• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II

Devildog

Professional Nail Bender
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 24, 2013
    The Land of Oz
    I talked a friend of mine into buying his first rifle, he got a new RPR in 6.5 creed, and he's looking to me for advice on a scope. His budget is around 1k, most of my stuff is top tier, so I don't have a lot of experience with scopes in the price range he has to spend. My research has me leaning towards the Burris XTR II 5x25. We were able to look at a XTR 3-15 today a Cabelas and I was kind of impressed for the price. Just checking to see who has one and if they've been happy with it.

I have one and feel it's one of the best values in the mid tier range today. Tracking is spot on, it's built like a tank, full of features and even though the glass isn't top tier level I've had no issue seeing splash at 1000yds.

Also note that the non-illuminated models are supposed to be available soon. Knocks like a hundred and fifty bucks off the price. I'm kinda interested in picking up a non-illuminated 4-20.

I compared my son's 5x25 next to my NXS 5.5x22 and they were damn close. This was looking at steel at 600yds. down a shooting lane in the woods. I have not done extensive testing, but the little the 3 of us looked through them that day satisfied us of the 1k purchase.

I got my 3-15x XTRII for $1k and very well pleased for the price point. I got my wife an 8-40x F-class XTRII and it is awesome at its price point, too. The glass in it shows its shortcomings at about 30x and up, but still very effective on F-class targets at 800 yards even late in the afternoon. Better, more expensive glass will probably only get you another 15-20 minutes of shooting time at dusk/sunset conditions. Both of our XTRs track like they are on rails. Even the 1/8 MOA clicks on the 8-40 are dead nuts accurate at 800 yards at 1" per click.

I have the 5-25 scr mil. I like the reticle and it tracks really well just like everyone says. Simple zero stop and 90moa elev adj. Glass quality is a joke and doesn't belong on a 1k scope.

I have a 4-20 scr mil, very effective, great value for 34mm tube and accurate tracking, glass clarity is just OK but no worse than my ATACR. I would gladly buy another one, probably the non-illuminated since I never use that anyway.

I like mine. The zero stop is a little strange.

One of the common things mentioned in reference to the XTRII is "features are good, tracking is great, glass is mediocre".

While I know glass quality can be subjective...how does the XTRII compare optically (say brightness, light gathering, resolution, CA, "pop", etc) with the PST Gen 1 and the Gen1 Bushy HDMR?

I compared my son's 5x25 next to my NXS 5.5x22 and they were damn close. This was looking at steel at 600yds. down a shooting lane in the woods. I have not done extensive testing, but the little the 3 of us looked through them that day satisfied us of the 1k purchase.

While I agree with everyone that the scope is a great buy at its price point and I do like the scope. But the glass isn't in the same class as the glass on my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope.

While I agree with everyone that the scope is a great buy at its price point and I do like the scope. But the glass isn't in the same class as the glass on my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope.

Ehh, it's not far off though. At least with my 3-15 nxs F1 compared to my 4-20 XTR II. I honestly can't tell much of a difference either way, and XTR II has much better Eye relief.

I had the 4-20 scr. The CA in it was very fatiguing for my eye. I've found that I'm more sensitive to CA than others I guess. It tends to tire me (mentally) I went with the Athlon group and have been very pleased. I have the Cronus BTR now but they came out with the Ares that would be cheaper than the XTR2. I'd give that a serious look to compare

If the Burris XTR II glass is about the same as the NF NXS, I know there is no NXS in my immediate future. Where does the Cronus BTR fall in line with these optics as it can be had for only about 400 more dollars than the Burris?

• Love
    Reactions: whatsupdoc
    I've got a brand new Sig Sauer tango 4 6-24x50 MOA for sale in the PX. I had a Xtr 2 5-25x 50 on top of my RPR 6.5 an it served me well, Illumination crapped out right after I got it. The quality of the glass wasn't it strong suit. It did work well and tracked ok. If you going to spend over a 1K, I'd pick up a Vortex Pst Gen 2 for the $. I've heard about a few that have already had to go back to be fixed though!?!!??!

