• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR Warranty Experience

Reguladeth

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2020
Minnesota
I recently purchased a Burris XTRII 2-10x42 with the MIL dot reticle because it was reasonably priced, was exactly the magnification range I wanted, was parallax adjustable, and had MIL reticle/turrets. Also, it is familiar to me because I have several other XTRs (which I thought were exceptionally well built).

On my first outting with it, I shot about 40 rounds through my 6.5 Creedmoor, but couldn't get it sighted in precisely. On the last shot, the reticle rotated about 10-15 degrees!

I contacted the Burris warranty department, and they had me send it in. Initially, they just sent an address label, but after describing the situation, they did send a prepaid label.

Anyway, the service representative contacts me several days later, and says the scope is confirmed defective, but they can't repair (I'm not sure why not). He says they can replace it with a 3-15 with the same reticle. After some back and forth exploring other options, I agree to have them send the 3-15 as it is the only close option available. I pretty much accepted it for what it is at this point. I probably won't buy another Burris scope, but I am willing to give them a second chance, primarily because the stuff I have has served me well and the price was good.

Fast forward a few days, and it turns out the scope that they sent is a refurbished 3-15. I recognize that the refurbished is probably as good as a new optic (hopefully better in this case), but I can't help feel like I've been screwed over. I bought a brand new scope, and am now stuck with something quite different that is basically used. If I had wanted a refurbished 3-15, I could have bought it at the time for about $450, instead of the close to $1k I paid.

I have never been more disappointed with a product/customer service in my entire life. Needless to say I will be exploring other optic options for this rifle, and will likely be replacing all the other XTRs I have.

I would at least make contact with them about it being a refurbished one. It should have been replaced with new & upgraded if the same thing isn't available any more. I have only had 1 issues with a Burris and it was an RT25. It was having a parallax/ Diopiter issue. The issue wound up being my eyes changed again.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Update:
Just called Burris, and explained my situation.
Apparently, the 3-15 with the G2B mil-dot that they sent was a discontinued model as well!
The person I spoke with on the phone offered to replace the one I sent with the SCR-MIL version, but it wont be in stock until the end of November.
I said, "Sounds good, so I can just use this one until the other one comes in stock."
No, apparently I have to send this one in now, so that they can restock it.
So, if I want a scope that is somewhat similar to what I sent in, I will have to wait about 4.5 months in total and go without until then.

I understand that there are a lot of supply issues right now, but this is just outrageous to me.

Something I forgot to mention in the original post is that the refurbished version that was sent did not include either the sunshade nor the scope caps that are typically included, and of course the ones from the old scope don't fit since it was 42mm instead of 50mm.
Also, it must be worn out or old because the turrets are super mushy, were they are really crisp on my others.

Tell them you need something for hunting season - maybe a Veracity 2-10 or ask if you can pay to upgrade to the XTR3 3.3-18x50.

Reactions: Defender32
I would ask about upgrading optics and what it would cost me. For a strictly hunting rig the RT15 & RT25 are a good option. I am not familiar with many of the others. I do love my XTR2 & XTR3 optics I have.

All I can say is that I'm jealous of how good your experience with burris CS is going. At least they are offering something- I couldn't even get that out of them.

After that I swore off all of their products- which is a shame because the new XTR3 looks very good- but I can't support them after my XTR2 experience.

All I can say is that I'm jealous of how good your experience with burris CS is going. At least they are offering something- I couldn't even get that out of them.

After that I swore off all of their products- which is a shame because the new XTR3 looks very good- but I can't support them after my XTR2 experience.
Just curious, what sort of problem did you have with your XTR?

I've had good experience with Burris CS... But I'd return it and buy a gen2 pst for a 2-10

(See if I can remember this correctly)
When I sent in my 1-5,1.5-8,3-15, & 4-20 for dead illumination they were quick to resolve it and even replaced the 3-15 because they couldn't fix it and offered the 4-20 with Horus as it was what they had in stock without an upgrade charge

( I tried an 8-40 as well, but didn't keep it long enough to kill cuz the glass wasn't good enough for that magnification to me)

So I honestly can't complain about service... Other than. They all needed to be serviced I guess

I sold my 2-10 because I was getting tired of sending the rest in and switched to vortex pst2 as I also like the 2-10 reticle better than the g2b mildot option because on min magnification the g2b 1/2 mil is wider than the mildot and it screws my brain into thinking that the wider is the mil and the dot is the 1/2... Maybe that's because of my eyes, brain, or lack of spending as much time on that scope as my others tough

Only one illumination hasn't died yet, and that is the 1-8
For some reason I kill xtr2 illumination switch / knobs I guess..

Side note I noticed they still haven't released the illuminated version of the xtr3 ....

