situations where you have to find multiple targets, range them and then engage them under tight time constraints, I don't see how either this particular kind of optic (with better glass, better native ballistics program, good lazer) wouldn't just speed up your workflow a ton (and I'm comparing that to 2 guys both running Kilo3000s with guns that shoot the same dope). I mean it's basically like having a Raptar built into your scope. Maybe I'm just dreaming or asking for too much but all the tech exists so why can't someone just combine it all into one optic for us? haha

I use an elim 4 on pdogs. I have several ranches I do control service for owners. ill set up a safe lane from 100 to 400 yards, then start picking them off with a suppressed 243. Its range, adj for wind hold off, shoot.
its very efficient and fast, i clean out a lane before most know whats going on.
i put a elim3 on a hornet. It handles the rain bow trajectory out to 200 yds fast.
am i lazy? nope, efficient. I can use ranging binos and reticle offsets. This is so much faster,
i clean out a lane then shift position to pik up another

Reactions: cheeko
I have both the Elim 3 and 4. Got the 4 a few week after the 3, open box sale that was too good to pass up.
I mounted the 4 first, and its a lot easier to operate with the blue tooth remote than the 3 (though it has buttons
too).
gave solid ranges. since I am using this at 400 yards and didn't have a 750 yard range (300 is my Max avail) I did
some curve fitting and came up with a means to calibrate at 300.
first, I used the 750 yard dope from ballistic program, set for my altitude. I then zeroed at 100, shot for effect at 300.
It was on paper, as expected with 100 yard zero. It was low by several inches, I raised 750 dope by scale 1"=12" at 750.
got me very close, then I tweaked 750 dope till I had elev good at 300.

I then shot small juice cans set at 150-350 yards. they are size fatal zone on pdogs, and record shot impact for later analysis.
this is important as the spline they use to hold led aim spot obscures hit and even close misses depending on range.
eat 400 I found spline completely obcurred can, hence limit was 350 yards
worked fine, was able to hold inside can at any range to 350.

I doubt scope was developed with small varmints, rather for bigger game. I hold my shots to 400 on ppdogs as explosive
nature of hits with 204, 40 grain loads limited after 400. also, I might hit them but they may only be wounded and will make thier
holes to die slowly. not. my style
I am also thinking. of revvic scope. They monitor scope turrets to indicate adjust range, rely on external RF for range.
you have better optics, no spline and a good reticle, give up the indicated aim point for eliminator. Me thinks I may like that
better...
regardless, the eliminator does have chops. I think. I read here someone used it to tame the steep drop of the hornet within
200 yards. Ill try that with the eliminator 3.....

Revic has an interesting smart scope but it is nice to have a 2000 yard range finder in a scope... the eliminator 4 seems pretty impressive.

I'm sold, I just bought an Eliminator 4. I think it will be perfect for hunting/vermin control on my in-laws farm.

Last edited:
I use an elim 4 on pdogs. I have several ranches I do control service for owners. ill set up a safe lane from 100 to 400 yards, then start picking them off with a suppressed 243. Its range, adj for wind hold off, shoot.
its very efficient and fast, i clean out a lane before most know whats going on.
i put a elim3 on a hornet. It handles the rain bow trajectory out to 200 yds fast.
am i lazy? nope, efficient. I can use ranging binos and reticle offsets. This is so much faster,
i clean out a lane then shift position to pik up another

Rainbow trajectory, hell I shoot a .22 LR 200 yards all the time. :)

Yes, but your adjusting for trajectory. I shoot PRS match and have dope card for engaging mult targets at diffrernt ranges while on a timer. The Eliminator allows me to,simply lase target, it adjusts for trajector, i hold wind and shoot, then repeat for next target. very efficient

Yes, but your adjusting for trajectory. I shoot PRS match and have dope card for engaging mult targets at diffrernt ranges while on a timer. The Eliminator allows me to,simply lase target, it adjusts for trajector, i hold wind and shoot, then repeat for next target. very efficient

I've set one up for a friend that wasn't capable, I'd never buy one, glass wasn't that great and I spent too much time getting it set up so it was accurate. I'd rather use a rangefinder and adjust my scope.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
My Eliminator IV came in, one thing that is so impressive about it is that while the fixed reticle is SFP, the digital holdover moves as if it were an FFP scope. Once you laser a target, and have your holdover mark, if you change the magnification the digital holdover mark moves in proportion to the magnification change, amazing! I was not expecting that.

