• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR ring height question

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Gents, I need some feedback before I buy.

I have a Rem 700 with varmint contour. Will the low Burris XTR rings give me enough clearance between scope and barrel using a 20 MOA rail? Or do I need to use mediums? The scope is a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44.

Re: Burris XTR ring height question

Craig, do the math man!

The XTR "low" is 0.25" from base top to ring bore bottom.

Presuming the XTR is now made in 1" diameter -- they used to only be available in 30mm size -- you would then add 1/2 the diameter, i.e. the radius to get the base top to ring bore centerline dimension.

Add the height of your base at the front, and that's the dimension the base and rings will raise your scope.

How tall is the scope? Well, you got to measure the OD of the objective assembly, and divide by two. Compare that figure to the figure above. Will it clear? You tell us!!!
smile.gif

I mounted a Sightron BS SII 6.5-20X50 MD today on a 700 with Burris XTR 1" Low rings and EGW 20 moa base and I shimmed the base in the back to had a little more top end adj. There was 1/4" room between the obj and the barrel. You should have no problem with a 44mm scope.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Craig, do the math man!

The XTR "low" is 0.25" from base top to ring bore bottom.

Presuming the XTR is now made in 1" diameter -- they used to only be available in 30mm size -- you would then add 1/2 the diameter, i.e. the radius to get the base top to ring bore centerline dimension.

Add the height of your base at the front, and that's the dimension the base and rings will raise your scope.

How tall is the scope? Well, you got to measure the OD of the objective assembly, and divide by two. Compare that figure to the figure above. Will it clear? You tell us!!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

That's the easy part Nate. Now use your supreme math skills to determine the clearance still available once you consider the angle imposed on the scope by the 20 MOA base that I'm going to add. Being a math major, this wouldn't be difficult for me to determine, but at that time of night I had no interest in working that shit out. It was a common configuration that I assumed many others have put together. Behind the scenes I'm also trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to zero this at 100yds. Not much travel in the Monarchs.

BTW, don't read into my response. Just jabbin' you a little too
smile.gif

Thanks Max. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sometimes 20 moa bases don't give as much top end adjustment that is needed or wanted. You can shim the back of the base to get a little more top end adjustment. Shim the front to take away.

Shim Thickness - .005" = 5 moa @ 100 yards.

Shims can be made from an aluminum drink can. Fold a piece and tap it flat for double thickness.

It is a great way to squeeze out as much top end adjustment as you can on a scope that is total moa deficient.

GC