• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

It's my understanding this is how they come, a poster on another thread said the size is the same width as scotch tape so people can wrap it with tape and write their own solutions based on the targets for any given comp.

That's correct. It will come in the white as pictured with mil markings. The white section is exactly the same width as scotch tape so you can protect your marks if you choose. And in a very inspired feature, there is a fine line in the white section that runs vertically, giving you a slight detent to run your knife point and cleanly cut and remove the scotch tape.

The knobs themselves are slightly larger than the XTR II knobs. And I personally really like the new knurling. BigJimFish called them meatgrinders, but I train my hands just so I can turn my turret knobs...

BigJimFish called them meatgrinders, but I train my hands just so I can turn my turret knobs...

I saw that too from Big Jim and it made me chuckle, to be honest, living in a state that gets cold in winter time I've come to appreciate turrets that have a bit more grip when wearing gloves. I suppose if I turned the turrets with the backs of my hands they might grind a bit, but my index finger and thumb are pretty tough and don't envision any grinding even when turning quick.

Your martial arts video made me think of my buddy Victor Marx, I've taken a few of his self defense courses and really like him as a person, he has a ministry now where he takes some ex-military guys into Iraq and some other dark places and rescues kids, really amazing what he and his team do.

The more I look at this scope, the more I want to fondle one and maybe buy one for my NRL22 rifle. The worst part about shopping and they way media hypes things up these days is starting to want something that isn't available yet. I hate that!

The more I look at this scope, the more I want to fondle one and maybe buy one for my NRL22 rifle. The worst part about shopping and they way media hypes things up these days is starting to want something that isn't available yet. I hate that!

Agreed. You will have to wait in line as there are a lot of people who are excited about this scope.

Even if it's not publicly available, I hope a decent review will be out soon, hopefully side by side with competing scopes like Gen 2 Razor and Mark 5HD.

Msrp I’m told is over $2k
Xtr2 3-15 I have allows me to make easy hits at 800-1100 with a 20” 308. What do I know I only learned to shoot to 1000 with a fixed 10, actually using a mil reticle.

What’s the release date on these? Anyone know yet?

They are already out. Production started in December. There were scopes for sale at Shot.

Not sure who got some out of the first batch. But there should be some for sale very soon.

They are already out. Production started in December. There were scopes for sale at Shot.

Not sure who got some out of the first batch. But there should be some for sale very soon.

Oooooooooooooo, I'll be very impatiently awaiting a review!

We need a reticle pic Dorgan!!

As best as I can tell searching the interwebs, this is the SCR2 Mil reticle. It at least resembles the thumbnail in the Burris 2019 catalog.

Burris-SCR2-Mil-reticle.jpg

Reactions: jafo96
close but a few changes. i didnt like the numbers going back and forth so for a smoother look just having the even numbers on both sides. then some crosses added above the horizontal for hold under stages.

i really really like the small center cross. very small and very precise. ?

Regards
DT

Reactions: SageRatSafaris

I haven’t seen any retailers with them yet. Waiting on some reviews as well. Interested in the 3-18x50

I’m really excited about these. I’ve owned 3 of the 5-25 XTRII’s and they are pretty nice for the cost. I became a scope snob as well... but I may give one of the new models a go. I never really liked how hard it was to rotate the turrets. Call me a wuss but it seemed they were very stiff. Anxious to get one of these in my hands!

close but a few changes. i didnt like the numbers going back and forth so for a smoother look just having the even numbers on both sides. then some crosses added above the horizontal for hold under stages.

i really really like the small center cross. very small and very precise. ?

Regards
DT

Link to a better reticle diagram?

I apologize if this has been asked already, and the question might be premature, but has anyone had the chance to compare the XTRIII and Mark 5HD side-by-side?

Thanks in advance.

Had a little time with the 5.5-30 XTR3. Super impressed so far. the retc is the best ive ever used. maybe im biased haha. Its super thin but when doing fast stages holding over under from 200-500, my only misses were when I forgot to hold under (2x out of 100) so I was happy there. I shot past dusk and was still able to see targets no prob. I wish I brought my Minox or March to compare. I think the Minox is getting sold. This scope obviously doenst have the glass Minox has, but all the other features, including FOV, is quickly making me forget this XTR3 is the inferior scope...

