• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Finally used the 3.3-18 today at the monthly match. It performed very well. The image was clear and crisp. I stayed around 13x the entire match and only backed off to see where the targets were on some stages. The reticle could be a tiny bit thicker but it’s fine the way it is where I kept it.
The eye box was very generous. There were a few stages where I couldn’t get a solid cheek weld but still managed to pull off the shots and connected.
Despite the dialing today the elevation turret still needs to loosen up a whole lot more.

Sounds like I need to save up and get one, I always wish my stuff had more aggressive texture.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I haven't read through this entire thread yet. Sorry if this has been answered already.

Is there a perceptible amount of backlash in the parallax adjustment knob (in the 3.3-18 and the 5.5-30)?
Mine has a bit of slop if you crank it fast back and forth you can feel it. Anyone else? It’s just a tiny bit of play before it hits a wall and starts moving. Seems to work okay but I have minimal rounds on it so far.

Mine has a bit of slop if you crank it fast back and forth you can feel it. Anyone else? It’s just a tiny bit of play before it hits a wall and starts moving. Seems to work okay but I have minimal rounds on it so far.
Mine (5.5-30) was delivered yesterday. Still waiting on rings to show up so I can mount it. But I have run the parallax back and forth many, many times. No backlash. The knob itself does rub on the housing ever so slightly, in some spots.

Edit: I installed a cheater knob, to make it easier to make fine adjustments. But this also provides mechanical advantage, and exaggerates slop (if there is any)....and sure enough, there is the slightest bit of knob movement before it catches (when changing directions). /Edit

Just a follow up to all my previous zero stop questions (in case someone else finds/needs this): The zero stop is disappointing for my application....but my application is not what this scope is marketed toward (something low powered, but trying to stretch it out further than I should, along with some very close range work). There are two pins. One in the housing (fixed position). And one in the elevation knob (also a fixed position). The interference of the pins (only at zero) are what make it a hard stop at zero. As you dial down your elevation (if the knob height is set "correctly"), the two pins contact each other at a hard stop at zero. You can not move this pin-to-pin hard stop to set it at say 2 mils of hold under. But you can raise the knob so that you can dial the knob pin past the housing pin, to some amount of hold under....but there will not be a hard stop of pin-to-pin contact at your hold under number/value. The knob can be set to bottom out on the housing....but it's not exactly a hard stop on the housing....because if you're a gorilla, and you can crank down on the knob, you can grind it into the housing, past your hold under number. It is not my preference to zero at the close range that I want to dial hold under for....but I think I might have to adapt, and do that (if I really want to utilize the pin-to-pin hard stop)....or just hold under, instead of dialing it.

scope tube.jpg

elevation knob.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it really just jams the turret cap into the housing. This is an exposed area, so if there's any dirt there, and there will be, the "stop" also grinds to a halt. Also, mine had to be set something like 2 MRAD under other wise the turret cap wouldn't clear the ZS pin and would stop when trying to dial back to zero. This is another let down in my XTR3 experience.

Shitty turrets/zero stop aside, where these illuminated models at?
Some places are showing pre-order available other distributors haven't even heard about the XTR3i.

I need a illuminated 3.3-18 in my life.

Reactions: Chasing3
It’s been quiet on the XTR3i’s debut. I guess Burris could opt not to do much marketing on it since the illumination is the only feature being added. That said, I am worried this is more of a sign that it’s not close to being available for the public. With release of the original XTR3 and Pro, Burris folks were providing pictures, reviews and updates. Burris was dropping hints and videos on FB/instagram leading to the release. The XTR3i news has been almost non-existent. Last I heard it was supposed to be available end of 1st quarter/start of 2nd quarter 2022. Anyone hear different?

It’s been quiet on the XTR3i’s debut. I guess Burris could opt not to do much marketing on it since the illumination is the only feature being added. That said, I am worried this is more of a sign that it’s not close to being available for the public. With release of the original XTR3 and Pro, Burris folks were providing pictures, reviews and updates. Burris was dropping hints and videos on FB/instagram leading to the release. The XTR3i news has been almost non-existent. Last I heard it was supposed to be available end of 1st quarter/start of 2nd quarter 2022. Anyone hear different?
Still showing pre order at camera land. I'm not really excited for a burris version of a PST. It definitely hits a certain market but just doesn't interest me. Maybe they are planning to expand the pro line for the new top tier? That would be cool.

