• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris eliminator III remote control problem

BClean

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Hi folks,

today I want to ask the community for anybody's experience with the Burris eliminator III remote control scope. I purchased this scope for my .243 Win varmint rifle which I am using for longer than usual distances on foxes. So far I am happy with the scope as long as I use it during daytime. In low light conditions it could be much better but it is what it is you get what you pay for.

Shortly after installation maybe 10-12 times of usage
the remote control worked great but all of a sudden it quit working. Upon reclamation Burris replaced the remote cable which attaches to one of the two switches at the scope and everything was fine again. Then again after 10-12 times of usage same defect and again they sent a new cable switch. Now for the third time the cable switch stopped working and they sent the 4th cable switch with the comment that they never had that problem before. This is a declaration well known from car and bike builders. When I asked them if they needed the old part they denied, so I opened the old cable switch at the cable gland where it connects to the scope. As assumed the cables had broken off the soldering points. They only showed 1-2 mm of lenght outside the isolation. Reason is very simple....they did not provide a strain relief to the cable and therefore, if tension is applied to the cables spiral when attached to the rifle stock, the cable gets thrown out of the gland and after a short while the tiny soldering points break loose, hence no more contact.

I did the repair myself and tried to provide more strenght to the connection by using 2layers of shrinkable tubing and adding flexible glue, but without strain relief I'd bet it will break again after a short while. The new cable is the same as the old one was, so I do not expect it to be more durable and reliable.

Has anyone out there similar experience and can provide tips and tricks as to how one could improve the connection between gland and cable via tension relief? Is there any universal connecting cable gland or switch that could be used to replace the burris chinese crap. Maybe somebody knows a universal strain relief device which fits the burris cable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards Bernhard

Seems the cable remote version didnt sell and they discontinued it. Now i know why. I bought the el 4 with wireless remote. I also jury rigged the elim 3 with a sw bot and a wireless remote. Press remote and the sw bot pushes button at end of scope. Used goriila tape, aint pretty but it works

Seems the cable remote version didnt sell and they discontinued it. Now i know why. I bought the el 4 with wireless remote. I also jury rigged the elim 3 with a sw bot and a wireless remote. Press remote and the sw bot pushes button at end of scope. Used goriila tape, aint pretty but it works
Finally getting around to using my remote on my El 4. Can I shut it off? Or just run the battery down keeping the light on? Thank you