• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris Optics at the JC Steel Challenge

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    Burris was a big sponsor of the JC Steel Challenge in Benge, Washington this past weekend. Jeff Spaulding of Caracal USA donated two AR15s that we used from the Helicopter stage. Burris donated two of the new 1-8 XTR II's with PEPR mounts to go up top. They also provided several of the new HD 20-60x85 spotting scopes that are about to hit the market.

I continually asked people for their thoughts, and feedback was overwhelmingly positive on both of these optics. I saw a lot of surprised faces coming off that new spotter. People were impressed with the quality, and impressed again when I told them a wide angle 30x mil or moa SCR reticle eyepiece was also available. You fellas should check these out if you get the opportunity. Burris is currently running a $100 rebate on XTR II's!!

The 1-8's and mounts went on the prize table after the match.

Here's some fun from the Helo..

https://youtu.be/dcvHKY1PtAE

Last edited:
    The Burris spotters and 1-8 XTR II's were awesome and I really appreciate all the sponsors that supported the event. This match was the most organized, most fun and most challenging match that I have been to. The match ran seamless with some of the complex stages that I have seen at a long range precision match. Great job to all those involved in setting this up.

I have 3 XTRII's and they are an extremely good scope in my opinion, I used to have a DMR and XRS, ran some Nightforce & Vortex as well and I wouldn't have went over to Burris if I didn't think they were of the same quality and features. I argue with guys all the time that haven't ever put time in behind the Burris that its of the same quality for less money, Im not sponsored by Burris or get any kickbacks in any way and I still feel this way. Glass is clear, tracking is superb on all tests and returns, turrets are crisp, scope is built very sturdy, and great choice of reticles. Im not saying other companies don't build great quality optics by any means but for me I could spend less money, do the same things the other brands did, and have money left over to spend on other things for my rifles. Just my 2 cents take it how you will...

Last edited:
    Happy I picked up an XTR II yesterday sold the other brand scope wasn't cutting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 XTRII's and they are an extremely good scope in my opinion, I used to have a DMR and XRS, ran some Nightforce & Vortex as well and I wouldn't have went over to Burris if I didn't think they were of the same quality and features. I argue with guys all the time that haven't ever put time in behind the Burris that its of the same quality for less money, Im not sponsored by Burris or get any kickbacks in any way and I still feel this way. Glass is clear, tracking is superb on all tests and returns, turrets are crisp, scope is built very sturdy, and great choice of reticles. Im not saying other companies don't build great quality optics by any means but for me I could spend less money, do the same things the other brands did, and have money left over to spend on other things for my rifles. Just my 2 cents take it how you will...

I don't know which models of NF or Vortex you were referring too but it had to be the PST gen 1 line or the SHV line maybe when you are talking just as good when it comes to glass... I've had the Burris and the glass doesn't even sniff NF or Vortex's upper end stuff... As long as we are comparing each companies 1000 dollar offerings then I would probably agree with your statement.. The Burris does track true and is built strong it seems, the SCR reticle is also a nice feature...

I don't know which models of NF or Vortex you were referring too but it had to be the PST gen 1 line or the SHV line maybe when you are talking just as good when it comes to glass... I've had the Burris and the glass doesn't even sniff NF or Vortex's upper end stuff... As long as we are comparing each companies 1000 dollar offerings then I would probably agree with your statement.. The Burris does track true and is built strong it seems, the SCR reticle is also a nice feature...

No im not comparing the Burris to the most expensive Vortex or NF but I would compare it with PST and NXS, again I have had this discussion with many guys who favor one over the other and the guys who said the Burris was terrible compared to NF and Vortex I think your optic needed sent in to Burris to be looked at. I have had them both side by side on the range for extended periods and couldn't see a whole lot of difference or enough to make me want to pay the extra money. I also am COMPARING and I think they are in the same ballpark, not saying that a $1,000 Burris is better than a $2,500 NF or Vortex. My whole point to everyone is I have never missed a shot due to my glass being not quite as good as some German glass, I also would like to see how many have made more shots simply due to glass being a little more clear? Some guys on here have argued that they are just shooting at further distance an smaller targets than me and thats definitely possible, but unless your shooting coins at 1,500yds I dont see where the argument has any weight. 100% S&B, Hensoldt, Kahles, March, etc the best glass out there but for me the extra money compared to how much clarity gained isn't worth it, maybe if I was shooting PRS matches to a point where I was sponsored it would be a different story. Again just my 2 cents I dont work for Burris so it doesn't hurt my feelings that you dont feel the same.

Most decent glass looks just fine at the range during daylight hours. dawn or dusk tells the tale, in addition to picking out small targets concealed in shadows.

No im not comparing the Burris to the most expensive Vortex or NF but I would compare it with PST and NXS, again I have had this discussion with many guys who favor one over the other and the guys who said the Burris was terrible compared to NF and Vortex I think your optic needed sent in to Burris to be looked at. I have had them both side by side on the range for extended periods and couldn't see a whole lot of difference or enough to make me want to pay the extra money. I also am COMPARING and I think they are in the same ballpark, not saying that a $1,000 Burris is better than a $2,500 NF or Vortex. My whole point to everyone is I have never missed a shot due to my glass being not quite as good as some German glass, I also would like to see how many have made more shots simply due to glass being a little more clear? Some guys on here have argued that they are just shooting at further distance an smaller targets than me and thats definitely possible, but unless your shooting coins at 1,500yds I dont see where the argument has any weight. 100% S&B, Hensoldt, Kahles, March, etc the best glass out there but for me the extra money compared to how much clarity gained isn't worth it, maybe if I was shooting PRS matches to a point where I was sponsored it would be a different story. Again just my 2 cents I dont work for Burris so it doesn't hurt my feelings that you dont feel the same.

And that argument is a sound one, everyone has their own opinion on glass and what they prefer.. I would agree with you that Burris's glass is on par with a PST gen 1, they are a good value option for those who don't want optimum clarity, resolution and are just happy banging steel and getting the hits they are trying to achieve.. It does save quite a bit of coin going in that direction... End result, as long as your happy, that's all that matters...

I've given up on glass comparisons. There are simply too many variables from one individual to the next to ever truly define what's best, or even better.

I know this though, I've spent countless hours behind my XTR II's. I have an H591 on 3 competition rifles, a 6mm Creedmoor bolt gun, my 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun, and a 6.5 Grendel gas gun. I have a 5-25 on my 223 trainer, a 6.5 hunting rifle, a 300 Norma Magnum hunting rifle, and then several other rifles that receive a little less play time. I also have a couple 1-8's on 3 gun rifles that see more abuse in a year than many scopes see in a lifetime. And none of them have ever let me down. No malfunctions, no errors, 100% reliable. The glass has been up to the task through everything I have used it for in competition and year round hunting. I spot my hits and my misses as often as anyone else does, and even in low light hunting, I can see my game. I tracked a black bear through shaded timber last fall first thing in the morning. It was the first time I ever used my illumination. The dreaded, and much overrated, dawn and dusk scenario was a non-issue.

Rather than getting caught up on what scope is better between this one and that one and what scope does this or that better, I'll just say my scopes do their job very well. And I can always rely on them to do so.