With release of the original XTR3 and Pro, Burris folks were providing pictures, reviews and updates. Burris was dropping hints and videos on FB/instagram leading to the release.
And then everyone bitched because made up timelines were missed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Nah, people are disappointed a product that has been teased for several years still is not ready. It's more a reflection of Burris than bitchy people.

Still showing pre order at camera land. I'm not really excited for a burris version of a PST. It definitely hits a certain market but just doesn't interest me. Maybe they are planning to expand the pro line for the new top tier? That would be cool.
As Birddog has pointed out the XTR2 has always been made in the Philippines and has been a solid performer in all aspects other than let down by glass.

If the XTR3i keeps the same glass and is built to a high standard there's no reason it won't perform every bit as well as the US made version.

Reactions: Chasing3
Maybe, maybe not. Any item can be made to certain standards if the manufacturer and consumer is willing to pay. A scope made in the Philippines targeting 1100msrp or so will not be in the same category as the USA made one that was 1800 upon release. There will be concessions outside of labor costs most likely.

Maybe, maybe not. Any item can be made to certain standards if the manufacturer and consumer is willing to pay. A scope made in the Philippines targeting 1100msrp or so will not be in the same category as the USA made one that was 1800 upon release. There will be concessions outside of labor costs.
Do you work for Burris?

So... you don't know.
Just like the rest of us. Until we get these in our hands, this is just a guessing game.

I shot my American made 3.3-18 again today, and I'm really loving it for nrl22. Great scope!
Nope, don’t know jack. I love the 3.3-18 I got from CL for the price. I’m always willing to pay a little more to keep things in the USA. Just a little disappointed I guess.

Reactions: Big Timber
Maybe, maybe not. Any item can be made to certain standards if the manufacturer and consumer is willing to pay. A scope made in the Philippines targeting 1100msrp or so will not be in the same category as the USA made one that was 1800 upon release. There will be concessions outside of labor costs most likely.
Yes but the XTR2 has been made in the Philippines and by all accounts is a well built scope and give very very few issues.

I get that people like to support their own countries manufacturing but the reality is many Asian countries are just as capable of producing high quality goods as any western country.

not trying to instigate, or pour fuel on the fire....I'm very new to shooting....but on page 2 of this thread, there's a couple posts that mention illuminated will be available. One post from 2018 says it will be available in 2019.
People confuse sponsored shooters with some inside knowledge and employees with actual inside knowledge.

People confuse sponsored shooters with some inside knowledge and employees with actual inside knowledge.
To be fair you could very much say they are influences rather than just sponsored shooters.

Posts like the ones on this forum are more like adverts designed to get people interested rather than just a rumor mill.
The information has come from Burris and been allowed to be shared in an attempt to brew interest.

Just my 2 cents, at the end of the day they'll be released when they are ready and people will bitch and moan regardless of what happens.
Previously I've held my breath everytime and updated came but I've more than learnt my lesson.

Buy or do not buy. Resell if don't like. I like info for making decisions, but there's a point where Yoda has to take over. If it's that large of a purchase, then it's a poor financial decision. Otherwise, I'd have to ask how difficult it must be to buy a refrigerator, tv, car, or house... or is it just a mental masturbation ritual.

I hope I didn't piss in anyone's corn flakes.

I only posted about the pins/hard zero stop, in case someone else is putting one of these on an air rifle, and they're thinking they'll be able to zero at 50, and dial .5 mil of hold under for 25 to 48....and still be able to use the hard stop. (I figured out how I will be able to adapt/change my zeroing preferences to work with how the scope/turret/stop pin is designed....but it would be nice if one of the pins was somehow adjustable).

I only posted about the illumination because when I first heard about this scope (and stumbled upon this thread) less than a month ago....reading the thread for the first time, I was left with the impression that illumination was already available for years (the thread started in 2018)....until I went looking for one, and figured out they hadn't been released yet.

I asked all my questions because I (personally) need to manage my expectations. If I don't, then I default to having very high, unrealistic expectations, and everything always ends up being a huge disappointment. It sucks being a perfectionist, and an aerospace manufacturing engineer....where the stuff I make is, for the most part, held to perfectionist's tolerances. Thanks to all that did try to help me.

