• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II

gopherslayer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
WI
I found some of the 4-20 and 5-25s on sale at a very reduced rate. What’s the consensus on these? I’ve been out of the optics loop for a while and the only scopes I’ve bought in the last few years are SWFAs at different price points.

I know these had teething issues but did they fix the bugs and is the glass decent?

I liked mine. Tracked incredibly well but the glass gets hazy above 20x and picks up mirage. If they had a good price on the 4-20 horus 59 model of do it again. I swapped to the leupold mark 5hd once i had the money too

The glass is not top tier, but it is good. The things are dead nuts reliable. They track and return to zero. I've got an old 8 mil per turn model 4-20 that just keeps going. The glass is actually pretty good in it. In good conditions I can see trace. The diopter is a bit finicky, but once it is set up you're good to go.

They made great progress on this scope, teething issues are long behind them.

At its price point it's obviously not top tier glass. But competes well with anything in its price point. Tracking is bullet proof, and it's one of the most durable scopes on the market.

I have them on 4 guns. I also run Nightforce ATACR and Schmidt's. Glass is not as clear as the Schmidt or Nightforce. They track very well and have been run out to 1 mile. For the price point, you can't beat them. I am looking for a 4-20 right now.

I run the 2-10 on my Grendel and the 4-20 on a Creedmoor. No issues when hunting hogs in low light or shooting steel at 1200yds.

Glass is serviceable (my eyes are terrible anyway), and like mentioned above they can take a beating.

I had the 8-40x and liked it for its purpose, paper targets out to 1000. The image did get noticibly darker past 30x, but didnt affect my ability to score well. Sold it with my old FClass rig.

I spent half a year testing glass from $300 SWFA fixed power up to NF ATACR 5-25 and about half a dozen in between. Had the $ for NF, but just couldn't find that oh man experience to make want to pay what amounted to more than 3x price tag of XTR II. YMMV.

Now for rings. Which height for a chassis rifle. I have an APO Saber in 6.5 CM on the way and if I go Burris I’ll need a mount or rings to clear the rail. Any suggestions? I’d like to stick it a one piece mount to switch to a large frame AR if I want to.

I took advantage of the buy one get one free sale at Natchez:cool: ordered up th Warne mount. Hopefully it’s not too high. Guess I could always swap an old PRS stock to get the right comb height or redneck it and use foam and tape. I’m certainly not above that.

I have a continuous 20moa rail and use extra tall rings(Burris). Just enough for front scope cap.

Shipping box was huge for 2 scopes.

Anybody have a 4-20 and a 5-25? I ordered 5-25s and hoping I don’t regret not going with the lower power for Eyebox reasons. Guess I’ll just have to pay attention to my form a little better and get the comb set up correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zack_va248
I couldn’t stand the glass. In anything outside of a clear sunny day...it’s very grey. I had a match where it was early morning, targets were in the shadows, and the sun was still rising. It sucked trying to see anything. I actually said “yuck” as I sighted into the first target.

Didn’t stop me from getting hits, but it’s annoying to need perfect conditions for a good image.

I couldn’t stand the glass. In anything outside of a clear sunny day...it’s very grey. I had a match where it was early morning, targets were in the shadows, and the sun was still rising. It sucked trying to see anything. I actually said “yuck” as I sighted into the first target.

Didn’t stop me from getting hits, but it’s annoying to need perfect conditions for a good image.

I've seen conditions like that bunches of times. Perhaps you have too. I think anyone who spends any amount of time shooting PRS will run into hard to see targets. Especially first thing in the morning when the low angle of the sun wreaks havoc with target visibility. Or the sun is coming up behind the targets. But the thing is, those targets are hard to see for everyone. I've seen guys with the high end optics have just as hard a time discerning the target as I do. I watched guys with nicer glass than I have miss targets they couldn't quite find. I think a lot of that boils down to the shooter more so than the scope. And proper preparation before your turn.

As many times as I have encountered the hard to see target, I've never had a single one I could not discern well enough to hit.

The XTR II glass won't cost you points in a match. Myself and my shooting partner have been running them for years now. And you can count on it to track reliably and not go down.

I've seen conditions like that bunches of times. Perhaps you have too. I think anyone who spends any amount of time shooting PRS will run into hard to see targets. Especially first thing in the morning when the low angle of the sun wreaks havoc with target visibility. Or the sun is coming up behind the targets. But the thing is, those targets are hard to see for everyone. I've seen guys with the high end optics have just as hard a time discerning the target as I do. I watched guys with nicer glass than I have miss targets they couldn't quite find. I think a lot of that boils down to the shooter more so than the scope. And proper preparation before your turn.