I did compare the 3.3-18 XTR3 (before I had to return it) to my Luppy mk6. The Burris was noticeably better in FOV and brightness which I thought was odd as I liked the Mk6 line (just not their prices) I think the Mk6 is a better scope than the Mk5 when Ive looked through them together.

Again these are not production scopes so I will wait to do an official side by side but I am really excited. Burris has came out in a huge way with this scope.

I get some better through the scope pics when my phone scope arrives...

DT

Attachments

• XTR3 1.jpg
    XTR3 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
  • XTR3 2.jpg
    XTR3 2.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
^^^ I think you meant the 5.5-30x56, but probably easy to confuse with others because the FOV is better than some 5x scopes. I bet if you looked through your March vs. the Burris you would think you're looking through a straw with the March, love that little scope for what it is but it does have a pretty narrow FOV throughout the range.

I’m sold, love the field of view and new reticle. The XTR3 will be my next scope. Just wonder when they will be available?

Msrp I’m told is over $2k
:oops:

Gonna have to bare almost zero resemblance to the XTR2 to have any interest from me. I still believe the XTR2 5-25 and T5Xi 5-25 have some of the worst glass in their respective price ranges, and both are made by the same company that is making the XTR3. So they're going to have to be leaps and bounds above what they've shown before to be a decent value at the $2k+ mark.

Reactions: snarkscarbine
:oops:

Gonna have to bare almost zero resemblance to the XTR2 to have any interest from me. I still believe the XTR2 5-25 and T5Xi 5-25 have some of the worst glass in their respective price ranges, and both are made by the same company that is making the XTR3. So they're going to have to be leaps and bounds above what they've shown before to be a decent value at the $2k+ mark.

:oops:.....:love::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Yea, we get it, you don't like Burris. No, one gives a flying fuck what you think the MSRP should be.

:oops:.....:love::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Yea, we get it, you don't like Burris. No, one gives a flying fuck what you think the MSRP should be.
It's not that I don't like Burris. I hope the XTR3 is great. I think in the past, they've offered a poor value. And if the MSRP is that high, they should have named this something other than an XTR because it'll have to be completely different than the current XTR lineup to make any sense at that price point.

I see that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...

It's not that I don't like Burris. I hope the XTR3 is great. I think in the past, they've offered a poor value. And if the MSRP is that high, they should have named this something other than an XTR because it'll have to be completely different than the current XTR lineup to make any sense at that price point

Totally agree. The xtr3 should have not kept the XTR model designation. Its wildly different in feel and at the least the pre-production model at SHOT had significantly better glass side by side to the XTR2.

Reactions: patriot07
Honestly, I am fine with the XTR 3 designation.

Companies do this all the time. Leupold Mark 8 is a much better scopes than Mark 4 or Mark AR, for example.

It is perfectly reasonable to delineate quality levels via numerical designation.

XTR 2 is a perfectly reasonable scope. Not all of them are equally good in my opinion. I really like 1-8x24 and 2-10x42, for example. 4-20x50 also matured quite nicely after a rocky start. I did not like the 3-15x50 and 5-25x50 a whole lot, but they were all extremely robust mechanically which I ahve a lot of appreciation for. If I could get them to put a small tree reticle into XTR 2 2-10x42, I would be overjoyed.

XTR 3 should be a much better scope optically. If the prototypes I saw are representative of the production scopes, XTR 3 basically makes Steiner T5Xi obsolete, so it will be interesting to see how Steiner will address this.

I also wonder if the SCR2 reticle will propagate through the rest of their product lines.

ILya

...but If the prototypes I saw are representative of the production scopes, XTR 3 basically makes Steiner T5Xi obsolete, so it will be interesting to see how Steiner will address this.
ILya
I have pondered the same thing, how will the market react to the T5Xi if the XTR III is “that good”. Another interesting situation is the SCR was introduced with the T5Xi and propogated to the XTR II, now the SCR2 begins with the XTR III.

Honestly, I am fine with the XTR 3 designation.

Companies do this all the time. Leupold Mark 8 is a much better scopes than Mark 4 or Mark AR, for example.