If the Burris XTR II glass is about the same as the NF NXS, I know there is no NXS in my immediate future. Where does the Cronus BTR fall in line with these optics as it can be had for only about 400 more dollars than the Burris?

I wouldn't say it's the same, but for ME it's not leap and bounds better. The Cronus is often highly praised for it's glass where the XTR II isn't. So i'd assume the glass is better.

I've also owned a Cronus. Its not even close to a Burris XTR2. Think more along the line of vortex gen2 razor!!

Burris Xtr2<Bushnell <Athlon Cronus< Vortex razor gen 1< Vortex gen 2 razor

I'll say the same thing. Tracks very well, good zero stop set up, reticle is decent (a bit too thick for me) but I'm disappointed with the glass.

I was able to compare an XTRii to an SWFA 5-20 HD recently and as far as glass goes they were not really close. The HD was clearly better in terms of optical clarity, though I did prefer the reticle and features of the Burris.

I've also owned a Cronus. Its not even close to a Burris XTR2. Think more along the line of vortex gen2 razor!!

Burris Xtr2<Bushnell <Athlon Cronus< Vortex razor gen 1< Vortex gen 2 razor

I haven't owned a Cronus personally, but I have been able to compare one to a few of these other similarly priced scopes. I'd put the Athlon with the Gen 1 and SWFA HD in terms of glass quality, So I'd personally go:

XTRii < XRS < Cronus = SWFA HD = Razor Gen 1 < Razor Gen 2

SWFA is a stretch. I haven't owned one personally so I can't say. I do know SWFA just dis-continued there HD glass line?????.........

Shot my 5-25 XTR II at 1000 yards today, I was pleased with all qualities of it. I have a 4-20 also and have shot it to 700 yards. Very pleased with both scopes.

I recently acquired a Vortex Golden Eagle, but it's not mounted so I can't really compare yet.

The Burris XTR II is a great scope at its price point and very popular with our customers, call us for hide pricing at 916.670.1103

Burris XTR II 3-15x50mm NON-ILLUMINATION SCR MIL FFP Please call 916.670.1103
    Burris XTR II 4-20x50 NON-ILLUMINATED SCR MIL Please call 916.670.1103
    Burris Veracity Riflescope 5-25x50mm http://bit.ly/2eWCy2J
    Burris XTR II 1-5x24mm Illum Balistic 5.56 Gen3 RFP, Low Mil Knobs http://bit.ly/2oqiwBN
    Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Circle Dot FFP http://bit.ly/2pfPqtk
    Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Dot RFP http://bit.ly/2ovkKBM
    Burris XTR II 2-10x42mm Illuminated SCR MOA Front Focal Plane http://bit.ly/2okQ5Gf
    BURRIS XTR II 4-20x50mm ILL SCR Mil Front Focal http://bit.ly/2oJkEbe
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm ILL SCR MOA Front Focal http://bit.ly/2oSIbXC

Quick thoughts... I've owned both a Burris XTR II 5-25 and a Cronus BTR 4.5-29.

The Burris has great turrets and is solidly built with excellent features but went back to the manufacturer several times with illumination and optical clarity issues (Ilumination failed, excessive CA and lack of sharpness across entire reticle plane). Repair was returned within 3 weeks with fixed illumination and optically checked by Burris (supposedly all was within design specs).

Unfortunately, optical issues continued and over a period of several months I asked many shooters for their independent evaluation in an attempt to take my eyes out of the equation. ALL that looked through it felt that something was not right so it was sent back a second time for evaluation and was quickly replaced. New scope replacement was subsequently sold brand new in the unopened box it came back in.

The Athlon Cronus BTR has performed extremely well for me during the short time I've had it. While I'd still give a slight edge to the feel of the Burris turrets, the Athlon's have been both repeatable and accurate. Most other basic features are directly comparable. However, with regards to illumination and optical quality, the Cronus BTR is way, WAY superior to the XTR II.

In my opinion, the Athlon Cronus BTR is on an overall higher performance level than the Burris XTR II. If you can handle the price difference between the two scopes, you won't be disappointed with the view through the Athlon.

