• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR vs Steiner T5xi

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
I know the steiner is roughly double the price of the Burris, so the question is, is it worth the price jump?

They both are owned by Berreta at this point, so curious how much is shared between the two of them quality and construction wise. I currently own a XTRii and looking to outfit another rig in a month or so.

The turrets on the T5xi are awesome in my opinion. You might find a used T5xi for the cost of a new XTR II.

I have a friend that has the Burris and I have the comparable Steiner. The turrets and controls on the Steiner are great. We both think the optics on the Steiner is noticeably better. Build quality on the Steiner seems higher grade. Both are good scopes and we can hit the same targets out to 1000y, so it come down to personal preference and budget.

I think the Steiner is made at the former Burris facility in CO. The XTR II is made overseas.

So the steiner is better glass and turrets is what I am getting from the replies. I may go for it.

Does anyone know if it's available with a horus reticle?

So the steiner is better glass and turrets is what I am getting from the replies. I may go for it.

I think I've seen one with an H59 but it was at a significant premium (2000ish I think). At that price point I would be looking at other optics.

I've used both. Both 3-15 models (and the 4-20 on the XTR) are superior to the 5-25 IMHO. My T5Xi had really poor optics and the parallax was very hard to set right. The T5Xi 3-15 is quite a bit better IMHO. On the XTR side, the 3-15 and 4-20 are a bit better than the 5-25, but the 5-25 clears up a good bit by the time it gets to 20x. As to the "is it worth it" question, I think the Steiner 3-15 is worth the price upgrade. If you need more mag, I'd probably get the XTR II 4-20 and save a few bucks.

The Steiner turrets really are great and the SCR reticle is awesome, but I just didn't think either was worth the asking price due to the poor optics. The Cronus is a better option right in between the price of these two. SWFA HD 5-20 is another good option. But if you're set on the XTR or T5Xi, I'd get the T5Xi 3-15 or XTR II 4-20, like I mentioned above. They're both pretty decent scopes.

I'd honestly browse the used section on here for a Cronus. It's by far my favorite scope now that I've gotten some more time behind the Athlon in recent weeks. Super clear, turrets are fantastic and the clarity is definitely better on Cronus vs Steiner. I picked up an OG 1st gen Cronus for $800. Search, you may be surprised what you find.

Reactions: patriot07
I had a Burris XTRii 4-20. I bought a 30mm Tract Toric HD for another rifle I built and the optics were significantly better. I also really like the locking turrets on the Toric. I liked the Tract so much I sold my Burris and bought another Toric. They are made in Japan in the Low factory and really are a fantastic optic at a truly amazing price. I’ve never had to use CS but based on how responsive they have been to my email questions I would guess it is outstanding also.

We have been getting regular deliveries of the Steiners in demos at great prices. please feel free to give us a call and we will hook you up

CamerlandNY is fantastic to deal with. Ordered a few scopes from them. One had an issue they went above and beyond to get me in touch with Athlon, who is also awesome.

I know the steiner is roughly double the price of the Burris, so the question is, is it worth the price jump?

They both are owned by Berreta at this point, so curious how much is shared between the two of them quality and construction wise. I currently own a XTRii and looking to outfit another rig in a month or so.

The Steiner is a much better scope. I had a Burris XTR2 3-15x50 and no longer have that. I still have my Steiner t5xi 3-15x50. The turrets on the Steiner is setup so they are idiot proof. You know what elevation settings they are on no matter what revolution you are at. The Steiner had CA but the Burris had horrendous amount of CA. Also the Steiner was a shorter scope so if you are looking for a smaller scope then between the two, the Steiner will be the scope for you.