It is perfectly reasonable to delineate quality levels via numerical designation.

XTR 2 is a perfectly reasonable scope. Not all of them are equally good in my opinion. I really like 1-8x24 and 2-10x42, for example. 4-20x50 also matured quite nicely after a rocky start. I did not like the 3-15x50 and 5-25x50 a whole lot, but they were all extremely robust mechanically which I ahve a lot of appreciation for. If I could get them to put a small tree reticle into XTR 2 2-10x42, I would be overjoyed.

XTR 3 should be a much better scope optically. If the prototypes I saw are representative of the production scopes, XTR 3 basically makes Steiner T5Xi obsolete, so it will be interesting to see how Steiner will address this.

I also wonder if the SCR2 reticle will propagate through the rest of their product lines.

ILya
I had wondered if the XTR3 would overlap the T5Xi. I agree it will be interesting to see what happens with that line. Maybe a T6Xi that tops the XTR3? Who knows...

It's not that I don't like Burris. I hope the XTR3 is great. I think in the past, they've offered a poor value. And if the MSRP is that high, they should have named this something other than an XTR because it'll have to be completely different than the current XTR lineup to make any sense at that price point.

I see that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...

I understand you dont like the scope, and you're entitled to your opinion just like every other poster. And I respect that.

But the undeniable truth of the matter is that the XTR II has been an incredibly successful scope line for Burris. And the very large majority of people who own the scope really like it. Even here on the Hide its won over a lot of people. None of that happens with a crap scope with the worst glass in its price point.

Put a post up on Facebook about it and you will see the rank and file shooters come out of the woodwork in support of it. People love it and feel like they got good value.

I understand you dont like the scope, and you're entitled to your opinion just like every other poster. And I respect that.

But the undeniable truth of the matter is that the XTR II has been an incredibly successful scope line for Burris. And the very large majority of people who own the scope really like it. Even here on the Hide its won over a lot of people. None of that happens with a crap scope with the worst glass in its price point.

Put a post up on Facebook about it and you will see the rank and file shooters come out of the woodwork in support of it. People love it and feel like they got good value.
Like Ilya said, it's mechanics have proven to be very reliable, and that along with good turrets and good reticles is a recipe for success.

I'm not going to say anything else negative about them. I shouldn't have posted what I did. I hope you guys have good luck with the XTR3, and you're right that the XTR2 has been very successful even in spite of a few folks like me who have issues with it.

I do appreciate the respectful disagreement. If the XTR3 is as good as everyone is saying it is, maybe I'll own one down the road.

...and you're right that the XTR2 has been very successful even in spite of a few folks like me who have issues with it.

I was one who was pretty disappointed in the XTR II 4-20x50 as my copy had optical aberrations; however, I purchased another last year after recommendations from the Hide (mostly birddog) who encouraged me to give it another shot as they had made improvements. The newer copy showed marked improvement over the older, sometimes it's luck of the draw and sometimes manufacturer's sneak in "fixes" without saying anything. I too am wary to consider being an early adopter with the XTR III, but I'm still excited to see it release and for them to do well against the current competition. If the XTR III comes out of the gates performing very well optically and mechanically, it should be a very popular addition for many shooters, even those who might have not had the greatest experience with the XTR II.

I have a couple XTR2's and like them a lot. I'm sure the XTR3 will be way better than the XTR2. I've gotta say, they darn well better be if the prices I see at Sportoptics.com are accurate.

XTR2 3-15 with rings $892
XTR3 3-18 no rings $1,750

Will the XTR2 line be discontinued? Sorry if that's already been asked.

I have a couple XTR2's and like them a lot. I'm sure the XTR3 will be way better than the XTR2. I've gotta say, they darn well better be if the prices I see at Sportoptics.com are accurate.

XTR2 3-15 with rings $892
XTR3 3-18 no rings $1,750

Will the XTR2 line be discontinued? Sorry if that's already been asked.

