• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes burris scope fell and lost zero

madav8r

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
I had my savage on my coffee table the other day and it has a burris 6.5-20x50 tactical scope on it. It was zeroed and just shot it the other day and it was perfect. i bumped it and it rolled off and the rifle fell maybe a foot onto the carpet. i was worried so i went out and shot it at paper and it was now hitting about 5in high and 3in to the left. would a little fall like that be enough for a nice scope like that loose its zero so easily?

Re: burris scope fell and lost zero

Yup. But don't blame just the scope, it is the rings and bases fault as well as your clumsy...
laugh.gif

no matter what what you buy. Shooting equipment, cars, household items you get what you pay for. Would it surprise me? No, buy the best you can afford and learn from your previous mistakes.

You guys are being gentle! Have you gone soft?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup. But don't blame just the scope, it is the rings and bases fault </div></div>

Was the base bedded? what kind of base/rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TjohnsonSavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> would a little fall like that be enough for a nice scope like that loose its zero so easily? </div></div>

A nice scope wouldn't have lost it's zero... (Burris is right down the street from me so if you want I can flip them off for ya)

Weaver picatinny base and 6 screw tactical rings. I used lock tight on the base and tightened the rings as tight as i could with the supplied wrench

I've never seen a rifle "roll" before but ok. Go out and re zero the scope and see how it shoots. Maybe you got lucky and just bent the barrel....:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen a rifle "roll" before but ok. Go out and re zero the scope and see how it shoots. Maybe you got lucky and just bent the barrel....:) </div></div>

LMFAO!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TjohnsonSavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver picatinny base and 6 screw tactical rings. I used lock tight on the base and tightened the rings as tight as i could with the supplied wrench</div></div> Maybe you should tighten the rings down some more, the tighter the better!!!

Honestly, the rings need to be torqued to certain specs. You probably bent your scope tube by tightening them so much. READ as much as you can on this sight before doing what you think is right.

Well i guess i came here for help but got sarcasim and statements about my equipment thats not true. Thanks for nothing. For those who did give usefull advice, thanks!

Dude, you got truth.... Sarcastic truth but very much true. The proof is in your post. You dropped your rifle and your gun sight lost its zero. Is that not true? Either your mounting set up was loose or the scope is shit. Now who is not being truthful with you?

Since you already lost zero, I would pull the scope and check the base, verify the rings are still tight and the scope didn't twist or slide.... other than that, all you can do is shoot, rezero, and see if it holds zero....

BTW, try not to be thin skinned....it could be a Premier scope and someone would chime in on how Premiers suck, blah,blah,blah.....shoot what you got as well and as often as you can....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....it could be a Premier scope and someone would chime in on how Premiers suck,</div></div>

Premiers suck, I had one and traded that POS in on a BSA now I shoot 1/18MOA at 2000yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....it could be a Premier scope and someone would chime in on how Premiers suck,</div></div>

Premiers suck, I had one and traded that POS in on a BSA now I shoot 1/18MOA at 2000yards. </div></div>

nice.....

Burris are not bad scopes but it is very possible that the fall shifted something around inside the scope. To be honest, that is the difference between a $400 dollar scope and a $1400 dollar scope my friend.

Not everyone can afford a $1400 scope, and not everyone needs one IMO. Sounds like something either bent, is loose, or broke loose. The recoil from your rifle is more punishment on a scope than falling a few feet on carpet. Also, find someone with a torque wrench to re mount your base and rings to proper specs. Your rings are on way too tight and you may have crushed your scope tube or bound up the adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The recoil from your rifle is more punishment on a scope than falling a few feet on carpet. </div></div>

You are correct, It is very possible that it could be an issue with the mounts. Also, the scope was built to withstand force. However, it was only built to withstand the force experienced during shooting the rifle. Less expensive scopes are often not built to withstand being dropped on the ground. When the scope is dropped on the ground it takes force from a direction that it was never intended to take force from. Because of this, it is possible that the drop shifted the position of the erectors inside of your scope, thus, altering the point of impact

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not everyone can afford a $1400 scope, and not everyone needs one IMO.</div></div>

Some truth here vs. some BS remarks left by some. If you want to compare a decent scope to a Burris, use a Leupold. Not a NF or USO. Apples to apples here guys.

btw, to the op check your base and rings as mentioned.

Is it even possible to crush the tube just with that dinky wrench they supply with the scope. The adjustments still work fine and i dont see any damage. I cant imagine the tube got crushed.

Yes, it is possible to damage the tube with the dinky wrench. If the rail isn't true and/or the rings weren't lapped it's even easier to do so.

Yes, scopes can get knocked out of alignment if you drop them, especially when you add the weight of the rifle and if the rifle landed on them. Just the way of life. Either get stronger equipment or don't drop your rifle/scope...