• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II 1-8????

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I picked up a SR15 last year and I'm ready to fit her with a decent optic. I don't have Nightforce of Minox money right now so I would love to hear your opinions on the Burris XTR II 1-8...Thanks

I have no interest in any other optics at this time ..thsnks

It's a very good optic and very underrated for the class its in IMO. Made at the LOW factory in Japan, good edge to edge glass, and both FFP and SFP options. I like them and we have the FFP model in stock, call 916.670.1103 for hide pricing.

I picked up a SR15 last year and I'm ready to fit her with a decent optic. I don't have Nightforce of Minox money right now so I would love to hear your opinions on the Burris XTR II 1-8...Thanks

I have no interest in any other optics at this time ..thsnks

Opinions, ? well, sir, you have come to the right place.

I am not a big Burris fan, but also not a detractor. I love so many scopes, that I would like to think of myself as an equal opportunity scope fanatic. That said, the only scopes I like of Burris are the low-power XTR-II. You have picked the best scope, in my opinion, that Burris makes. It is a solid scope. I also like the other siblings, like the 1.5-8x, but this one is made in Japan and has a solid true 1X.

Bottom line, it is a nice optic. I would say, however, that in that price range (here he goes, he was told not to stray to other scopes...), you could also consider a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. Street prices are pretty close.

I
    It's a very good optic and very underrated for the class its in IMO. Made at the LOW factory in Japan, good edge to edge glass, and both FFP and SFP options. I like them and we have the FFP model in stock, call 916.670.1103 for hide pricing.

I just gave you a call about my RPR and MINOX package....might as well add it in.

Reactions: CSTactical
    I reviewed it a little while ago:
    http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2050

ILya

In your review you posted pics at 2x 4x 6x 8x ... Do you remember what the distance to the Bush ???... Also I can see the appeal of that Reticle, but I had it on the Burris 1.5-8 and absolutely hated it and that Scope, also why the Trijicon is a no go. have you any time behind the Ballistic Dot Reticle???

I love the Burris 1-8 FFP. I've had some nice glass too. Most underrated LPV on the market. Reticle is actually pretty decent.

In your review you posted pics at 2x 4x 6x 8x ... Do you remember what the distance to the Bush ???... Also I can see the appeal of that Reticle, but I had it on the Burris 1.5-8 and absolutely hated it and that Scope, also why the Trijicon is a no go. have you any time behind the Ballistic Dot Reticle???

The furthest wooden log in those pictures is 100 yards. The slope of the hill that the scope is pointed at is a bit further than that. ~125 yards or so. The metal plate on the lower right part of the image is at 100 yards and is what I use for offhand practice (which is why I was on that side of the range).

That reticle is not available in the 1.5-8x to the best of my knowledge, so I am not sure how you managed to hate it there. The large circle makes a big difference at low magnifications to me.

The Ballistic Dot reticle in the 1-8x24 is in the second focal plane, so it is a very different use case. I have some time with it, but with 1-8x24 I prefer FFP, which is why I focused on the scope I reviewed.

Trijicon is a nice scope, but I do not like segmented circles very much. Also, the segmented circle part of the reticle is too large at aroudn 20 mrad than I like in a FFP design. I do like mil scale in the Trijicon reticle. I think 10 mrad circle in the Burris reticle is more useful for speed.

The illumination in the Trijicon is a little dimmer and the distortion at 1x is more prominent.

Trijicon is a nice design, but I think Burris works better for me at low magnifications.

ILya

The furthest wooden log in those pictures is 100 yards. The slope of the hill that the scope is pointed at is a bit further than that. ~125 yards or so. The metal plate on the lower right part of the image is at 100 yards and is what I use for offhand practice (which is why I was on that side of the range).

That reticle is not available in the 1.5-8x to the best of my knowledge, so I am not sure how you managed to hate it there. The large circle makes a big difference at low magnifications to me.

The Ballistic Dot reticle in the 1-8x24 is in the second focal plane, so it is a very different use case. I have some time with it, but with 1-8x24 I prefer FFP, which is why I focused on the scope I reviewed.

Trijicon is a nice scope, but I do not like segmented circles very much. Also, the segmented circle part of the reticle is too large at aroudn 20 mrad than I like in a FFP design. I do like mil scale in the Trijicon reticle. I think 10 mrad circle in the Burris reticle is more useful for speed.

The illumination in the Trijicon is a little dimmer and the distortion at 1x is more prominent.

Trijicon is a nice design, but I think Burris works better for me at low magnifications.

ILya

Thanks... Was The Trijicon revised the latest model??? A and because I was just reading somewhere that they have fixed it to be a true daylight visible.

Thanks... Was The Trijicon revised the latest model??? A and because I was just reading somewhere that they have fixed it to be a true daylight visible.

I doubt it was the latest model. It has been a little while. I do not think the reticle changed though.

With scopes that start at 1x, I am really picky about performance at 1x.

ILya

Any one have some pics of the Burris at x8 at 2-300yrds ???

I found this pic of the Trijicon x8 at 300yrds, it's nice the hold overs are clear at distance, the center is huge!!! And looks like is would completely cover any targets smaller than 12" x12"

The Accupower reticle at 8x. Building is at 300 yards.
    IMG_0634-2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
    Any one have some pics of the Burris at x8 at 2-300yrds ???

I found this pic of the Trijicon x8 at 300yrds, it's nice the hold overs are clear at distance, the center is huge!!! And looks like is would completely cover any targets smaller than 12" x12"

The Accupower reticle at 8x. Building is at 300 yards.
    View attachment 6876823

The center cross is one by one mrad and the center line thickness is 0.2mrad. It is fairly thick, but it does not block all that much of the target. Still, not my favourite aiming point.