I appreciate all the feed back, I'll look into some of the other offering and see what happens. Thanks again everyone!

I have an NF NXS, Gen 1 PST, and an XTR, and I'd rank them 1) NF 2) XTR 3) PST which coincides with their price points.

However, the NXS isn't much better in terms of optical clarity. The zero stop and turrets are much better IMO on the NF, but for the money I'd buy the Burris hands down. If you do a lot of low light shooting, this is where the NF really outperformed the Burris.

The Burris XTR2's money was spent in tracking and turrets. And the SCR reticle. Your thousand dollars goes there and it's built very well. Glass had to suffer in order for the thing to not be $2000. So CSTactical is spot on when he says "for their price point". It's not really a bargan it's what it is. To me. The Athlon Cronus BTR IS the bargan. You will get more for the money. I'm no fan boy. I review and comment only from what I have shot and not just looked at a squirrel at 200 yards with a scope and returned it. I have shot extensively the Burris and both gens of the Cronus. The Cronus either gen has the absolute best illumination of any scope period. If that means anything to u. There is no bleed and it illuminates exactly what it's suppose to perfectly. I don't really care so it's a meh for me. What sold me is a total lack of CA on the first gen. I believe the glass is better than a razor gen2 but I've never shot the gen2 so really can't give a stamp of approval. If you really really want to know more about Athlon. Hit up JADEprecision. They have an extensive review and he helped design and bring the Cronus BTR into what it is today. Awesome folks. I think all ex military. Having said all that I will say the BTR has just a tiny bit of CA compared to the gen 1. The reticle is leaps and bounds better than the gen1. Much thinner. Wish they put a dot on the reticle like they do in the SKMR3 or Minox MR4. Then it'd be about perfect. The parallax is awesome in the BTR version. Turrets feel awesome in the BTR. To me. The BTR is just under what the Minox ZP5 in the MR5 reticle is. And that's a hella compliment. The glass is not quite to the Minox but it's reticle is thinner. Parallax is easy to get in focus. So u can see. I'm comparing the Athlon to a 3k scope. The Athlon is worth the MSRP is for it at $2100. But u can get em for $1500. It is a deal. Where the Burris just isn't. Sorry for the confused ramble and all the acronyms. You really need to check out JADES review on the original Cronus and talk to them about the BTR

I will say this I own 2 of the XTRII and where Im not a huge Burris Fanboy and I won't tell you everything Burris builds is the best thing since sliced bread its a great scope for the money and the features. I have had a NXS, Bushy DMR & XRS, and the glass is on par with all of these. Anyone on here that says the glass is terrible needs to send it back to Burris for a repair. I have tested both of my XTRII scopes and tracking is dead on running a tall target test, scope is built really well, warranty is great. So although I have said quite a few positives Im not married to Burris, I simply stopped buying $1,700 - $2,000 scopes if I couldn't tell the difference in quality or glass to a $1,100 Burris, I could spend that money on other things. Now if you step up to a Kahles, S&B, March you will see a difference in quality of glass but you will be up in $3K and higher price ranges and even at these prices some of these brands didn't pass a tracking test 100%, so you got great glass but it wont track correctly and you spent 3K not a great deal to me. The guys over at www.precisionrifleblog.com have done quite a few really extensive reviews of a ton of scopes showing everything from glass quality, tracking, features, etc that will break this down way better than me. Scott over at Liberty Optics has sold me a couple scopes, has great prices and great service and he usually gives great deals to SH guys.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lucky1
    Saying XTRII glass compares favorably with the Gen1 HDMR is exactly the type of first-hand experience I was hoping to see.

In 2016 out of the top 100 PRS shooters 2 shooters used Burris. In 2017 I expect this number will grow as the value is realized for the XTRIIs.
    I have owned two XTRIIs. A early production 1.5-8 and a 3-15. Both could be used as a hammer and had repeatable/accurate adjustments. The glass quality is comparable to my 2.5-10 NXS, which is about double the price.
    If illumination is a must, realize that you are looking at about a 2 weeks turn around time for repairs/warranty work. I had the illumination go out in both of mine, customer service was excellent and quick.
    I plan on picking up a 4-20x50 with H59 reticle for a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun.

