• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TXBodean

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
Texas
Well I took a chance and ordered one of the Burris Eliminator III laser ranging riflescopes to play with and see if it would suit for the Sniper Hide Cup shoot this May. When I got it in I was relatively impressed with the optics, build quality, and overall appearance. That being said I was not impressed with the retical knobs, but if the scope works as advertised they should only be rarely adjusted anyway. I've also become used to side mounted parallax adjustments, so it was a stretch to use the adjustment on the objective lens (no pun intended). I also would have preferred to have had the activation buttons closer to me. All that being said let me go on to how the scope functions.

I sighted it in at 100 yards without batteries, as they were not needed for this purpose. Sighting in was routine and in just a few rounds was able to get sub MOA bulls eye groupings. It was now time to tune the scope to my particular load, in my case the Hornady 140g A-Max in 6.5 Creedmoor. To do so you input your bullet's G1 Ballistic Coefficient and it's drop in inches at 750 yards (drop number). Although the scope comes with a pretty comprehensive table of loads I used my calculated drop from my Ballistics program and then confirmed it at 600 yards (which happened to be dead on).

At that point I would hold my cross hairs on my target, push the range button, and then read the range in yards and the wind offset in mils for a 10mph full value wind, and then hold at the indicated red dot on the vertical retical extension. I was limited to 600 yards max range but between 100 and 600 it was on good enough to routinely hit 6" steel gongs. I was very happy and impressed with one small exception:

The electronics are designed to keep your wind and elevation holds displayed for 90 seconds or until you range again. After 90 seconds they go off and you have to push the range button to reacquire. At least that was the way it was supposed to work. On this particular scope though, when I let the range display time out it would not reactivate until you actually removed and reinstalled the battery. In fact to verify my 600yd ballistic inputs I left the battery case off so that the recoil would jar the battery loose and I'd then reinstall to range another target. Thinking that I had a weak battery I purchased a brand new one but it had the same issue. Burris tech support told me to return the scope, which I have done; but with their published warranty turn-around times of 4-6 weeks I am concerned that I won't have it back in time to acclimate prior to the Cup match.

Hopefully this was just an outlier glitch, as the capabilities really impressed me in the short time that i had to play with it. It does irk me to have thrown away a number of VERY hard to find factory rounds when I just barely have enough for the match.

Amazingly I received a new replacement Eliminator III scope today. Although haven't shot it yet it does not have the same issue as the first one. Kudos to Burris for such a rapid turn around. They had quoted me several weeks.

Burris does not repair the eliminator scopes, they only get replaced. And the turnaround times stated on the website are for when hunting season is in full swing. I used to work for them in their repair dept.

Reactions: Bravo6
Burris Eliminator III

I'm a little biased, but Jay and I were flown out to Burris last May and got a chance tour the facility in Greeley. The entire afternoon was spent shooting the Eliminator III on various rifles and calibers. Made me a believer. I'd have to say that I was really impressed with the over all package that they had put together. The electronics were sound, quick and intuitive. Set up was a breeze. I was really surprised at the glass quality. I figured at the price point the scope was at, along with the advanced electronics that were in the system that the optical quality was going to suffer greatly. I was pleasantly surprised the the optics were better than expected. Burris sure has come a long way.

Burris Eliminator Laser Scopes

I wasn't pleased with the build quality of the eliminator 3. I think it's fine for hunting, but not tactical. The knobs are irrelevant IMHO, because you are not supposed to need them once it's zeroed in. I sold mine for a $200 loss here on the hide.

It's a little bit after the fact but I figured that I'd post a summary of my experience using the Burris Eliminator III at this year's Snipers Hide Cup. Basically the scope did pretty well in the overcast and early mornings, ranging out to 1100 yards on one stage. When it worked, it worked well; putting me pretty much on target if I did my part. But since the steel targets were 6" to 12" tall, with some at extreme ranges and often shooting in bright sunlight, the ranging features only worked about 30% of the time. I fell back to using my Leica 1600 to range before shooting and used the Mildots for hold offs. By the way, I have my doubts that the Mildots are calibrated properly, but have not checked it out at this time. The optics were clear enough but I was so disappointed with the scope's performance that I was going to sell or trade it as soon as I got back. But during the 2 day drive back to TX I had time to reflect and realized that I probably had set unrealistic expectations for it. Targets at that size at those ranges were probably beyond the expectations of the scopes performance. For hunting larger game it would probably be perfectly suitable. So I still have the scope, although I am not really sure which rifle it's going to end up on.