The mil-scale part of the reticle, I like, although I could easily do without the vertical portion above center.

As I said, I like some parts of this reticle, but overall found the Burris reticle more practical for my type of shooting.

ILya

The center cross is one by one mrad and the center line thickness is 0.2mrad. It is fairly thick, but it does not block all that much of the target. Still, not my favourite aiming point.

The mil-scale part of the reticle, I like, although I could easily do without the vertical portion above center.

As I said, I like some parts of this reticle, but overall found the Burris reticle more practical for my type of shooting.

ILya

Thanks again ...... Boy I'm really having a hard time with this decision, and I think mostly because I hated the 1.5-8 with a pasion. I love that the Burris has the BDC and is simplistic, but I'm also liking the TMR Style Reticle on the Triji for more precise holdovers. The segmented circle is thick, but it's actually winning me over due to the fact is doesn't obstruct my windage.

I really need to see what the Burris looks like at some distance.

Can I ask why you hated the Burris 1.5-8x scope? I’m actually considering that one for my Scar 17s. I just can’t picture how the dual focal planes work at various magnifications. Any chance you can post pics of your 1.5-8x reticle at a few different magnifications?
    Thanks.

I used to have pics of all these reticles at various magnifications, but I can't seem to find them. I think they are on one of my laptops.

The Burris 1-8 is definitely one of the most underrated LPV's on the market. It has all the features and quality of LOT of scopes that cost a heck of a lot more money. I'm always surprised that it doesn't get more consideration here on the Hide. It's a different scope than the 1.5-8. Different reticle, FFP or SFP versus the 1.5x DFP. MAD Turret system on the 1x (capped or uncapped). The reticle on the 1x has very useable windage in .5 mil increments, which I like very much. It's a very feature rich optic.

I actually like the 1.5-8 for a DMR. I ran mine on one for some time. The BDC reticle becomes more fine for greater distances and will take you out there pretty far with holdovers. On my 308 the 9 line equated to 930 yards. All without dialing.

""Overall, I am really impressed with what the XTR II offers for the money. It seems to be offering comparable performance to its competitors while costing less, by a non-trivial amount.""

I'm quoting Ilya here from the end of his review. But I think this statement is dead nuts accurate.

Last edited:
    Can I ask why you hated the Burris 1.5-8x scope? I’m actually considering that one for my Scar 17s. I just can’t picture how the dual focal planes work at various magnifications. Any chance you can post pics of your 1.5-8x reticle at a few different magnifications?
    Thanks.

Sorry I sold that thing quick!!!

Thanks for the links I saw those yesterday... And the Burris does seem to have just about everything I need, but I think I'm gonna give the Triji a go, and worst case scenario I can sell it and get the Burris.

Looks like a great scope if you are okay with BDCs.
    They are only accurate for a specific load from a specific barrel length with a specific height over bore. Others are subtensioned by averaging ballistic drops, which means the markings fit no specific loadout, and only give you a general idea of where your shot is going.

Personally I think you are much better served by a mil measured reticle. it's not that much work to dial in your load and figure out your own exact subtensions.

They are only accurate for a specific load from a specific barrel length with a specific height over bore. Others are subtensioned by averaging ballistic drops, which means the markings fit no specific loadout, and only give you a general idea of where your shot is going.

Personally I think you are much better served by a mil measured reticle. it's not that much work to dial in your load and figure out your own exact subtensions.

What the hell are you talking about it is a MIL measured reticle, same as any other MIL MIL Scope

The Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower® is the versatile riflescope perfect for competitive, tactical, and sporting applications. This is the optic of choice, whether running and gunning, hitting steel, or staring down dangerous game. A true 1x with 8x optical zoom and a first focal plane reticle, it offers both rapid target engagement and long-range precision.

Available with either a red or green illuminated reticle, the universal segmented circle/MOA reticle is designed for multi-platform use, accommodating multiple calibers, ammunition weights, and barrel lengths. The first focal plane reticle allows subtensions and drops to remain true at any magnification, allowing the shooter to quickly and accurately apply the correct hold.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Birddog6424

It amazes me how many people still believe this...

Thanks again ...... Boy I'm really having a hard time with this decision, and I think mostly because I hated the 1.5-8 with a pasion. I love that the Burris has the BDC and is simplistic, but I'm also liking the TMR Style Reticle on the Triji for more precise holdovers. The segmented circle is thick, but it's actually winning me over due to the fact is doesn't obstruct my windage.

I really need to see what the Burris looks like at some distance.

The dual focal plane is really quite nice on a low-mag scope. S&B has this on their 1-8x, whenever it is released.

Think of it this way: The reticle is FFP, and thus moves in and out with zoom. Good for distance estimation, etc. The red dot, however, is fixed, so when you can move around and always use as a two-eye open 1x red-dot.

It amazes me how many people still believe this...
    If you want to jury rig the BDC drop heights to random yardage/meters on the droptable from your loadout, then it defeats the purpose of the BDC, because it disassociates the calibrated width measurements, which were meant to be specific measurements at the marked distances.

What the hell are you talking about it is a MIL measured reticle, same as any other MIL MIL Scope

I was referring to the OP XTR II. I'm not sure why you would think I was talking about the accupower.

The XTR II comes in either ballistic circle dot or ballistic dot.
    They have a couple marks in the reticle that's measured in mils, but it hardly counts as a 'mil reticle'. It's primarily a BDC reticle.