A good friend and I flew down to Grand Junction for the Koenig-Ruger match on the weekend. Had a great time. My first Pro Series match with the XTR Pro went off without a hitch. I got some guys on the glass who were pretty impressed.

We ended up staying an extra day so we could drive up to Greeley and tour the Burris plant, which was super cool. I'll post up about that with pics and video on the XTR Pro thread.

But while I was at the Burris main office I was able to get my hands on a 30x illuminated XTRIII. And I'm really liking what I see!

Took it out today on my 300 Norma mag alongside another 30x XTRIII and my Pro. It gives up absolutely nothing to my XTRIII that I've been competing with for 3 years. I think they've improved the feel of the turret and magnification ring. They're smoother, less stiff out of the box. They still need to tone down the knurling some more. This initial run was actually rejected by Burris until they soften it up. So some of these are sitting in Greeley waiting for a few parts to be swapped out. But I played with both some 18x and 30x versions, and all of them were very nice turret and magnification rings.

The reticle definitely looks darker than the non illuminated SCR2. Just like with the Pro, it's not a stark contrast, but it's there, and it's noticeable.

First impressions, I think they did a great job. If this is the quality of the optics they are going to be sending us, folks are going to love the value of this optic. It's going to be very hard to beat at <$1500.

Ugh.. just watched the turret video and I need mine like that. That’s how it should be out of the US assembly line.
It's an evolution of the optic.

Moving the manufacturing location was an opportunity to address the issues such as ring and turret stiffness and a less agressive knurling. My main XTR3 feels like this turret now, but was super stiff out of the box. Later versions were toned down a bit on that stiffness, but they weren't as tactile as my original. The turret on this optic strikes a very smooth balance right out of the box.

Here's my original video on my first XTRIII. You can tell they are incredibly tactile, but it was Hella stiff at first till it broke in. This is my favorite scope of the 4 non-illuminated XTRIIIs that I own.

Reactions: 021411
A good friend and I flew down to Grand Junction for the Koenig-Ruger match on the weekend. Had a great time. My first Pro Series match with the XTR Pro went off without a hitch. I got some guys on the glass who were pretty impressed.

We ended up staying an extra day so we could drive up to Greeley and tour the Burris plant, which was super cool. I'll post up about that with pics and video on the XTR Pro thread.

But while I was at the Burris main office I was able to get my hands on a 30x illuminated XTRIII. And I'm really liking what I see!

Took it out today on my 300 Norma mag alongside another 30x XTRIII and my Pro. It gives up absolutely nothing to my XTRIII that I've been competing with for 3 years. I think they've improved the feel of the turret and magnification ring. They're smoother, less stiff out of the box. They still need to tone down the knurling some more. This initial run was actually rejected by Burris until they soften it up. So some of these are sitting in Greeley waiting for a few parts to be swapped out. But I played with both some 18x and 30x versions, and all of them were very nice turret and magnification rings.

The reticle definitely looks darker than the non illuminated SCR2. Just like with the Pro, it's not a stark contrast, but it's there, and it's noticeable.

First impressions, I think they did a great job. If this is the quality of the optics they are going to be sending us, folks are going to love the value of this optic. It's going to be very hard to beat.
If I don't have soft office workers hands can I order a scope as is?

More than happy to accept a 20% discount to take them a few off Burris hands to ease their work load.

• Haha
Reactions: Birddog6424
If I don't have soft office workers hands can I order a scope as is?

More than happy to accept a 20% discount to take them a few off Burris hands to ease their work load.
Haha, it's actually just like the non illuminated XTRIII every where except for the parallax ring. Zoom in on that pic and get a load of the points on that bad boy..

But it's an easy fix..they'll get it squared away pretty quick.

• Love
Reactions: beetroot
Holy shit I fixed the turret. Shot a match today and was damn I REALLY need to send it in. Got home and was F it. Let me take the turret cap off and take a look. I noticed that there was hard dried gray crap stuck to the part that turns. Almost like dried gum. I took out a metal pick and cleaned it all up. Inside of the cap itself had it as well. Cleaned it all up and put some silicone grease on the o-ring. Take a look for yourself.

Holy shit I fixed the turret. Shot a match today and was damn I REALLY need to send it in. Got home and was F it. Let me take the turret cap off and take a look. I noticed that there was hard dried gray crap stuck to the part that turns. Almost like dried gum. I took out a metal pick and cleaned it all up. Inside of the cap itself had it as well. Cleaned it all up and put some silicone grease on the o-ring. Take a look for yourself.

