• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris XTR Pro Parallax Issue

Gtscotty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
I recently sold off my trusty old Vortex AMG to pick up a Burris XTR Pro for a range only rifle.

I like pretty much everything about the Burris except that when adjusting the parallax for sharpest focus, the yardage markings on the dial consistently shows a little less than a third of the actual distance. So when focused at the 750 berm, the dial shows is set between 200 and 300, at 1,000 yds, the dial shows ~300, and at 1,250 ~ 350. All well known distances. I sent the optic back for repair after the first range trip, and recently received it back with a note that basically said the issue wasn't duplicated and the "board reflected correctly at 120 yds" whatever that means.

Before I sent it back again I just wanted to get a sanity check from the hide. I set the ocular focus the same way I always do, using the process in the sticky on this board. Is there something stupid I could be doing to screw this up? Never had this issue with my AMG, Athlons or the old SWFA 3-15 I was shooting next to the Burris last trip.

Second, should the scope be parallax free wherever it's clear? Since I've never had one that's so far off of the parallax dial markings, and I'm not sure how the internals work, would you assume that if the scope is clear at 1,000yds with the dial set to 300, that it's parallax free at that range, on that setting, even though it's way off of the marking?

This is the board they are referring to, pictured below (these are from the actual Burris facility). The optical technicians who do this all day, every day, looking at the board through a small window to the outside, says it's good to go. They have no reason to be dishonest with you. They have no issues with repairing or replacing your optic.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, you're just seeing it differently through this optic. If it looks good to your eye, it doesn't matter what the dial says.

Reactions: Gtscotty
Thanks for the response, I figured it could be something about my eye, but then why would all my other scopes not show the same issue? I've rarely had a scope where the Parallax dial was dead on, but they have always been reasonably close.

What bothers me about this scope is that the parallax is not like 10% -20% off either way like you might normal see, it's 300% off of the indicated parallax distance. I don't really believe that that's an issue with just my eye (that only shows up with this scope), but I'll get some of the other folks on the long range to adjust it to their eye next time I'm out, and if it's similarly far off, I'll send it back again.

Btw, I don't doubt that the technicians were able to get the Parallax right at 125 yds, I doubt that the dial was reading anywhere close to that, although maybe the error becomes more pronounced with range.

Reactions: Birddog6424
My parallax marking pretty much never match the scales.

Many companies don't even put numbers for this reason it appears
I like the mk5 approach to just leave you the ability to slip the scale.

As long as in focus and parallax free are in the same place I gave up on the scale a long time ago.
I have sent one back because it's was parallax free when out of focus so that didn't work well

Might be because of where each of us have to set our ocular adjustments so we can see the reticle though... I dunno but you are not alone as none of mine line up

Reactions: Gtscotty