• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris or Bushnell?

Drew_1312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Rochester, Indiana
New to the Hide and I need some help!

I'm trying to decide on which scope to mount on my AR without spending $1000. Going to mount it in the Nightforce unimount, which I already have. I thinking of going with the Burris Six X series, 2-12x40 with target knobs. Love the power range on this scope and Burris says that the glass has 98% light transmission. Sounds great but I've never had a Burris scope so I don't know what to expect. The Six X is a new scope and I placed my order with Burris but have no idea how long it will take. Burris also offers a 55% law enforcement discount (from MSRP). Also considering the Bushnell Elite 6500, 2.5-16x42. Never had a Bushnell either. Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Burris or Bushnell?

Horus Hawk 3-12x50mm

Is a great optic at $500.

You can get long range with a 100yd ZERO 700-800yds dependent on the bullet used.

John

I've got a Sun Devil Mfg upper and lower, 20" heavy barrel, Young Manufacturing match chrome bolt and carrier, YHM smooth rifle forearm.

I've got a .308 so I don't need my AR to reach 500 yards or beyond, but it would be mice if it could. AR is going to be a back-up to patrol rifle I guess. Hoping to get to sniper school and it will be a short range sniper rifle.

I really don't want to go over a 42mm objective because the low unimount is the perfect height. Looking for something with good power range, around 2-12.

I have a Burris XTR and a Elite 6500. Both scopes are nearly identical in optics at dusk. The Burris has better eye relief. TM

I just picked up two new scopes, a new VX3 LR and Burris XTR.

The Leupold is supposed to be superior with it's new coatings.

I can't tell a difference between the two.

Never been a Burris fan till now. I'm liking it.

I've got a Burris XTR on my LR-308 and been happy with it. IMO it's as a sharp and bright as my Leupy Mk4. However, neither one has been stressed much, so I've got no opinion or info on long-term use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drew_1312</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the power range on this scope and Burris says that the glass has 98% light transmission </div></div>

It may have 98% light transmission per lense surface and most scopes have about 13 lense surfaces.

If you are open to other options, you might look at a Zeiss. They are tested to be twice as recoil resistant as a Burries, Leupold, or Bushnell, and loose less than 1% of light transmission per lense surface.

Bushnell has OK customer service...Sometimes a little hard to get through and they asked me to pay shipping on a defective scope I received.

I have a Burris Black Diamond and am happy with it. Burris is quick to communicate and has a no BS warranty. I lost the scope's paperwork and they sent me everything for free.

Also check out the Falcon Menace; for the money you get much more scope. I'm walking out the door in 5 minutes to go zero mine and put rounds down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerHossMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Burris Black Diamond and am happy with it. Burris is quick to communicate and has a no BS warranty. I lost the scope's paperwork and they sent me everything for free. </div></div>

I have had similar results from Burris
The only difference was the scope in question was over 15 years old.

I have a Burris FF2 Tactical 3-9 on my AR, its a ok scope, nothing to rave about, but it does track well and does hold its zero. Then again its mounted on a .223

Bushnell is not bad either, I would put it up there with the Burris.

Having said that, Im with Babo on this one, get a Falcon.

I've got a 3200 5x15x40 tactical on my predator pursuit and haven't had a problem with it. It's a well built scope for the money IMHO.

P1160040.jpg

Quick update for anyone who cares!

Canceled my order with Burris today. I was going to get the Six X with targets knobs. Talked it over with a buddy and I think I was trying to make a hunting scope into a tactical scope! The Six X doesn't have any paralax adjustment. Thought hard about the Falcon Menace, but I wanted something that goes lower than 4x. Going to go with the Bushnell 6500. Hope it's the right decision.

Thanks for all the input and help...ANDY