• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR scope rings / EGW scope bases

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
is there really anything wrong with these rings or do people avoid them simply because they aren't upper echelon? They seem very VERY well made and with no reason at all to avoid them.

What are some of the complaints people have had about them if any? or why do people avoid them and go to more expensive aluminum rings?

I ask the same question concerning EGW scope bases.

Re: Burris XTR scope rings / EGW scope bases

I just installed an EGW base and XTR rings on my brothers hunting rifle as he was not looking to spend $300. Some observations that I had concerning the base was that it has no recoil lug. They sit quite high I believe it was .450" at the rear. However, EGW does make a low profile base not sure of the measurement though. The rings were for the most part fine given the price. The only concern I had was on the low rings the cross bolt nut when torqued was touching the bottom ring half. Other than that they are good cheaper alternative but I personally prefer Badger or Seekins.

I had looked hard at XTR rings and read a lot of reviews and have seen a lot of people who are unhappy with them. I bought Seekins and have been very happy, except that he's taking a while to get his 1" rings out.
laugh.gif

I run two EGW bases and have zero problems.

Dsparil,

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll be able to tell you if there's anything wrong with that combo. i just finished remounting that exact same combo on my rifle last night.

It's a 300wsm so that should put them to the test. I was out of play money so I had to use that combo. I think if I had the cash I would go with a Seekins combo for two reasons. #1 I haven't heard anything but good about them, and #2 I've just recently noticed Seekins is here in the Hide answering questions from time to time, and that's BIG in my book.

-Pat

I run that exact combo on my Rem 700 SPS-v in .308. 3000+ rounds thru the rifle, scope has never moved. Works for me.

SY

i have no complaints with xtr rings. i use them on three of my rigs. just don't over tighten the base mount nut.

Excellent low cost combo. I use them on all of my rifles and mount them for customers all the time. You can spend more on your rings and base but get very little more in return for the extra cost.

The torque specs for the 1/2" hex nut is 65-100 in/lbs. I have torque them up to 90 in/lbs with no problems. They are very tuff set of rings. Also being wider they put less stress on the scope because they spread the clamping pressure over a larger surface area.

The EGW bases are well made for the cost. They are very easy to bed. The bedding compound adheres to the matte finish on the bottom very well.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SYK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run that exact combo on my Rem 700 SPS-v in .308. 3000+ rounds thru the rifle, scope has never moved. Works for me.

SY </div></div>

same here but on a 223 sps tactical, also run XTR rings on a 300 wsm and 308 and have had not problems with movement under recoil.

Just ran my first box of 300wsm through that set-up, zero problems, very happy.

-Pat

I think I may get that set for my nightforce then. I was hoping to get a TPS ring and base combo, but TPS doesn't have any bases in stock and I have NO idea who has them.

The XTR 30mm Low rings work on scopes with odj up to 50mm or 52mm with a EGW base. Some bases are a little lower.

GC

sounds good. and the burris xtr rings hold up really well? I'd wind up loctiting these things down so I'm not really worried.

I use xtr lows with a kenferrel steel base and have had zero problems. Some people do give me a weird look when they see my nightforce in the xtr, but since they havent given me any problems i just cant get rid of them.

I have three XTR rings holding the scope on my .50 BMG. With 18 caps screws torqued to 20 inch pounds that scope in not going anywhere!