• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II vs. Vortex PST

Both are good scopes.
The glass will likely be a touch better in the PST.
The XTR II will likely be more robust.
Elevation and windage adjustments are nicer on the PST.
Illumination, parallax and ocular adjustments are nicer on the XTR II.

Reactions: N-C
Thanks, good information indeed. I will be handling a Burris this evening.

Also hoping for a Father’s Day sale!

I haven't really messed with the zero stop on the gen II PST but the zero stop one the Xtr is super easy to adjust. My gen I PSTs are a PIA.

Both are good scopes.
The glass will likely be a touch better in the PST.
The XTR II will likely be more robust.
Elevation and windage adjustments are nicer on the PST.
Illumination, parallax and ocular adjustments are nicer on the XTR II.
This summation is spot on IMHO, except that I think the parallax on the PST was quite good.

I think Vortex did a great job on updating this scope. They learned from their Gen I and made some very necessary updates to the PST line. It should be a good scope for them.

I do like the turrets on the Burris far better. The Vortex is really "clicky" and turns far too easily for me, too easy to bump. And I like the 34mm tube and long standing durability of the Burris.

Both are good scopes. Thanks for giving the Burris a shot.

Between XTR II and PST Gen 2, with 3-15x scopes, I really prefer the Vortex and with 2-10x, I really prefer the Burris.

In terms of durability, it is really hard to make blanket statements, since PST Gen 2 is fairly new, it is hard to predict durability. I like the 3-15x44, so I am trying to keep track on how these hold up for different people I have recommended it to. So far, they are doing really well. XTR II definitely has a longer track record.

ILya

Looked at both of these in Bass Pro the other day. Only had a few minutes with both scopes, but my initial impressions were that the glass was pretty equal, but the turrets on the XTR were much better. PST felt kinda mushy to me. XTR felt really great, definitely felt more positive distinction between every click.

Looked at both of these in Bass Pro the other day. Only had a few minutes with both scopes, but my initial impressions were that the glass was pretty equal, but the turrets on the XTR were much better. PST felt kinda mushy to me. XTR felt really great, definitely felt more positive distinction between every click.

Funny you should say that. I've heard a lot of people say they felt the Vortex has better glass. I've had both my 4-20 H591's alongside a couple PST's (both were 5-25) and it was pretty much a dead heat. And we spent some time between several people looking at a couple different objects.

But I do recognize that in the past there has been some variance in glass quality in some of the Burris. Some people have said they have great glass, and others felt it wasn't so hot. I suspect both optics have very useable, functional glass, and the difference between them won't buy you a hit ;)

Funny you should say that. I've heard a lot of people say they felt the Vortex has better glass. I've had both my 4-20 H591's alongside a couple PST's (both were 5-25) and it was pretty much a dead heat. And we spent some time between several people looking at a couple different objects.

But I do recognize that in the past there has been some variance in glass quality in some of the Burris. Some people have said they have great glass, and others felt it wasn't so hot. I suspect both optics have very useable, functional glass, and the difference between them won't buy you a hit ;)

Like I said, I only had a few minutes with each scope, so take it with a grain of salt. But, for me, the glass quality was pretty equal from what I could tell just holding it up and focusing on a sign across the building. Maybe, this XTR was one of the better ones, I don't know. But I know if I had the money that day, I would've been walking out with the XTR. The turrets, to me, were just leaps and bounds above the PST

Had a chance to spend some time with the XTR on the range last night.
Turrets had a very positive feel and a 25 mil rotation.
Parallax only went down to 50
Glass was very clear, but not sure I would know the difference
Controls were easy to use
At 25 yards, the reticle was not clear for me, not so at longer distances
Price points are very similar

Reactions: Birddog6424