Last edited:
    The Burris XTR II is a great scope at its price point and very popular with our customers, call us for hide pricing at 916.670.1103

Burris XTR II 3-15x50mm NON-ILLUMINATION SCR MIL FFP Please call 916.670.1103
    Burris XTR II 4-20x50 NON-ILLUMINATED SCR MIL Please call 916.670.1103
    Burris Veracity Riflescope 5-25x50mm http://bit.ly/2eWCy2J
    Burris XTR II 1-5x24mm Illum Balistic 5.56 Gen3 RFP, Low Mil Knobs http://bit.ly/2oqiwBN
    Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Circle Dot FFP http://bit.ly/2pfPqtk
    Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Dot RFP http://bit.ly/2ovkKBM
    Burris XTR II 2-10x42mm Illuminated SCR MOA Front Focal Plane http://bit.ly/2okQ5Gf
    BURRIS XTR II 4-20x50mm ILL SCR Mil Front Focal http://bit.ly/2oJkEbe
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm ILL SCR MOA Front Focal http://bit.ly/2oSIbXC

Mike - how is the 2-10 XTR2 in terms of eye box in both low and 10x setting? I'm considering one in Gen2 Midlot for an 18" SPR build. The big field of view at 2x sounds fast. Saw a YouTube review and the shooter said the 2x eyebox was tight .....

TP...

Mike - how is the 2-10 XTR2 in terms of eye box in both low and 10x setting? I'm considering one in Gen2 Midlot for an 18" SPR build. The big field of view at 2x sounds fast. Saw a YouTube review and the shooter said the 2x eyebox was tight .....

TP...

The lower the Magnification the better the eye-box. If the shooter said the eye-box was tight at 2x then my guess is he has the scope puled to close to his eye.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Reactions: Itsadryheat
    I want to see one of these XTRIIs with as good of glass as a DMR or Nightforce; Which is way better than the DMR which is way better than the Burris.

I want to see one of these XTRIIs with as good of glass as a DMR or Nightforce; Which is way better than the DMR which is way better than the Burris.

Again as stated above Im not a Burris Fan Boy but have you personally ever taken all 3 of these to the range and set them side by side? Im not talking about my friend has one, and my dad has another and I looked at one in a store all at different times on different days, all the same day at the range side by side?

Reactions: Itsadryheat

nxs f1 and my 4-20 xtr II , nxs is better glass but to ME not a substantial difference. Just an honest opinion as someone who paid his own money for both.

Attachments

• 6.5-308.jpg
      6.5-308.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 272

I'm very happy with the glass I have used a 4-20x and a 1-8x Burris XTRII. The Nightforce is going to be a stronger scope.

Here is a photo of my Burris 1-8x on my LWRC https://www.cstactical.com/xtreme-tactical.aspx
    15380571_1353976507978192_2833166145532291875_n.jpg?oh=da4b51560d97ed9ca68e88f4a6b4b824&oe=59C...jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Last edited:
    My Burris XTR II 4-20 glass was shit, but this is compared to an ATACR F1 and a gen 2 Razor... Not really a fair comparison... I might try one of the Athlon Cronus BTR's real soon...

Again as stated above Im not a Burris Fan Boy but have you personally ever taken all 3 of these to the range and set them side by side? Im not talking about my friend has one, and my dad has another and I looked at one in a store all at different times on different days, all the same day at the range side by side?

Yes, I owned a burris XTRII 4-20 and 3-15 an, HDMR TREMOR2, and two ERS's at the same time and I spent hours at the range and over prairie dog towns with all of them.

Yes, I owned a burris XTRII 4-20 and 3-15 an, HDMR TREMOR2, and two ERS's at the same time and I spent hours at the range and over prairie dog towns with all of them.

