• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

I think the guy from the Razor Gen4 thread works for Burris.
Spend enough time pouring over specs at gun-maker's and optics websites and you'll find plenty of typos and copy conflicts. It's everywhere, really. Just read any news story these days, and it's pretty rare if you don't find that it contains obvious grammatical errors. It seems nobody wants to pay for copy editing any more: "Nah, that's not too important, just do the best you can. We'll publish it anyway." The Idiocracy may be arriving sooner than expected.

/rant off ;)

." The Idiocracy may be arriving sooner than expected.

/rant off ;)
It’s already here. My daughter’s class was the first one in the school district that didn’t teach spelling. Who needs to do that when there’s autocorrect? Mmmhmm. Let’s just say that the kids are lacking in proficiency in spelling and correct usage and context of some words. Just read here and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

You could be the smartest MFer in the room but if you can’t spell and know the difference on how to use there, their and they’re…

Anyone get the illuminated 3-18XTR3i in hand yet?

soooooooooon.

Id say a date but some panties might get in a bunch if its not met. :LOL:

Will post as soon as I hear anything concrete tho. I heard they are arriving in CO this week or the next, but I do know that as soon as the scopes arrive here, each and every one is opened, inspected, and resealed and that may take a week or 2 as well.

Pretty excited for an illum 3-18 for half the price of an illum Mk 5 3-18 to put on my hunting rifle. Should be a big seller. And Im a fan of the Mk5. I own one.

GL
DT

Honestly, I'm having a crisis. As an admitted Vortex fanboi, these scopes are REALLY fucking tempting to try out. That 3-18 would be perfect for my MWS and MRP Valk. I could get 2 for about what a Razor costs now.
Seriously doubt you would have any regrets getting the XTR III. Also considerably less weight than the Razor, if that matters.

It doesn't... but it does. Lol. Loved my Gen 2's but HOLY SCHNIKE'S were they toads. Now to decide whether I want a 5.5-30 or 4.5-22 Razor LHT for an upcoming tac/hunting Origin build.

I have 2 US XTR3 5.5-30's and should have an LHT 4.5-22 to compare shortly, assuming it was shipped. Assume you've read already, but the XTR3 is a touch better than the Razor G2. It is not a Razor G3 though, and is closer to the G2 than it is to the G3. Maybe the Pro is ~G3...

It doesn't... but it does. Lol. Loved my Gen 2's but HOLY SCHNIKE'S were they toads. Now to decide whether I want a 5.5-30 or 4.5-22 Razor LHT for an upcoming tac/hunting Origin build.
5.5-30. The 4.5-22 has stupid knobs.
The Vortex is lighter. That's all it's got going for it.

Last edited:
Ordered the 3.3-18 and I have a question. I know from reading the turrets are stiff but are they identical to the XTR II? I have an XTR II and holy shit..

Reactions: Earnhardt
Honestly, I'm having a crisis. As an admitted Vortex fanboi, these scopes are REALLY fucking tempting to try out. That 3-18 would be perfect for my MWS and MRP Valk. I could get 2 for about what a Razor costs now.
Same here. However I'm giving one or two of these a try instead of the gen3 razor. Not saying they're better, but it seems like you're getting a ton for your money.

Same here. However I'm giving one or two of these a try instead of the gen3 razor. Not saying they're better, but it seems like you're getting a ton for your money.
My 5.5-30 is in with Burris right now getting the mag loosened up some. The new illuminated 3.3-18 im hoping is everything I hoped the non-illuminated would be, if reticle is bright enough at low mag I would like one, I’m about to do a review of the NX8 2.5-20 (grabbed another copy from a friend) and March 3-24 with FML-TR1h and Schmidt 3-27 (the 3-27 will serve as baseline), be nice to have the illuminated 3.3-18 for comparison similar to what I did a few years ago at the release of the XTR III.

Have mine in hand.

3.3-18

SCR MIL

If you bought this to shoot at the higher mag ranges, I'd day 10x and greater, I think those of you on the fence will be very, very happy.

I don't see the complaints about about a thin reticle. That being said...reticle thickness/thin-ness is so personal. Like all optics decisions.

Going to keep peeking in over the next few days, at various light conditions, but right now...its a keeper.

Have mine in hand.

3.3-18

SCR MIL

If you bought this to shoot at the higher mag ranges, I'd day 10x and greater, I think those of you on the fence will be very, very happy.

I don't see the complaints about about a thin reticle. That being said...reticle thickness/thin-ness is so personal. Like all optics decisions.

Going to keep peeking in over the next few days, at various light conditions, but right now...its a keeper.
The SCR 2 is thinner, no?

No Idea. SCR MIL fits my needs. This will be my crossover shooting/hunting scope until someone offers something better in this price range.

