• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR iii, how are they doing?

I am waiting for an Illuminated version for my hunting rifle. However, I won't pay MSRP simply due to resale value just not being there for Burris.

I think resale will be stronger with the illuminated versions. Much more broad based appeal versus the target/competition version.

And to be honest, I've seen several of them go quickly on FB and another forum. The Hide seems to be where they lag.

Reactions: Chasing3
I actually prefer the current thickness of the SCR2 reticle but think if they do the illumination right and maybe add another thick black top or bottom centered vertical line, like the sides have, that it would work well as a crossover scope. I really like the scope and the field of view is better then a lot of other comparable price range scopes.

I actually prefer the current thickness of the SCR2 reticle but think if they do the illumination right and maybe add another thick black top or bottom centered vertical line, like the sides have, that it would work well as a crossover scope. I really like the scope and the field of view is better then a lot of other comparable price range scopes.

I actually share your opinion. I really like the reticle the way it is and have no use for illumination for the majority of my usage.

But I'll buy one when illumination hits for my elk rifle. I have already confirmed with management at Burris that the reticle will be thicker in illuminated models.

Reactions: Chasing3
@Birddog6424 Do you know the measurements that they have settled and on or plan on using for the illuminated model?

I have heard them, but have to confess, I dont remember them.

I "think" they will be the same thickness as the current SCR or perhaps a hair thicker. The SCR illuminates very well, which seemed to be the litmus for the reticle thickness they were looking for. So in think that would work well for that reticle.

Personally, for hunting I really like the SCR. For a dedicated hunting scope that is probably the route I'll go.

Mine was bad out of the box. Took a bit to figure out is was the scope or the new gun. I put on an Athlon scope, my second one, and it proved that it was the Burris scope, not me, the Gun, or the Ammo. Off to Burris for repair or replacement. Not thrilled. I own 7 of their red dots on pistols and they have been perfect.

I’m not intentionally dropping my $1k + scope on the ground to see if it survives…….

I hope they do a job at qc then the xtrll.
Yeah the xtrII was hit or miss. I still have mine and it has been abused worse than any other scope I’ve owned and it functions flawlessly, tabled my buddy into getting one and it was the biggest pos he’s ever bought lol. Butt my xtr3 has been great I’m still very happy with it and I’ll probably get another with illum at the going price point

Ah,no. not intentionally dropping my high $ scope. I don't even get them wet.
In my possession, this scope didn't get wet, dropped, or banged into anything in my safe or anywhere else. It was torqued down properly to a Spuhr one piece mount. Padded travel case was handled like an egg carton. Very careful. It was mounted on a Vudoo, so you know I was extra careful.
I'm hoping I don't get "I'm sorry Sir, but we didn't find anything wrong". Fingers crossed.

Ah,no. not intentionally dropping my high $ scope. I don't even get them wet.
In my possession, this scope didn't get wet, dropped, or banged into anything in my safe or anywhere else. It was torqued down properly to a Spuhr one piece mount. Padded travel case was handled like an egg carton. Very careful. It was mounted on a Vudoo, so you know I was extra careful.
I'm hoping I don't get "I'm sorry Sir, but we didn't find anything wrong". Fingers crossed.

I can tell you, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that you are part of a very small minority of people that have had a problem with the XTRIII.

They break, just like every scope on the market. But they break far less than a lot of other scopes on the market. There isn't a scope manufacturer on the market at any price that wouldn't wish for the XTRII/XTRIII durability track record.

Reactions: Hkmiller
Burris is a quality brand, in my opinion. They offer a lot of value, for a fair price. I'm anxiously waiting for someone to sell us a used XTR III, but we haven't had any come through here. Maybe people don't want to sell them.

I have multiple XTRII and now one XTRIII (non-illuminated). Pleased with all but certainly like the better glass in the XTRIII. All with the SCR reticle. All used regularly on PRS training and competition. Just got back from NM antelope event and one of the XTRII spent a week bouncing around in truck on bad roads with no issues.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Burris is a quality brand, in my opinion. They offer a lot of value, for a fair price. I'm anxiously waiting for someone to sell us a used XTR III, but we haven't had any come through here. Maybe people don't want to sell them.
I may be able to help you if you want an illuminated 5.5-30×56.

I have a cert I picked up at the NW Regional PRS Finale this weekend that I originally intended to give to a junior shooter. But found out yesterday from his dad that he got a close out nonilluminated XTRIII already. So I'll probably be selling this.

Reactions: RKBArmory
I may be able to help you if you want an illuminated 5.5-30×56.

I have a cert I picked up at the NW Regional PRS Finale this weekend that I originally intended to give to a junior shooter. But found out yesterday from his dad that he got a close out nonilluminated XTRIII already. So I'll probably be selling this.
Let me know if you want to sell the cert.