• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris XTR II and zeroing rifle help

Valleshooter

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2017
Please excuse any ignorance here, it's my first attempt at this, and the process seems confusing. Have a Burris XTR II 5x25 scope on a 20 MOA base on a Howa 1500 HCR 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. Having difficulty zeroing the rifle. the Burris instructions state : "This riflescope is shipped from the factory with the optical center set 20 MOA below center. Without tapered bases the initial sight-in or bore sighting will likely produce a considerably high initial point of impact."
Does this imply that the 20 MOA base should nullify that factory setting, or does the rail multiply that divergence? An intial attempt to zero the rifle puts shots consistently high @ 100yds. Trying to determine how to proceed here in zeroing. I do have downward POI adjustment below the zero stop, and wondering if I should immediately use that, and if there's sufficient adjustment below to compensate to the 2 variances on the setup. TYIA.

I had one for a while ran it with a 40moa base with no issues but with that scope I learned it's best to start at 10 yards or so

Reactions: Valleshooter
Just dial below zero.

Loosen the screws, lift the turret, and dial clockwise past the zero stop, press down slightly, tighten one screw.

Do not press the turret all the way down once your on the other side of the zero stop. It's hard to dial down in elevation if the turret is pressed down hard on the scope tube body.

Zero the rifle, loosen the screw, set to zero stop and tighten both screws.

Reactions: Valleshooter