I've been hoping that there would be some upgrades made to illumination on this model as I've never had a tracking issue or mechanical failure with the Burris, but I do like illumination in ffp reticles that I might use on low mag at dusk.

I feel like Burris's CS is one of those CS's that you have to press to make things right. I had a discontinued Burris XTR 1-5 that the mag ring seized up. I sent it back(had to pay shipping) and they told me it was unrepairable and they would give me either an RT-6 or store credit. I was pissed and said that I wanted an lpvo with equal or better quality like the XTR 1-8 or Steiner P4xi since I knew they were owned by the same company. They complied and I got an upgrade to a P4xi so I can't complain all that much but they were definitely not vortex level CS and would have felt fine giving me a $250 RT-6 to replace a $500 XTR.
I would say call them and ask for an upgrade to either a Steiner offering or XTR 3 and see what they offer.

"Make things right." It sounds to me like Burris went out of their way to accommodate you.

We all bought new scopes, then we take them out and mount them and they become used scopes. You sent in a used scope, you received back a used scope that was as close as they could get to what you had, and "you" talked with them and agreed to their solution. Then they agreed to send a new what ever instead of used for used, and you think you should get a loaner for 3 months while you wait. Then this sanded up your vagina so much, you decide to come make your first posts on Snipershide about it. While your sense of entitlement is strong, i don't think you read much here, or you would know how these threads usually go.

• Haha
Reactions: Holliday
Ask for an upgrade and you pay for the difference. I had a reticle spin on me once. It was a Primary Arms 1-6 on a AK. Spun the second shot. It happens man, serves me right to put a cheap scope on a dirty Russian.

"Make things right." It sounds to me like Burris went out of their way to accommodate you.

We all bought new scopes, then we take them out and mount them and they become used scopes. You sent in a used scope, you received back a used scope that was as close as they could get to what you had, and "you" talked with them and agreed to their solution. Then they agreed to send a new what ever instead of used for used, and you think you should get a loaner for 3 months while you wait. Then this sanded up your vagina so much, you decide to come make your first posts on Snipershide about it. While your sense of entitlement is strong, i don't think you read much here, or you would know how these threads usually go.
Found the Burris shill. You say he sent in a used scope like he trading in a used car lol. He didn't plan on sending the scope in for a new one, it broke after a measly 40 rds. Burris, who advertises a forever warranty that's the same as Vortex's, "fixed" their own fuckup by sending a used 3-15 with mushy ass turrets. How that sounds like entitlement is beyond me.
Congrats on your 8,000 posts and full member status. Truly coveted credentials :p

A couple of points to consider:

XTR2 2-10x42 is a rather nice scope, but it has been discontinued for over a year (disappointingly; I really liked it). When you buy a new scope that has been discontinued for a while, it is entirely probably that they do not have any more of these laying around. Sending a refurbished model as a replacement is pretty common practice and as far as manufacturer is concerned, the replaced your 2-10x with the more expensive 3-15x that is also discontinued, but at least they has one on hand.

3-4 years ago, I had a Vortex Diamonback HP 2-8x32 go tits up. It was discontinued at that point, so they replaced it with what they had: 3-12x42 Diamondback HP. They no longer had the exact model I sent in, so they replaced with the closest option they had that was more expensive than what I had sent in. Sounds like pretty much the same thing as what Burris did here.

ILya

Found the Burris shill. You say he sent in a used scope like he trading in a used car lol. He didn't plan on sending the scope in for a new one, it broke after a measly 40 rds. Burris, who advertises a forever warranty that's the same as Vortex's, "fixed" their own fuckup by sending a used 3-15 with mushy ass turrets. How that sounds like entitlement is beyond me.
Congrats on your 8,000 posts and full member status. Truly coveted credentials :p
What do you call new scope that has been used? What do you a call new car you drove off the lot?

They have a forever warranty and made good on it. They made an agreement with the OP and honored it. He doesn't like it now, because of information he failed to gather. No, you don't very often get a new scope for a replacement. Not unless its some cheap shit scope. You're definitely not likey to get a new replacement if you bought a discounted model. Bushnell I know also would send out refurbished scopes for replacements of their ERS, and a 3-12 LRHS I bent the turret on.

• Haha
What do you call new scope that has been used? What do you a call new car you drove off the lot?

They have a forever warranty and made good on it. They made an agreement with the OP and honored it. He doesn't like it now, because of information he failed to gather. No, you don't very often get a new scope for a replacement. Not unless its some cheap shit scope. You're definitely not likey to get a new replacement if you bought a discounted model. Bushnell I know also would send out refurbished scopes for replacements of their ERS, and a 3-12 LRHS I bent the turret on.
I'd be pissed if I bought a brand new scope that failed straight out of the box, to only have it replaced with a refurbished scope.
I'd have at least thought telling the customer they would be receiving a refurb would've been a smart move on behalf of Burris, especially if like the OP said he could've bought a refurb direct from a retailer for $450.

