• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR 6-24X50 to the range.

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
My new Burris XTR 6-24X50 showed up, I ordered it 2nd day and it actually showed up on time.
This will be a 2 part review, I will let you know my initial thoughts on the scope after opening it and playing around with it un-mounted.
After that I will post a Range report.

After discussing this scope with several members here I ordered it for my new 22.250 project , I wanted a high magnification scope that I could dial in or use hold over points.
Burris says the ballistic Mil-dot reticle set around 14X is designed for the 55gr bullet from the 22.250 at around 3600fps depending on elevation.
I wanted this particular set up because it should help me to be a quicker shot on ground squirrels and Coyotes but I also love just punching paper for hours.

My first impressions are;

1. The scope is longer than I thought it would be, it is 16.5” long without the extra 3” sun shade included. The rear tube section is 3.5”long and then the eye piece is another 3-3/4” long so I had to mount it quite
a ways forward on the scope base. Thanks for the tip on the longer base!

DSCN3242.jpg

2.The glass is better than I thought it would be, I took it out this evening and was looking around in some pretty low light. Its defiantly not USO
But for the price ($950)I am happy with its clarity.
The ballistic Mil-dot looks pretty good and its not nearly as thick as I was expecting, I will know how I like it better after a little range time with it.

3. The knobs on this scope are actually pretty neat. They have a separate ring from the Turrets that is adjustable with all the numbering on it. Just playing around with it I was able to set it up like a zero stop easily on the 1 MOA elevation knob.
They include a separate windage ring that has the numbering start at 1 - 8 MOA each way in ¼ MOA clicks. I thought they were all ½ MOA ? But this scope has ¼ MOA windage knob.
DSCN3243.jpg

Over all the scope looks great and feels pretty stout.

OK the cons are, The elevation turret clicks sounds good until I get past the first 6-MOA then they disappear ( completely quiet ) until I get up over 9- MOA.
The set screws on the turrets are way too small as some of you already told me, I already started to strip one out just playing around with it. The Allen wrench for them is one of the smallest I have seen.
The eye piece is slightly looser than I would prefer, The whole thing rotates with the power setting but it wiggles a little too.

The sun shade is not the same color as the scope, I will paint it.

This scope seems pretty nice and if it performs well I should be very happy with it for this particular rifle. I will take it to the range soon, Then I will report the important stuff to you.

Re: Burris XTR 6-24X50 is here.

Nice scope! I'm looking forward to reading the second part of the review.

I do like the Burris scopes. I noticed you have a carbon wrapped barrel. When you start shooting a few rounds through it, the barrel will heat up and radiat the heat off the barrel, much more than a steel barrel will. You may want to look into a few more sunshades, or a barrel mirage band. This will help. I like the carbon barrels, but they are hard to see over after a few rounds.

it look like a well built scope. I am interested as well. Do you have any other scopes like falcon to compare the glass to? Thanks.

I took the XTR/22,250 to the range today . First of all I liked the view through this scope, This is not USO or Premier by any means but I must say it again, I really like the glass in this scope for the price. I was able to pick out very small lines and small bugs landing on the target @ 100yds . I was able to depict the tops of the sage brush leaves and there colors with pretty good clarity. A lot of the time the grey sage color just runs together.

Not too good of picture but you get the idea @ 100 yds
DSCN3258.jpg

The reticle is pretty thick for target shooting and if this were strictly a target rifle I would get a different scope with a target dot or some finer reticle. as you guys said it is going to cover most of a ground squirrel at 600 yds but it looks like it is going to be great for coyote hunting. I think it will work fine for this multi purpose rifle I want.
I liked the 1-MOA -- ¼ MOA knob configuration. I was able to tune this scope in quickly and even with the thick reticle I was able to shoot a nice .765” center to center five shot group @ 100yds. This was after only 10 rounds to zero it at 100yds.
DSCN3253.jpg

The 1-MOA elevation clicks would probably be to coarse for some situations.
The Ballistic Mil-dot hold over points worked very well out to 600yds. I read that I needed to be around 3600fps at 14X but I was closer to 2710fps. Even at the higher velocity I was making quick shots on bottles and other miscellaneous trash clear out to 600 easily.
DSCN3254.jpg

DSCN3256.jpg

I was having a lot of fun just seeing how quickly and accurately I could hit targets at random distances.
I have been borrowing the stock off of my 300wsm to test this rifle, After I get the new thumbhole stock for it I will need to do a little more testing with this scope but I am glad that I ordered it for this particular rifle build .
Now I need to get out and find some critters to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnCalloway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it look like a well built scope. I am interested as well. Do you have any other scopes like falcon to compare the glass to? Thanks. </div></div>

No I don’t have a Falcon, I think the Leupold MK4 is better due to the color tint, I just see better in low light with the MK4.