As many times as I have encountered the hard to see target, I've never had a single one I could not discern well enough to hit.

The XTR II glass won't cost you points in a match. Myself and my shooting partner have been running them for years now. And you can count on it to track reliably and not go down.

I agree that the quality of the glass won’t cost you the match. I just get fatigued looking through it for extended periods of time compared to other optics that don’t give me those issues.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Good tracking, good reticle, good turrets, sub-par glass

Better reticle than the SWFA HD 5-20
Better turrets and overall build quality than the PST2
Better IMHO than anything Chinese-made Athlon

Nothing wrong with it as long as you understand the glass is not going to compete very well with most anything in its price point, but on the flip side, most of the other features exceed the price point. Kind of an odd duck - I used to hate on them more than I do now. I think they're a very good value and an excellent option for folks getting into LR but don't want to spend $2500.

Reactions: Zack_va248
The Steiner P4Xi 4-16 is much better. I can see more clearly further out on 16x than I could with the XTR on 20x. The Steiner can be had from @gr8fuldoug at cameraland for $800.

Not to make this a Steiner thread but I actually like my Steiner more than my buddies Mk5 3.6-18 which is 2x the cost of my Steiner.

I took one out tonight about an hour before dark. We were very humid and grey/hazy all day and this was no different. At 25x it did degrade a bit but it wasn’t terrible. 20x was better. This was at 400 yards. All I did was pull it out of the box and hold it up. I did not focus, just adjusted parallax a bit. I’ll give it a good once over this week. I don’t think I’ll have much to complain about except when it comes to lugging a rifle around with one of these pigs on it.

I've got a 4-20 mil H59 coming (distributor exchanged it for me for a 5-25 moa I pulled off a prize table) and I'm curious to see how it compares to my Bushnell HDMR2. I don't expect it to be as nice as my Mk5 5-25s but I think the Bushnell is in the same "tier".

Just got my XTR II 5-25 in from Natchez.

- Build quality is really good. Feels solid, good turrets. Not sure if I like or dislike how the zero-stop is set yet..need to play with it more.
- Burris advertises a "forever" warranty
- Came with sunshade and flip covers
- Mounted it and did some quick glass comparisons with scopes in it's class:
---- Glass is better than Vortex Viper GEN I and is roughly on-par with Viper GEN II
---- Bushnell LRTSi edges it out in clarity and CA

Overall it's not going to replace any of my higher-end optics, but I'm happy with my purchase at that sale price... it's going to live as my optic for a 224V

Shipping box was huge for 2 scopes.

Anybody have a 4-20 and a 5-25? I ordered 5-25s and hoping I don’t regret not going with the lower power for Eyebox reasons. Guess I’ll just have to pay attention to my form a little better and get the comb set up correct.
I've run both and the eye boxes are so similar you cannot discern the difference. good position will help too. dryfire snapping in and you'll be fine

I got my XTR ii 4-20 out for the first time to zero and get familiar with. glass is nice and clear and tracking was spot on from a limited test. Hope to be able to put it through it's paces in a few weeks.

I have a couple 3-15 G2B's, a 4-20 SCR and a 5-25 SCR. I also have a Steiner P4XI 4-16.
The Steiner P4XI is my favorite of the bunch with the best glass clarity, but a little CA.
One of the 3-15 XTR2's has spectacular glass, and the other is poor, but not bad enough to warrant sending it back.
All of the scopes seem to track great. I have had the Steiner to 800+, the 4-20 and the good 3-15 out to 1000 with great results. They seemed to match perfectly with the ballistics app, and no I haven't done a tall target test.
The CA is really bad on the 5-25 and clarity is not too good over 20. I only paid $630 for it at optics planet, so I feel it is still pretty good for that price, but I might feel different if I had paid $1000.
The 4-20 is just a really nice scope. Not bad CA, decent glass, and those fantastic turrets. Way worth the money.

In the future my money is on the Steiner P4xi as long as I can still find one.