I haven't been able to test/zero it yet, but I am thoroughly impressed by the laser range finder, and it is shockingly light. It feels like it is half the weight of my Sig Tango 6 in a mount. Amazing!

For its price group,i think elim4 is best. The built in RF is very good. I was using mine for pdogs out to 400 yards. Unfort my home state colorado considers it a “smArt rifle” which made it unlawful to use. The sig RF being a separate unit containing ballistic computer and approp sig scope (which displays holdover point) are legal, but i prefered elim3, 4. So i sold mine. Dont think ill buy sig’s combo.

I considered one because the novelty factor sparkle my curiosity but then I thought why would I want my scope and range finder integrated into one unit where if one goes bad I’m out both as opposed to buying a great scope and range finder separately…especially if you wanted to use the range finder in conjunction with several different rifles.

This is the future. It will continue to get better. High end scope manufactures take note.

The revic scope has a very good glass and reticle. If battery or electronics go, say on a trophy hunt, the scope reverts to manual mose with good glass and useable turrets calibrated in .1 mils. Unfort that scope isnt legal in colorado either gor hunting

Swarovski has a really good scope with bulit in RF, aim point in reticle. Very expensive. But price will go down as tech is based on cell phones ( low power embedded processors, turret encoders, accrlerometers, gpd, compasses.).

Another thing that is crazy about the Eliminator IV is that it is so light, like less than 29 oz with the mount. That's within a few oz, of the 1-6 LPVO (with its mount) that I use on my AR. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't just use the eliminator with a light weight 45 degree mounted red dot lol

Just ordered the Elim-4 yesterday. Hope to have it by end of this week.
For now, it will go on a Browning BAR MK-3 Stalker for local varmint control.
Have used the Sig BDX Combo and Garmin Xero X1i (for crossbow) in the past.
They are both fantastic tools and, IMHO, the glass on the Garmin rivals any Leupold or Swarovski for clarity.
From what I have read, the Elim-4 is not as clear, but clarity is subjective.
I'll find out soon enough.
Electro-optics are here to stay. I'm 62 yrs old and accept the fact that tech is creeping into all aspects of our lives.
The ATN 4K pro is probably next on my list.

IMHO, the glass on the Garmin rivals any Leupold or Swarovski for clarity.
That you put Leupold next to Swaro makes me question more than just this statement.
I've run many Leupolds, I own many Swaro, the sentence structure just confuses me.

A friend just bought a 4, I'll be setting it up in a few weeks. I have previously dialed in his prior generations. He loves them, I hate the glass - especially the one that had parallax on the bell; but I am far more comfortable doping for range and wind than is he.

That you put Leupold next to Swaro makes me question more than just this statement.
I've run many Leupolds, I own many Swaro, the sentence structure just confuses me.
It's a general statement about the quality of the Garmin's glass and it's just MHO.
I am an photographer, astro-photographer as well, so I have 50+ years of viewing though many manufacturer's optics.
Camera lenses, telescope eyepieces (Tele-Vue are the cat's meow, IMO), rangefinders, spotting scopes, etc, etc.
And, as stated, clarity is subjective.
If you get the chance, have a look through a Garmin crossbow scope and judge for yourself.
Everyone that handled my TenPoint Havoc RS440 or Vapor RS470 Crossbow/Garmin combo was floored.
Many times better than the Sig BDX combo, for example.

Sorry, to clarify: my comment was not about the Garmin, it was about putting Leupold next to Swaro in a conversation regarding optical quality.