I suppose the Bushnell LRHS 2.0 from GAP is in the category. But I have 2 LRHS 1.0 and an LRTS, so wanted to try something different.

Edit to say...

The SCR MIL - to my eyes - Is NO thinner than the LRTS G3. To my eyes, its exactly the same thickness from 10x on up.

The SCR MIL - to my eyes - is NO thinner than the LRHS G2H stadia lines. Yes, the donut of death is thicker. Yes the far end horizontal and vertical "bulk lines" (no idea what to call them, out on the periphery of the reticle) are much thicker. But the actual center piece of the reticle and the mil marks are the same thickness as the SCR once past 10x.

Hope this helps those who have been hesitant based on the reticle cries.

Last edited:
I just recently got the XTR III SCR-2 3.3-18.
Great scope for this price.
Was just looking at some dear in the front yard comparing it to MK5 HD TMR 3.6-18.

It’s not apples - apples. The TMR is not a tree and it’s .5 mil hashes but they’re clear down to 6 power with my eyes. The SCR 2 is .2 hashes and I’m good to 12 power 10 is a struggle.

I don’t have an XTR II, but turrets on the III are about 2x stiffer than the MK5’s. Feel a little stiffer then Razor G2 so I cant imagine spinning them by accident. I might pull the turrets and see if a little o-ring grease helps.

Eye box is big, FOV excellent, glass is good, but to my eyes MK5 glass is better at least at dusk looking at deer @125 right now. I need to compare them in mirage.

Still haven’t played with Parallax at distance?
Hopefully it’s as forgiving as the MK 5?
I usually just set to the near target & leave it for 90 sec stages.

The reticle is very thin on the SCR-2. That’s really the only thing I’m a little disappointed in. Was hoping for a wider usable power band. You can certainly use it down to min power holding center, but hashes are useless below 10x for me.

I like mid range scopes for <1000y PRS style comps. I’m typically 8x - 12x unless it’s a string starting around 700 to 1000, then I’ll go 12-16. I want the reticle usable at those lower magnifications. I’ll withhold judgement till I’ve tried it in a comp. The excellent field of view may allow me to run + 1 or 2 on magnification.

Is there any successful way to get the mag ring on the xtriii to loosen up a little without sending it back in or buying a throw Lever? Tried cycling it like 50-60 times with a work glove but it's still extremely stiff. It's find without the scope mounted but when mounted it's going to be a bit of a pain it seems

Is there any successful way to get the mag ring on the xtriii to loosen up a little without sending it back in or buying a throw Lever? Tried cycling it like 50-60 times with a work glove but it's still extremely stiff. It's find without the scope mounted but when mounted it's going to be a bit of a pain it seems

I don't think 50-60 is enough.

Where do you live? Will it be warm soon?

If so, place that sucker in the sun. Every 30 min go wrench the mag back and forth. Then back in the sun.

Should you have to do that? Probably not. I think the lever is a good solution, but can understand some who choose not to go that route.

Ever scope has its "thing". It seems that the XTRIII and its tight mag ring and stiff erector may be its thing. That said, it they were looser, someone would be sure to complain that its too loose and too easy to turn and the clicks slip too easily, etc etc.

It’s already here. My daughter’s class was the first one in the school district that didn’t teach spelling. Who needs to do that when there’s autocorrect? Mmmhmm. Let’s just say that the kids are lacking in proficiency in spelling and correct usage and context of some words. Just read here and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

You could be the smartest MFer in the room but if you can’t spell and know the difference on how to use there, their and they’re…
I dont no what your talking a bout

Reactions: D_TROS
Personally I'd just get a throw lever.

I have a variety of scopes with different levels of stiffness in the mag ring, there is virtually no reason I see for not having a throw lever, sure they add a bit of bulk but for both hunting and targets/comp use I find a throw lever to be advantageous.

Ordered the 3.3-18 and I have a question. I know from reading the turrets are stiff but are they identical to the XTR II? I have an XTR II and holy shit..

My XTR3 is "stiffer" than my XTR2...

I have both. The 3 is much stiffer than the 2. I haven’t worked the XTR iii all that much but I suspect it’ll loosen up. If not I’ll get a throw lever.

I have a large order in for these. I don't really like preorders so I upgraded all of my preorders from the XTR III to Pros for a fee. So all of mine are up for grabs and I'll post then in the PX the second I get confirmation from Burris that my order is en route to me from Colorado. Price is going to be MAP shipped. I pay shipping and taxes so that way I can abide by MAP but still give yall a deal.

