• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR ring choice?

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
Hey, so I'm purchasing an SWFA SS 10x42 riflescope. I plan to get Burris XTR 30mm rings. My question is: What height rings should I get? It will be mounted on a Savage Arms Stevens 200 with an EGW one-piece base with a bull barrel. I'm thinking maybe I can get by with the extra low (.5 inch clearance) but PLEASE let me know if that is too low. I want the lowest I can get but have the scope clear the barrel WITH flip-up caps. Thank you.

Re: Burris XTR ring choice?

You wont be disappointed with those rings. They are top notch

I think 467 is right. I mounted a 56mm obj NF on a 1.25 straight barrel on a mauser action (1.36 OD tenon as opposed to 1.34 OD tenon on savage IIRC) and the medium XTR's still left about .22" between the barrel and the scope bell.

I've got a Savage with an EGW base and a 44 mm obj.
The Burris lows work pretty well on it.

One thing I just noticed from another post about those rings is they do not leave a mark on my scope tube and I've given them lots of opportunity.
I think that's pretty cool.

That scope you're getting is a nice piece of kit. I've had the HD. Never mounted it though.