I would say if your Burris you had was night and day worse than the DMR and the ERS it should have been sent back to Burris because it had problems. Again Im not sitting here trying to tell everyone that Burris has German quality glass because they don't. What I will say is for the money I personally think they are great scopes with decent quality glass that are on pretty close to the DMR and NXS glass, the guys that say they are absolutely terrible and are barely able to see targets with probably have a problem that Burris needs to address. S&B, Kahles, March, Hensoldt, IOR Im sure everyone will agree top of the top quality glass but the thread was started for a guy looking for best 1k glass which none of these will sniff ever.

My Burris XTR II 4-20 glass was shit, but this is compared to an ATACR F1 and a gen 2 Razor... Not really a fair comparison... I might try one of the Athlon Cronus BTR's real soon...
    You will like the Cronus. It doesn't disappoint. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I would have bought a Cronus and be happy with it over the Gen two razor. With that benign said, I just trade my cronus and kept the razor. I paid full retail for both. After buying the razor, the XTR2 came out and I needed a scope for my 308. I wasn't about to buy another $2,500 scope. The XTR2 helped me win my first competition, so no complaints here. The XTR2 was then moved to my Ruger RPR and once again I need a scope for my 308. The Cronus popped up with a reasonable price point, the rest is history. I've kept going down the road now with these 1st focal plane scopes that keep popping up at a less expensive entry point. Burris shifted the landscape of what an affordable feature rich scope looks like and the XTR2 was one of the first. Now I've been checking out the Tango 4 line from Sig Sauer and have had promising results. The glass is the most impressive part about the scopes to me and I'm not a glass snob. Time will tell if the tracking and other features can take the beating that I tend to dish out??......

nxs f1 and my 4-20 xtr II , nxs is better glass but to ME not a substantial difference. Just an honest opinion as someone who paid his own money for both.

This... the Burris does give up a little bit in glass to some higher priced optics but it's not a substantial amount. If your Burris is that bad then send it back because something is wrong.

Everyone wants to compare the clarity of a $1,200 optic to the clarity of a $2,000 optic. Is it as good? Nope. Is it a substantial difference that is going to cause you to be a better shooter? Nope.

I have never missed a shot due to the clarity of my Burris. And just to clarify, I'm not a Burris fanboy. I own optics from numerous companies and will continue to do so based on my needs. However, I wouldn't hesitate to own another xtr ii if I was in that price range market.

This... the Burris does give up a little bit in glass to some higher priced optics but it's not a substantial amount. If your Burris is that bad then send it back because something is wrong.

Everyone wants to compare the clarity of a $1,200 optic to the clarity of a $2,000 optic. Is it as good? Nope. Is it a substantial difference that is going to cause you to be a better shooter? Nope.

I have never missed a shot due to the clarity of my Burris. And just to clarify, I'm not a Burris fanboy. I own optics from numerous companies and will continue to do so based on my needs. However, I wouldn't hesitate to own another xtr ii if I was in that price range market.

Basically all I was trying to state you just said it better, I know everyone could argue their personal preferences all day Coors or Budweiser and which is better...

I would say if your Burris you had was night and day worse than the DMR and the ERS it should have been sent back to Burris because it had problems. Again Im not sitting here trying to tell everyone that Burris has German quality glass because they don't. What I will say is for the money I personally think they are great scopes with decent quality glass that are on pretty close to the DMR and NXS glass, the guys that say they are absolutely terrible and are barely able to see targets with probably have a problem that Burris needs to address. S&B, Kahles, March, Hensoldt, IOR Im sure everyone will agree top of the top quality glass but the thread was started for a guy looking for best 1k glass which none of these will sniff ever.

2 burris XTRII. I am aware of differences in samples of scopes as I usually try to get a sample of at least 5. I only had two of the Burris both the same, that tells me it is more than likely the norm than the exception. Maybe guys that don't like the glass are shooting at targets that are harder to see than you are. Or they are spending hours looking through them. Or shooting in tricky or low light conditions. I think putting them with the prostaff in glass quality was spot on. I didn't say they weren't a great scope. I was saying that Bushnell's and Nightforce's scopes that cost more have consistently better glass. Out of my 7 ERS scopes, I had one that was only a little better than the 2 Burris scopes I had. The other 6 ERS's were all the same. I have had LRHS scopes that range in glass quality from 4-16 Steiner {ran two of the Steiners for about 6 months side by side with LRHS and ERS scopes} to just slightly better than the ERS.