Yeah, it's pipe dope. (I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night but that's what it smells like, feels like, and has the same consistency of)
A couple of my Burris scopes don't have it. A couple of the later ones do have it. Most recently, I picked up an XTRIII from another cat on SH in the PX and noticed it for the first time. Asked him about it, he asked Burris.
I've already yelled at Phil about it. There are 100 other materials they can use for lubrication and waterproofing than what they are using now. Why they use (what looks, smells, and feels like) pipe dope is beyond me.
(I'm not a scope manufacturing expert but more than a couple of my rifles wear Burris optics and this is a horrible choice in practicality and real world. Particularly in cold climates)

1650156518820.png

1650156544664.png

1650156572811.png

1650156611578.png

Yeah, it's pipe dope. (I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night but that's what it smells like, feels like, and has the same consistency of)
A couple of my Burris scopes don't have it. A couple of the later ones do have it. Most recently, I picked up an XTRIII from another cat on SH in the PX and noticed it for the first time. Asked him about it, he asked Burris.
I've already yelled at Phil about it. There are 100 other materials they can use for lubrication and waterproofing than what they are using now. Why they use (what looks, smells, and feels like) pipe dope is beyond me.
(I'm not a scope manufacturing expert but more than a couple of my rifles wear Burris optics and this is a horrible choice in practicality and real world. Particularly in cold climates)

View attachment 7851136

View attachment 7851138

View attachment 7851142

View attachment 7851143
Yup exactly what I had but it was almost hardened. Night and day difference.

Maybe Burris has been using RTV on the O-Rings rather than grease.

Hopefully the build quality will improve once they move manufacturing to the Philippines...

987984E3-CBC5-465C-AC13-EEB988B6365E.jpeg

Using MDof2’s picture, the hardened crap was almost wedged in the tiny gap that is circled. It was also under the cap as well and the o-ring was bone dry. I had to pick it out.

View attachment 7851149
Using MDof2’s picture, the hardened crap was almost wedged in the tiny gap that is circled. It was also under the cap as well and the o-ring was bone dry. I had to pick it out.
You think that stuff is under the mag ring as well? Would explain all the very stiff mag rings

I just cleaned mine. Barely any in there but getting it out had already improved the feel. Most of mine was where the set screws contact the inner turret.

I just cleaned mine. Barely any in there but getting it out had already improved the feel. Most of mine was where the set screws contact the inner turret.
That seemed to be where the bulk of mine is as well. It's as though they're using that as a thread sealant for the turret caps. It's on both my windage / elevation turrets. By the feel of the mag ring, my guess is it didn't make it in there.

Interesting. I pulled off all 4 of my caps, its visible in two of them, but not as much as what is in those pics.

I wonder why the use is intermittent. Or if they sometimes get too much.

I’ve been looking at the 5.5-30 at camera land .
I have a Bushnell ERS will I see a good upgrade in glass?
I know the Bushnell tracks perfectly how is the track record on these?

I have yet to come across a Burris that didn't track.
Can't compare it to the Bush as I've not viewed them side by side.

Reactions: Bryan W M
Just popped mine off. This scope hasn’t been zeroed yet and turrets have not been worked that much.

Attachments

• CED9FBA8-73AF-44C8-9A5E-C7EC4EC8F468.jpeg
    CED9FBA8-73AF-44C8-9A5E-C7EC4EC8F468.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 9ECC4A9B-746F-4D53-8759-E3974014851F.jpeg
    9ECC4A9B-746F-4D53-8759-E3974014851F.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ADF6C54E-47DF-42BC-985B-6CC92E76E607.jpeg
    ADF6C54E-47DF-42BC-985B-6CC92E76E607.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 121
I spun this piss out of it and there is definitely a part of the rotation where it is noticeably harder. Again scope has basically been mounted and that’s pretty much it. I think today was the first time I rotated anything other than mag. and para. I just did it again. From zero stop around 5.7mils spinning through to next revolution at 3 mils is my stiff range 7-8 is where she really bogs down. And it’s the same on every rotation up and down. Just ran it probably ten times each way. Just spun windage for first time. Stiffer than elevation but spinning to max R and back to max L. Left is definitely harder