FYI I got the LHT 4.5-22 to compare. Shot the LHT, G3, and old XTR3 back to back on Sun for a few hours, alternating while barrels cooled. LHT and XTR3 have very comparable glass. G3 is quite a bit better, as stated before. XTR3 has the FOV advantage and thinner reticle over the LHT, but the LHT still had 8+mils FOV @ 22x, and the reticle dot is perhaps a bit less than 1/4" @ 100 yards @ max magnification. CA, resolution, brightness, contrast, all very similar between the 2. Basically, I'd put the LHT glass in the best of the 2K class category along with the XTR3. The unique players in the category remain Burris for FOV and thin SCR2 reticle, and MK5 for glass contrast, but if you want a lightweight optic, don't ignore the LHT. I'm keeping mine, on a carbon short action hunter. Best part, is while both remain at the top of the ~2K class, they are now much closer to ~1K in price.

Reactions: D_TROS and RFutch
I just got the LHT 4.5-22 also. I havn't had it out to the range yet but so far I really like it. Can't wait to compare it to the Burris as well.

I am really liking this scope but I can’t deal with the knurled knobs anymore. The elevation turret is manageable but the zoom ring is too much. I bit the bullet and ordered a throw lever.

I had an LHT but sold it and am sticking with the XTR3 because of the SCR2 reticle (love how thin it is, my young eyes agree with it) and great FOV. Used the XTR3 3-18 on my NRL hunt gun and it tracked perfectly. Had a great time shooting with it in the mason valley match

I had an LHT but sold it and am sticking with the XTR3 because of the SCR2 reticle (love how thin it is, my young eyes agree with it) and great FOV. Used the XTR3 3-18 on my NRL hunt gun and it tracked perfectly. Had a great time shooting with it in the mason valley match

Agree on both but I don't see the LHT as an XTR3 competitor - different animal, just trying to benchmark the glass quality. I still have 2 XTR3 SCR2's and will only sell them to upgrade to Pro's.

I am really liking this scope but I can’t deal with the knurled knobs anymore. The elevation turret is manageable but the zoom ring is too much. I bit the bullet and ordered a throw lever.
Mine is similar, I sent mine back to Burris to see if they can lighten it up a bit, will let you know once I get it back...

Mine is similar, I sent mine back to Burris to see if they can lighten it up a bit, will let you know once I get it back...
I'm interested in hearing how it is when it returns and how long the whole process takes. My mag ring on the 5.5-30 is also extremely stiff. I ended up buying a throw lever, and while it helps, I'm still considering sending it back to Burris for adjustment.

I just got mine a week ago and the mag ring is stiff, and the grip is uncomfortably sharp so i got a throw lever coming. otherwise it is a really nice scope!

The 3.3-18 I ordered is finally shipping. I’ll follow up on how the everything turns.
You're going to love it. I finally got some clean time to hit the range today and sight in my 3.3-18 XTR3 I put on my rimfire.
Clean glass, and love the diet they put the reticle on. Really a clean and easy to navigate picture box.

Reactions: 021411
The 3.3-18 I ordered is finally shipping. I’ll follow up on how the everything turns.
You're going to love it. I finally got some clean time to hit the range today and sight in my 3.3-18 XTR3 I put on my rimfire.
Clean glass, and love the diet they put the reticle on. Really a clean and easy to navigate picture box.
New illum model?

Mine arrived a few minutes ago, I'll mount it later this week. Already picked up a throw lever, there's an ebay seller that has the burris lever for $29.00. Got one for myself and a friend that ordered the 3.3-18 as well.

I have a large order in for these. I don't really like preorders so I upgraded all of my preorders from the XTR III to Pros for a fee. So all of mine are up for grabs and I'll post then in the PX the second I get confirmation from Burris that my order is en route to me from Colorado. Price is going to be MAP shipped. I pay shipping and taxes so that way I can abide by MAP but still give yall a deal.
Do you have a rough idea when the illuminated models will be launching?
I see places starting to advertise pre-orders so they can't be too far off.

Reactions: Chasing3
The 3.3-18x came in finally. Super quick off the cuff initial impressions..

Glass- very nice. Picture is sharp and bright. Colors appear true to my eyes. I need to get to a range soon for a better assessment.

Turret- VERY stiff. Knurling is not for the dainty. The turret easily stops at each tenth. The true test was going from 0 to 0.1. It doesn’t overshoot it. It stops at 0.1 and is positive.
There is very teeny teeny teeny and I mean teeny tiny lash. You won’t notice it “on the clock”.
The turrets sound clicky going up but a little muted going back down.

Zoom ring- firm as hell but smooth. You will need a throw lever for it. Hopefully it’ll break in.

Parallax knob- it’s smooth and not overly firm but there is tension to it.

SCR2 MIL Reticle- very thin. To my eyes it starts to get usable around 11-12x.

That’s it for now.