Personally I will pay a little more for better glass, all else being equal. Some don't care and thats their choice. From someone who spent a lot of time looking through multiple examples, often at hard to find targets, the glass was noticeably better in the DMR and ERS. If I was just trying to quarter a big white steel plate and shooting a couple hours per week or month, I probably wouldn't notice. I never missed what I was shooting at because of the Burris glass, but I couldn't find targets because of it.

I had 4 of the LRHS 4.5-18 and 3 of the 3-12.

2 burris XTRII. I am aware of differences in samples of scopes as I usually try to get a sample of at least 5. I only had two of the Burris both the same, that tells me it is more than likely the norm than the exception. Maybe guys that don't like the glass are shooting at targets that are harder to see than you are. Or they are spending hours looking through them. Or shooting in tricky or low light conditions. I think putting them with the prostaff in glass quality was spot on. I didn't say they weren't a great scope. I was saying that Bushnell's and Nightforce's scopes that cost more have consistently better glass. Out of my 7 ERS scopes, I had one that was only a little better than the 2 Burris scopes I had. The other 6 ERS's were all the same. I have had LRHS scopes that range in glass quality from 4-16 Steiner {ran two of the Steiners for about 6 months side by side with LRHS and ERS scopes} to just slightly better than the ERS.

Personally I will pay a little more for better glass, all else being equal. Some don't care and thats their choice. From someone who spent a lot of time looking through multiple examples, often at hard to find targets, the glass was noticeably better in the DMR and ERS. If I was just trying to quarter a big white steel plate and shooting a couple hours per week or month, I probably wouldn't notice. I never missed what I was shooting at because of the Burris glass, but I couldn't find targets because of it.

I had 4 of the LRHS 4.5-18 and 3 of the 3-12.

LOL no my friend we will just have to agree to disagree here which is fine, Im at the range 3 times a week every week putting quite a bit of time behind my optics I dont want to get into a dick measuring contest of who shoots further, who spends more on equipment, and who has more experience Im sure you'll win. I think you are being a little dramatic putting Burris with Prostaff and acting like DMR and Nightforce are light years ahead thats all.

LOL no my friend we will just have to agree to disagree here which is fine, Im at the range 3 times a week every week putting quite a bit of time behind my optics I dont want to get into a dick measuring contest of who shoots further, who spends more on equipment, and who has more experience Im sure you'll win. I think you are being a little dramatic putting Burris with Prostaff and acting like DMR and Nightforce are light years ahead thats all.

Couldn't agree more.

LOL, No what? You'er the one that asked about use and shooting time. I explained my position, if you read what I wrote, or understood it at least. I was explaining my margin for much better glass may be smaller than yours.

Putting it with Nightforce is being mellow dramtic. As has been beat to death great optic not the greatest glass. Same with all the other tactical scopes under 1500. You can get just as good or better glass in a hunting scope that is half the price or less. We need mechanics first, and that seems to be what costs.

I have no axe to grind with Burris. I really hope Burris is coming out with something to compete in the DMRII TX5i Cronus price range. I guess that would be the TX5i and I love mine.

LOL, No what? You'er the one that asked about use and shooting time. I explained my position, if you read what I wrote, or understood it at least. I was explaining my margin for much better glass may be smaller than yours.

Putting it with Nightforce is being mellow dramtic. As has been beat to death great optic not the greatest glass. Same with all the other tactical scopes under 1500. You can get just as good or better glass in a hunting scope that is half the price or less. We need mechanics first, and that seems to be what costs.

I have no axe to grind with Burris. I really hope Burris is coming out with something to compete in the DMRII TX5i Cronus price range. I guess that would be the TX5i and I love mine.

Awesome