A friend just bought a 4, I'll be setting it up in a few weeks. I have previously dialed in his prior generations. He loves them, I hate the glass - especially the one that had parallax on the bell; but I am far more comfortable doping for range and wind than is he.

Good luck, I set up a 3 for a friend, wouldn't wish that scope on my enemies. Give me a decent FFP scope and I'd be done zeroing it and getting dope in less than an hour.

Just ordered the Elim-4 yesterday. Hope to have it by end of this week.
For now, it will go on a Browning BAR MK-3 Stalker for local varmint control.
Have used the Sig BDX Combo and Garmin Xero X1i (for crossbow) in the past.
They are both fantastic tools and, IMHO, the glass on the Garmin rivals any Leupold or Swarovski for clarity.
From what I have read, the Elim-4 is not as clear, but clarity is subjective.
I'll find out soon enough.
Electro-optics are here to stay. I'm 62 yrs old and accept the fact that tech is creeping into all aspects of our lives.
The ATN 4K pro is probably next on my list.
I had a Elim4. it was easy to calibrate, part if u have a long range avail (5-700 yards). The laser was very good, much better than elim3. The bluetooth control was also ver handy. I ended up selling it, as my application was pdogs. the reticle was too coarse for pdogs beyond 300 yards. For larger game it was very workable….
they have an elim5 with 20x mag, haven’t looked at it.
i ended up buying a used Revic smart scope. added a LRF mounted on rifle…

Sorry, to clarify: my comment was not about the Garmin, it was about putting Leupold next to Swaro in a conversation regarding optical quality.
There are plenty of things not to like about Leupold, but their glass is generally pretty clear. Don't be "that guy" who's just hating on a brand and refusing to see the point. He didn't say those two were equal, just that they're both good.

There is a time, place for such devices. I do varmint control, often a very target rich environment. Id rather keep my situational awareness (safe direction, backstop, moving livestock,etc) than have my head in a dope sheet, RF, etc. And even with a suppressed rifle, its i important too hit as many as possible before they become alerted.

Update last Sunday i went out on my pdog reduction effort for a s dakota rancher. I have good experience with my equipt RPR 556 rebarrelled in 204 ruger, 1/11 twist for 40 grain vmax, revic moa scope with hud and balllistic engine, silencerco rifle mounted LRF.
I set up shooting lanes that were safe, usually means after i exercise a lane i need to pick up and relocate for next..
i put the LRF in scan mode, it reports range (raw range) wherever the scope reticle is pointed. I start at longest distance conditions allow. If im flat and level, with winds greater 10 mph that may be 300 yards. In this case winds were predictable around 6 mph, i was on top gentle slope looking down so 425 was longest range.

i dialed range, held off for wind, shot. Pdogs in lane looked in my direction and didnt see the one i hit. I moved to next farthest, dialed range, adjusted wind holdoff and missed underneath. i wasnt loading bipod enough, common when imswitch targets. he ran a ways, turned around and ran to top of hid mound and i hit on second shot. My experience is they may stop on top mound after a miss, but only for a few seconds.

I went down the lane, with many having moved but unsure of whats going one. I ended up with 12 for the lane, one miss but no wounded. then i moved To next lane position

is it easy, no. You have to really get your process down, adjust your fundamentals as you change targets. i used to do this with both elev and wind holdoffs on reticle, but its easy to make bad calls and i ended up wounding more than i like (one is too many). If i wound i stay with pdog till its either down hole or i killed it, but thats also a lot more shooting for a single target.

a rancher will pay 300$ for a meadow poisoning. Within 3 monrhs the field id full again, as new pdogs migrate in to fill vacuum, they reproduce wo any competition. If you cull them, they will keep migrants out. the biggest threat to pups are the adults 3 holes down, they will raid holes and cannibalize unrelated pups..
obviously, its better to keep them culled, but you have to be efficient…

Looking good on the Browning BAR Mark3 Stalker, 243 Win, in my opinion.
Not the best grouping rifle I have by far, but sure is fun to shoot.

20220826_142324.jpg