I have a couple 3-15 G2B's, a 4-20 SCR and a 5-25 SCR. I also have a Steiner P4XI 4-16.
The Steiner P4XI is my favorite of the bunch with the best glass clarity, but a little CA.
One of the 3-15 XTR2's has spectacular glass, and the other is poor, but not bad enough to warrant sending it back.
All of the scopes seem to track great. I have had the Steiner to 800+, the 4-20 and the good 3-15 out to 1000 with great results. They seemed to match perfectly with the ballistics app, and no I haven't done a tall target test.
The CA is really bad on the 5-25 and clarity is not too good over 20. I only paid $630 for it at optics planet, so I feel it is still pretty good for that price, but I might feel different if I had paid $1000.
The 4-20 is just a really nice scope. Not bad CA, decent glass, and those fantastic turrets. Way worth the money.

In the future my money is on the Steiner P4xi as long as I can still find one.
If I was going to get one, the 4-20 SCR would be it for sure. Of all the ones that I've personally seen, the 4-20 was the best by a decent margin. I found the glass to be right on par with the PST2, and the price, reticle, and turrets are all a hair better.

Had it all in my cart to buy. 10% code worked. Decided to add the rings. 1201 hit and the code died. Wound up costing me 60 bucks and they didn't even have the rings I needed. ?. I asked Natchez if they would honor the 10% as a courtesy. They said no.

Natchez ships fast. Left TN today supposedly delivering tomorrow at my house. We shall see. If the scopes hit MSP they’ll sit for a few days so hopefully they go to a different hub for FedEx.

For comparison I brought my Weaver 3-15 iEMDR, SWFA 3-9, 5-25 XTRii and 4-20XTRii.
88CD3DF9-6E7F-489D-959A-561CA25E2FC6.jpeg

Had a chance to look at them SxS and the
5-25 doesn’t degrade much at 25X. The 4-20 is solid all the way through. The complaint about the picky eyebox with the 5-25 isn’t that bad. The PRS stock is narrow so that doesn’t help. A little foam and that will be taken care of.

Glass wise there isn’t a lot of difference between the 4 when set to corresponding magnification. The SWFA glass pops a slight bit more than the rest. I should have brought my SWFA 5-20 with but I forgot it.

For $500 you won’t be disappointed. Natchez has 3-15s left at the heavily discounted price. All G2Bs. SCRs are all $800+.

Hopefully I’m still at the farm as it starts to get dark and I can do a low light comparison. I already know the Weaver is fantastic for last light opportunities at deer and crossing my fingers that the Burris can hang with the Weaver.

Wasent there some cases with the illumination that stop working on theese scopes? I actually am looking at getting an XTR2 for my secondary rifle, but have been wondering about the illumination thing.

I think so. I haven’t put the batteries in mine to know yet. I should do that soon.

Wasent there some cases with the illumination that stop working on theese scopes? I actually am looking at getting an XTR2 for my secondary rifle, but have been wondering about the illumination thing.

A LOT of the early run XTR IIs had a buggy part in the illumination components. It was identified pretty early on and rectified.

I haven't heard of any continuing issues with the illumination in years..

Reactions: Peter83
A LOT of the early run XTR IIs had a buggy part in the illumination components. It was identified pretty early on and rectified.

I haven't heard of any continuing issues with the illumination in years..

Thanks. Do you know if there is any way to tell a early production XTR 2 from a newer made XTR 2?

The first run will be 8 mil turrets. After that they moved to a 10 mil turret and the Burris logo and print is in FDE.

Later models had grey logos and print and featured the tungsten ring near the magnification adjustment.

The first run will be 8 mil turrets. After that they moved to a 10 mil turret and the Burris logo and print is in FDE.

Later models had grey logos and print and featured the tungsten ring near the magnification adjustment.

Thanks alot!

So, early models: 8 mil turrets - Burris logo and print in FDE. ( was a little confused about if it was early or late models you ment have the FDE logos )

Later models: 10 mil turrets - grey logo - and tungsten ring near zoom adjustment? ( is the tungsten ring visibel or )

Sry, but my english is not perfect, i just want to be sure :)

Here you go. Newer model. Grey logo and silver tungsten ring.

And older model. FDE print and logo. No tungsten ring.

Here you go. Newer model. Grey logo and silver tungsten ring.

Thank you so much! As far as i can see, some models looks like the tungsten ring is not so silver looking, but more dark grey. Does that means anything? Or is it maybe just the pictures that "tricks" the eye? Sry for my english, hope you understand what i mean :)

Nah, they look a little different. They are all tungsten though.

That photo above is under photography lighting with a quality camera.