• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II 3-15 and 4-20 Review and XLR Element Chassi

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    I was finally able to shoot these scopes at a monthly match last weekend in Raton, NM. My current match rifle was getting a new barrel on so I put the 4-20 on my 223 and put the 3-15 on my wifes 7mm-08. Im going to tell you it is not fun shooting 223 in switchy winds, but it was great practice. My wife tied me score wise so she was happy about that. I didn't tell her it was the worst I ever shot at this match, but I was impressed for her first time out. Ever. The rifle literally had never been shot before this match. We went to the Whittington Center and zero'd the rifle and hit the sillywet range the night before. Glad the load worked out.

The match was 60 rounds with targets ranging from 200-875 yards. 1 shot each target. Both scope worked/tracked flawlessly. The knobs were initially almost mushy, but after using them, its like the grease got worked in and the tactile ness def came. At the sillywet range, there are steel targets out to 550 yards then a buffalo at 1150 ish yards. My wife, literally shooting a rifle like this for the first time had 2 first round hits at 1150 shooting the 7-08 w 168 berger hunting bullets going 2600. I was very pleased. It wouldn't have been possible if the scope wasn't capable.

She then went back to the 550 steel and hit there. I did same with my 223 (although it too 2 shots for me to connect at 1150 (we couldn't remember the bc for the 69gr smks so we guessed and missed 1.5 mil low, but I dialed right back down and hit at 550 3x in a row. Was actually going for head shots on the rams trying to knock them over. The 223 could not knock them over at 550

A I read somewhere someone was worried about eye box. I didn't notice a single problem getting behind the scope, and my wife never mentioned having problems seeing through the scope. And she is a rook so that's a plus.

I sold my SWFA 5-20 HD (image got dark above 17x) and my zeiss 4-14 (knobs didn't match mil/moa) AND my Bushnell 3-21 (XTR has better glass AND price). The only thing the SWFA/Bushy offered that I liked more than these scopes was the rect, BUT Burris is coming out with the new SCR rect hopefully by this year. Now I can have all matching scopes and am very excited they came at an affordable price

Didn't like that they oly focused down to 50 yds, but that's every scope. I want to put a 5-25 on my rimfire next for sure and the added parallax would have been nice.

These things are a bit bulky, but that's to be expected. They are 34mm tubes. Illuminated. yada yada and I was very impressed. For the price, I have not seen a scope that compares. OH and they come with a sun shade AND lens covers. Pretty cool...

Anyways some pics.

Burris xtr 1.JPGBurris xtr 2.JPGBurris xtr 3.JPGxlr.JPG

As to the XLR chassi, it performed lights out. It is VERY light and VERY VERY affordable (Not to mention they are big sponsors at EVERY major match I attended this year. Thanks kyle). I got it with the folding stock so I can stick it in my back seat easy. I always have problems having the sheek rest where its comfortable, but this stock was so adjustable, I had no problems making it perfect.

If you want any further clarification on this these scopes let me know. I have to run but will post more later.

Regards,
    DT

Damn it dude. I told you to leave that thing alone and not put another barrel on it. She's doin great!

Thanks for the review, I'm looking at the 1.5-8x for a 300 BLK, glad to hear the vote of confidence on the new line.

I bought a pair of XTR II's 1.5x8's for my 3 gun rifles. They're brilliant!!

Two friends and counting have since ordered the same scope.

FYI Midway has the 3-15x50 on clearance for $774. And the 4-20x50 for a bit more.

AR15-SBR