• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris Fastfire? Good enough for a 300 blk upper?

In2b8u

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
WV Elkins
Getting a 300 Blk out upper built out of one of my Mega Group buy ar's. Config is going to be a lightweight patrol upper, 16.5, 1-8 tr, threaded for 7.62 sd.
I was thinking of installing a Burris Fastfire 2 for my optic. Looking for a fast point and aquire, not engaging targets out past 100 yards. Farm gun and some hunting, nothing crazy.
Thoughts? Opinions? I was really looking to keeping the overall cost down on this optic. I have never shot one, and was wondering from those that have put rounds through the optic if they have any insight into the optic.
Thanks in advance. db

Re: Burris Fastfire? Good enough for a 300 blk upper?

I have shot them on pistols and on one rifle. I a pistol they are great as long as you don't expect it to be as tough as a Trijicon I have seen several with broken glass from mild bumps. I didn't like it on the rifle, for me it was to small of a window to pick up and see the dot quickly.

If you want something smaller sized for your rifle I would go with the Aimpoint T1

I would hold off until you can get an aimpoint h1. The aimpoint will serve you well for many years and you will not have to baby it like you would the Burris.

Thank you for the heads up and the advice.

I think they are too small as a primary sight on a rifle. In fact, I don't care for the Aimpoint T1 sized optic either. The entire point of a red dot is for a fast optic where head location is flexible. Why restrict that with a smaller sight window. When you line it up in a normal shooting position, it isn't that much different. But when shooting from improvised position, the bigger sight window gives you more flexibility and is faster to acquire (which is the point of a red dot). The mini- & micro-red dots are great for pistols and very compact SBR or SMGs. But on a carbine, I personally like the 30mm red dot.

I agree that they are too small for a carbine. However, they go great and look great on a Krinkov SBR.