I would have thought expecting a used scope after sending in a used scope would have been smart move on the OPs behalf. Or getting more details in the deal he agreed to, before he agreed to it, and before things were shipped, if he is picky.

I have bought new scopes that failed straight out of the box to after much use. Guess what, they repaired the scope, or replaced it with refurb. They did not send a new scope. This goes for my Razor, ERS, and XTRIII. I don't have any idea why someone thinks they are entitled to a new scope when the old one fails. I don't give a shit if its 40 rounds in, 4000, rounds in a or 4 million rounds in, its a used scope. Used is used, its that simple.

Would he be bitching if they fixed his 2-10? That would have been a reformed scope too.....

The end of November is 4.5 months from the second week in September. Someone must have mixed up his calendar.

I would have thought expecting a used scope after sending in a used scope would have been smart move on the OPs behalf. Or getting more details in the deal he agreed to, before he agreed to it, and before things were shipped, if he is picky.

I have bought new scopes that failed straight out of the box to after much use. Guess what, they repaired the scope, or replaced it with refurb. They did not send a new scope. This goes for my Razor, ERS, and XTRIII. I don't have any idea why someone thinks they are entitled to a new scope when the old one fails. I don't give a shit if its 40 rounds in, 4000, rounds in a or 4 million rounds in, its a used scope. Used is used, its that simple.

Would he be bitching if they fixed his 2-10? That would have been a reformed scope too.....

The end of November is 4.5 months from the second week in September. Someone must have mixed up his calendar.
The difference is it never worked in the first place, and given that he could've bought a refurbished one from the get go for less than 50% the price isn't very cool.

If I were the OP I'd ask to send the 3-15 back (provided he didn't know it was a refurb) and ask for the full refund.
In no sense does he have what he initially paid for and can go buy a refurbished 3-15 at a discount.

Thats not a difference. That is shit you are speculating happened. For all we know he crushed it the rings or bent it with a bad mount. Or it broke on round 39. You are speculating about shit you have no idea about now.

All that other you shit you said is stuff he should have hashed out before making a deal.

Thats not a difference. That is shit you are speculating happened. For all we know he crushed it the rings or bent it with a bad mount. Or it broke on round 39. You are speculating about shit you have no idea about now.

All that other you shit you said is stuff he should have hashed out before making a deal.
Fair enough it could well have been operator error as it seems to be with a lot of scope issues.

If things are as the OP said and he didn't know the 3-15 was going to be a refurb then you can't blame him for signing up to a crappy deal if he wasn't given the details of it.
It shouldn't be up to OP to ask every single question under the sun, if Burris knew they were sending out a refurb they should've said.

Unfortunately with all these cases of perceived poor CS you only ever get one side of story, so can never be sure of what actually happened.
As has been laid out by the OP, I think he got a raw deal, if he left out some important information then I'm willing to change my opinion.

Just to clarify...

-This was in fact my first post here. I have gathered a lot of useful information from this forum over the years. I just thought I might have some useful information for people trying to decide whether to choose a Vortex or Burris as a budget optic option, or engage in a constructive discussion of what my options may be. Sorry if I offended anyone by doing so.

-This is certainly not the first scope I have purchased and installed. I do not believe I over-torqued the rings. I did use a quality torque wrench, but perhaps it failed, there were very faint ring marks on the tube but no indicators it had been crushed. Regardless this should not have affected the reticle in any way as it is not attached to the tube internally.

-I would have been been fine with them repairing my 2-10 because that is what I bought (and wanted), and also, my accessories would have fit it.

-Based on my conversation, I thought I would be receiving 201033, and what I actually received was 201030-R, which is the old 8MIL/Turn elevation turrets.

- Yes, I do consider a scope I took out the first time as brand new. The scope was absolutely DOA. As I said in my original post, I put 40 rounds through it trying to sight-in, systematically rechecking different things that I thought may be affecting the shifting zero.

-Would you expect the dealer to repair or replace a brand new F150 if it broke down as you were driving off the lot, or would you be ok with a 2014 Mustang that they fixed up? What if the Mustang was worth more in 2014 than the F150 was new? Is this considered an upgrade?

-Would you expect a loaner vehicle if it were in the shop for 4.5 months? Also, I never said 4.5 months from now. I sent it in mid-early July. Mid July to late November is 4.5 months, therefore, I would have been without an optic for 4.5 months.

Anyway, I appreciate the info I have gotten from some of the members, and have purchased a Viper PST, which has been great so far.
As mentioned previously, Burris has been very accommodating, and it really does seem like a "No Questions Asked" warranty. I assume you just have to ask/tell them exactly what you want to happen in the first place. This back and forth business with customer service is ridiculous.