• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris rt6 turrets

eastridge1213

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
I’m looking at putting a lpvo on a .224 Valkyrie upper. Everything I’ve read has pointed me to the Burris rt6 for my $300-350 budget. I’ve read several great reviews of it but none have went into turret repeatability. Turrets are my number one priority and want to make sure they are precise. Any opinions on this from users? Thx

Have you checked the RT-6 reticle against your Valk's ammo? It is possible it'll work out OK, but making sure the BDC more or less lines up would be a thing I'd check out. I'm going to assume you're using it for hunting?

The bdc won’t line up which, but I’d rather use turrets anyway. The rifle with mostly be used for target shooting, coyote hunting and as a dmr if things ever got that bad(Lord forbid). The 1/2 moa adjustment sort of worry me for my 100-600 yd range I’m expecting out of it but better adjustment scopes cost more. I’m hoping the 1/2 adjustment will be sufficient.

Yes. A BDC reticle will accommodate everything from a 22 Rimfire to a 50 BMG.

Every line correlates to a yardage.

I've had my XTRII 1-8 on a 223, a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 308. Worked great for all of them.

Ok, let me ask this. Since the .224 can get out a little way longer than the 1-6 will allow for, is there a one piece scope mount that I could switch between the rt6 and a separate higher magnification scope while maintaining zero on both scopes?

so the rt6 will accommodate the .224 valk?

What he means is that each line will correspond to some distance, might be 234 yards, might be 372 yards. You'll have to plug into a ballstic program and look at the reticle subtension details.

The RT-6 is not really intended for dialling. I set my turrets and forget them. They are not particularly tactile and quite mushy. I would NOT suggest you attempt to dial with them.

What he means is that each line will correspond to some distance, might be 234 yards, might be 372 yards. You'll have to plug into a ballstic program and look at the reticle subtension details.

The RT-6 is not really intended for dialling. I set my turrets and forget them. They are not particularly tactile and quite mushy. I would NOT suggest you attempt to dial with them.

this was what I was asking originally. Which brings me to my last post about one piece bases to be swappable for longer target shooting that would hold zero

I want to buy a donkey but I want him to win the Triple Crown.

That's what this thread may as well be about

that’s why I’m asking, to see if this is realistic before spending money to realize it’s not. I’m the worst at being able to upsell myself to something I don’t need. I don’t mind spending the money to get what I need, but if this highly recommended scope can do the job then there is no need.

this was what I was asking originally. Which brings me to my last post about one piece bases to be swappable for longer target shooting that would hold zero

I believe there are some pretty good mounts that are close. But I believe no matter how much you spend, there are no return to zero guarantees.

I have two different Amrrican Defense mounts that QD on AR platforms. They are usually pretty close. But hell, my $100 Burris PEPR mount came off and went back on to my 6.5 Grendel and I only had to move a .1 left. There's just no telling what you'll get.

But 308Pirate is right. It takes the right tools for the job.. The RT6 is a moderate range optic for fast transitions and holdovers. Not a dial for long range optic.

Yeah, LPVO's are made for hold offs, not dialing. It is easy to make your generic BDC custom to your rifle. It took about 20 minutes to customize the RT-6 reticle for my 6.5 grendel ballistics...

grendel rt-6.jpg

Printed, laminated, and glued into a scope cap (not the Burris RT-6 scope)...
IMG_3471.jpg

Looking around after reading the info here I’ve noticed the xtr II. It’s offered in both the 1-5x24 and 2-10x42. Are these a more solid option?

Ok, let me ask this. Since the .224 can get out a little way longer than the 1-6 will allow for, is there a one piece scope mount that I could switch between the rt6 and a separate higher magnification scope while maintaining zero on both scopes?
You should get a quality QD mount for each scope if you want to do this.

Philosophically, LPVOs are almost never designed for dialing. The one that really seems like it might do what you need is the Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5x (BTR-2), and even at closeout pricing it's considerably more expensive than the RT-6. Something like the XTR II 2-10x sounds a lot closer to what you really want.

Looking around after reading the info here I’ve noticed the xtr II. It’s offered in both the 1-5x24 and 2-10x42. Are these a more solid option?

I've never owned the 1-5, but the 2-10 XTRII is a solid optic. One of the best values out there in 10x. And perhaps a little better fit for you.

I appreciate the help. I’ll look at the Bushnell too. As scopes advance they are so much more capable. I may just have been asking too much of my budget.

while looking at these scopes, what is the go to website to shop optics? Instead of me using google

They have the same turrets as my old MTAC 4.5-14x42 and I have dialed that thing all over the place and back. I’ve shot it out to 750 yards and it returns to zero every time.
They’re not the best feeling turrets but they get the job done.

I appreciate the help. I’ll look at the Bushnell too. As scopes advance they are so much more capable. I may just have been asking too much of my budget.

while looking at these scopes, what is the go to website to shop optics? Instead of me using google
All of the Hide vendors at the foot of the forum main page should be good to go. Of those, Camera Land has sold me 5 out of the last 6 new optics I've purchased. Check the optics PX if you want to consider used scopes; there are some great deals to be found there from time to time.