• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris RT-6 1-6x24 vs. Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 FFP.. We have a winner!

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
Burris RT-6 1-6x24
- Weight: 17.4 OZ
- OAL: 10.13"
- Fixed Parallax: 100 yds.
- MSRP: $444.00

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 FFP
- Weight: 23.9 OZ
- OAL: 10.4"
- Fixed Parallax: 125 yds.
- MSRP: $799.99

I own both of these LPVO scopes, and was trying to decide which one to use on my personal 5.56 gun. Aside from glass clarity, I was trying to decide which one gave me faster target acquisition up close and at distance. And, generally, which one worked better for me.

For the up-close "both eyes open" shooting test, I used 12 steel plates in sizes varying from 6 to 12 inches at a distance of 50 feet. I shot 2 rounds of 12 shots per round per gun, as fast as I could without missing a target. The Burris pointed faster for me, and was just easier and quicker to shoot than the Vortex.

Both scopes have a ballistic type reticle. So, for the distance test, I moved to my rifle range and engaged 4MOA targets from 100 to 600 yards at 100 yard intervals shooting over a bag. Sighted in at 100 yards, The ballistic sub-tensions on both scopes reticles were accurate with American Marksman 5.56 62gr boat tail FMJ (not M855) rounds out to 600 yards. Even though the Vortex has 8x as opposed to the Burris 6x, the Burris has a much more forgiving eye box, clearer glass, and was just easier to shoot at distance. I even tried dialing the power down to 6x on the Vortex, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Being a FFP scope, the ballistic subtensions on the Vortex are accurate at any power. For the Burris, the subtensions are only accurate at full 6 power. However, for me, I will usually shoot steel at 1x out to 100 yards. Anything farther than that, the power gets dialed to full. So, that particular FFP feature of the Vortex provided no benefit for me.

But, the Vortex has a neat range-finder feature at full power that will range a full size silhouette for you. I liked that. But, was this enough for it to nose-out the glass clarity and ease-of-use of the Burris? For me, it wasn't.

In the end, I found that the Vortex was not worth the extra expense over the Burris. For me, the Burris seemed like a better quality optic, and just plain worked better. As always, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the review. I favor a SFP LPVO because I bang them on 1X or max power. There's no dick dancing between the mag range. 1-6/8 seems good for my use of an LPVO. A FFP LPVO better have a reticle usable at 1X or it's gone. Not having a usable reticle at 1X completely defeats the purpose of an LPVO for me.

I've owned untold number of Burris scopes in the past 25yrs. An easy eye box has kept me a Burris buyer all these years. How is the parallax with the RT6? Parallax was stupid terrible on my two XTRII 1-8 and 1.5-8 LPVOs.

Reactions: Schütze
So my understanding is that both of you think the Burris is a valid option for a ar 5.56? Asking because I need an LPVO and Doug has a really good deal on it, thanks.

So my understanding is that both of you think the Burris is a valid option for a ar 5.56? Asking because I need an LPVO and Doug has a really good deal on it, thanks.
I don't have any first hand experience with the RT6. If the OP verifies the parallax isn't terrible I might be more inclined to recommend.

As I said in my review, I would choose it over the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x FFP.

I've owned untold number of Burris scopes in the past 25yrs. An easy eye box has kept me a Burris buyer all these years. How is the parallax with the RT6? Parallax was stupid terrible on my two XTRII 1-8 and 1.5-8 LPVOs.
Even though the parallax was fixed at 100 on the Burris vs. 125 on the Vortex, I liked the parallax on the Burris better.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love the RT6 and own 4 of them, however, this deer season I found its achilles heel.

Low light performance tends to fall off quickly and gets really fuzzy during the 1/2 hour after sunset. Must have been a compromise they were forced to make to hit that price point.

Just something to be aware of..........In good light its a great option. In poor light, not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEWPEWPEW
Don't take this the wrong way, I love the RT6 and own 4 of them, however, this deer season I found its achilles heal.

Low light performance tends to fall off quickly and gets really fuzzy during the 1/2 hour after sunset. Must have been a compromise they were forced to make to hit that price point.

Just something to be aware of..........In good light its a great option. In poor light, not so much.
I stopped buying the Fullfield IIs after the ocular magnifications froze too many times in the cold.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love the RT6 and own 4 of them, however, this deer season I found its achilles heel.

As in most lpvo tactical scopes, they aren't really built for light gathering. I wouldn't want to use it for hunting in low light conditions.