• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3 and Race dial feedback/reviews?

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Now that the XTR3 has been in the wild for a good few months now I'm surprised at the lack of reviews/thoughts on the new scope.
I'm well aware that there is a huge thread on here but am hoping to hear feedback from folk other just Dtros and Birddog (no disrespect implied).

Really wanting to hear how folk are using the race dial and to what effect?
Do you add your own drops at the start of a match for the weather of the day or are you changing your markings every stage?
I shot at a hunter style match over the weekend and found myself thinking the Burris race dial would have been an awesome feature to have.

So make your own race dials.

Not really the same though is it, the Burris dials are overly tall to give extra room to scribble on in the field.

Not the same as a DIY ballistic/CDS turret.

Reactions: Colorado S14
I have to admit Beetroot, I'm kinda surprised there isnt more feedback here on the Hide. And I'm not.

I know its selling really well. I see lots of great feedback on some other social media locations I follow. It's a rock solid choice for anyone looking to spend 2k or less.

But it took 2 to 3 years for the XTRII to earn even a small measure of grudging respect here on the Hide. The XTR3 is a much nicer scope, but who knows.

I wish they could overhaul my XTR II s and make them better with their new tech. and glass.

Would not be against paying some bucks for an overhaul. but use the Basic Block, just like an engine.

I'm writing up my review of a 5.5-30 XTR III now and I like just about everything about it. I don't have the race dial but I can certainly see where it would be helpful in some circumstances. For me, it would negate the need for me to have a dope holder, either attached to the scope rail or on my arm, in many of the stages that I'd shoot. Generally, at our local matches we have 90 seconds on the clock to engage multiple targets, which outside of some crazy movement or positions to get into is plenty of time to dial for each target. Currently on multiple target stages like that I use a dope holder with my dope on it but if I could write that dope directly on the knob, it would be one less step and I would just dial the knob to the dope for that stage, easy peasy.

Reactions: beetroot
I have to admit Beetroot, I'm kinda surprised there isnt more feedback here on the Hide. And I'm not.

I know its selling really well. I see lots of great feedback on some other social media locations I follow. It's a rock solid choice for anyone looking to spend 2k or less.

But it took 2 to 3 years for the XTRII to earn even a small measure of grudging respect here on the Hide. The XTR3 is a much nicer scope, but who knows.

Maybe I'll too look harder for reviews but the main forums seem to all be lacking.

Do you mind sharing how you use the race dial?
Is it a feature you are constantly making use of, or have you just made it into a ballistic turret and dont ever alter it?