• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris spotting scope ? Thoughts?

ekaphoto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
Northern California
I am in the market for a new spotting scope and was looking at the Burris. Use will be range and possably hunting but mostly range. I need to be able to see 22 holes at 100 yards minimum. My old one a Nikon field scope 2 could do that but it was made in Japan and now everything is being made in China. I do not want to pay swavorski or zeiss prices. Thanks.

If that is your price range and you don’t need to look for animals at a mile then I would check out the Vortex Razor line. Either the gen1 or gen 2 will fit your needs and its proven to be quality glass.

I've never look through a Burris spotting scope. But if like their higher end scopes, I'm sure the glass is good. I have a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x80 angled spotter and can easily see 22 caliber holes at 100 yards. I think I paid around $1400 when I caught it on sale at Optics Planet. I would recommend you decide what you want then check prices with some of the retailers that advertise here for the best price. You'll get the discounted price or better than what the large online retailers offer when they place an items on sale. I've done that with Camera Land and some other forum venders and always like the prices I got. Plus, didn't have to wait for the item to go sale.

Last edited:
I am in the market for a new spotting scope and was looking at the Burris. Use will be range and possably hunting but mostly range. I need to be able to see 22 holes at 100 yards minimum. My old one a Nikon field scope 2 could do that but it was made in Japan and now everything is being made in China. I do not want to pay swavorski or zeiss prices. Thanks.
When I first started shooting at the Range the only guy who had a spotter had a Tasco 12X36 A couple of years later I bought a Camo version of it, This was back Leupold was the best of the best, And still are in my eyes, I still have that old Tasco and it still looks like new and although I Own the Brown Leupold GR / Mk IV that old Tasco is still my favourite, It is crystal clear and I have used it for Shooting and general Glassing and even gazing at the moon and stars, A lot of folks like the big high powered spotters but no matter what I have been looking at I just don't think a person needs a spotter above 36/40X magnification, and when there is heavy mirage about high power is the last thing you need, Most of the time I run my spotters around the 24 to 28X mark but all of this is my personal preference others might see things different,

But the bottom line is you don't have to spend over 500 bucks to get something that will do the job and like my Leupold high priced spotters are more of a case of want than need because once you get in to a certain price range there is not a lot between them, As I said that old Tasco is still a good average Scope, I don't know much about the newer models and even Leupold have some nice budget models as well, As do other companies, Hope that helps.

Good luck with your choice,(y)

Last edited:
The older Vortex Razor line (grey bodies, like the 20-60x85) were also made in China.

I owned the older Razor and also have looked through the Burris Signature (I assume that’s the product you’re asking about) and the glass seemed largely identical.

The Burris has some nice refinements, primarily the rail for adding a small red dot to aid in fast target acquisition and the actual availability of reticle eyepieces.

I would have no qualms with owning the Burris as it’s seemingly very capable and the old Razor line (that I assume are identical) never seemed to have any issues.

Thankfully with spotters you don’t have repeatability or turret issues to deal with, just the optical lenses, glue and bodies....which the Chinese are seemingly very capable of assembling with little issue.

The Burris spotter is an excellent optic. It's made by LOW in Japan.

I've had it side by side next to my 85mm objective Razor spotter on numerous occasions. If I were able to cover them up so no one could see the brand, I'd buy a chicken dinner for anyone who could look through them and tell them apart.

I've used a few burris spotters. They ranged from meh to pretty good, but I have no idea which exact models they were.

I can say for the "cheaper" end I'd go sightron. They're solid optics, with zero marketing budget.

I picked up a Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide a few weeks ago. It's awesome, but it's $1000 street price. I can say it is right there with the gold rings on glass, but cheaper and heavier.