• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris XTR III or NX8

Buckeye Scott

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
TX III in either the 3.3x18 or 5.5x30; or Nightforce NX8 in 2.5x20 or 4x32. I have only been able to get my hands on the NX8 2.5x20 and really did like it. Not sure if I really need the magnification when even down the road I would rarely attempt to shoot past 1k. The Burris would likely save me about $600. Anyone have any opinions toward what would be better suited or at least what magnification I should go for. thanks.

Last edited:
I have never looked through an nx8 but really enjoy my xtr3’s. I got the chance to look through the xtr pro at a match and came home that night and sold my kahles 6-24 and ordered a pro. Then I bought a xtr3 3-18 and 5-30.

I am still waiting on the pro to arrive but the xtr3’s have really impressed me. The glass is really good, great FOV, Eyebox is very forgiving. And I like the scr and scr2 reticles. The down side is the mag ring on both my examples are stiff, the knurling on the turrets Is pretty aggressive for most I would say, and the elevation turret was pretty stiff on both of mine. I found some thick grease under the turrets and after cleaning that out the turrets feel great.

I have never looked through an nx8 but really enjoy my xtr3’s. I got the chance to look through the xtr pro at a match and came home that night and sold my kahles 6-24 and ordered a pro. Then I bought a xtr3 3-18 and 5-30.

I am still waiting on the pro to arrive but the xtr3’s have really impressed me. The glass is really good, great FOV, Eyebox is very forgiving. And I like the scr and scr2 reticles. The down side is the mag ring on both my examples are stiff, the knurling on the turrets Is pretty aggressive for most I would say, and the elevation turret was pretty stiff on both of mine. I found some thick grease under the turrets and after cleaning that out the turrets feel great.
Thanks, been struggling to get my hands on either. Called most shops within an hour drive. Do you prefer the 3x18 or 5x30?

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Thanks, been struggling to get my hands on either. Called most shops within an hour drive. Do you prefer the 3x18 or 5x30?
In my particular samples the glass and turrets are better on the 5-30. Not huge difference but noticeable. I bought both used so I’m not sure if one is an earlier production. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Just decide based on the mag range you want and you will be happy

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I have an NX8 4-32, and an XTR3 3-18. I think the glass is ever so slightly better on the NX8, and I personally like the turret feel more too. But the XTR3 still has fantastic glass, the field of view is amazing, and it has significantly more internal travel. Considering the cost difference I think it's great choice.

Kinda in the same boat in deciding between the two. I've spent a fair bit of time behind each and will probably get another Burris for the eye box and elevation. One of the night forces, both 4-32, had amazing glass. The other was meh. Definitely waiting for the illuminated Burris because that is a thin reticle. Tough for fast low power shots in anything but perfect conditions. The Burris people told me they are shipping in June. Not holding my breath.