Street prices should come down a bit after initial launch, but the XTR III is not a replacement to the XTR II, it is a new line of scopes by Burris that are higher quality hence the price increase. If I understood Burris correctly, the XTR II line will continue alongside the XTR III.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Street prices should come down a bit after initial launch, but the XTR III is not a replacement to the XTR II, it is a new line of scopes by Burris that are higher quality hence the price increase. If I understood Burris correctly, the XTR II line will continue alongside the XTR III.

That's correct.

Eventually you will see the SCR2 reticle in the XTR II is my understanding.

Reactions: PBWalsh
SCR in the 2-10??

I dont know the answer to that. In the past I believe they left the mil version out of that optic due to that reticle being too fine at the lower magnification. I think it's currently available in MoA.

But never say never. If the demand is there...

Reactions: PBWalsh
Got a few more rounds down range on the 5.5-30x56 XTR3. So far so good. The eye box is really forgiving and easy to get behind. In the words of our Pres, ITS HUUUGE. The glass is good. Not great but really good. At 30x on snow there is some slight color fringing. Really have to look for it. Unnoticeable at lower mag. Much much better than my XTR2 which I thought was good (the 2 is easily best bang for the buck right now). I wont compare the glass to other scopes right now but I am impressed.

The FOV is very noticeable when switching from other scopes back to this one. The pic below is a target rack at 550 yards and scope at 15x IIRC.
(my PHONE SKOPE is in the mail. pretty excited. its pretty tuff getting quality pics holding a phone with hand)

As mentioned, the clicks are like nothing else Burris makes. Very...ummm clicky lol. No mush at all. Like a clunk. Which is nice. And the oscillating clicks on the turret are still one of my favorite features. MAkes dialing that much quicker.

And last the retc is very nice. Not obstructing at all. The center area around the tiny cen cross is very open and the cross makes for some precise holds.

LS BLUE.JPG

This Thursday Im leaving for Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge presented by Beretta USA .
From their website:

The Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge is a 3-day, ruck-style sniper match that will test the fitness, marksmanship, and determination of sixty 2-man sniper teams in 3 different divisions. It is the most realistic sniper match in the country. The stages will be divided into two categories. Roughly half the stages will be based on historical engagements from conflicts around the world or law enforcement engagements around the US. The other half will require the teams to successfully demonstrate the skills necessary to complete the curriculum of the toughest sniper schools in the nation.

1 team
2 members
3 days
4 guns
12 stages
30 miles

My partner and I will be doing the LRRP division which has to sleep ea night on site at the range as well as carry all our gear/food/sleeping/clothes for three days. Going to be fun. I was really hoping my gear 100% including weapons would be under 50 lbs. Ha. Nope. At 61 lbs as shown in the pic with everything. We were anticipating colder weather, but right now the forcast has it at 80* and humid. FML. Just perfect for some long rucks. We "only" have to avg 17 min miles so we should be good...ha.

Will let you all know how the scope performs.

Regards
DT

Attachments

• RS BLUE.JPG
    RS BLUE.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 15X IMAGE.jpg
    15X IMAGE.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 280
  • STUFF GA.jpg
    STUFF GA.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 261
  • PACKED GA.jpg
    PACKED GA.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
How forgiving is the eye box at higher magnification? My Zeiss gets pretty picky and it frustrates me.

Got a few more rounds down range on the 5.5-30x56 XTR3. So far so good. The eye box is really forgiving and easy to get behind. In the words of our Pres, ITS HUUUGE. The glass is good. Not great but really good. At 30x on snow there is some slight color fringing. Really have to look for it. Unnoticeable at lower mag. Much much better than my XTR2 which I thought was good (the 2 is easily best bang for the buck right now). I wont compare the glass to other scopes right now but I am impressed.

The FOV is very noticeable when switching from other scopes back to this one. The pic below is a target rack at 550 yards and scope at 15x IIRC.

As mentioned, the clicks are like nothing else Burris makes. Very...ummm clicky lol. No mush at all. Like a clunk. Which is nice. And the oscillating clicks on the turret are still one of my favorite features. MAkes dialing that much quicker.

And last the retc is very nice. Not obstructing at all. The center area around the tiny cen cross is very open and the cross makes for some precise holds.

View attachment 7027533

This Thursday Im leaving for Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge presented by Beretta USA .
From their website:

The Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge is a 3-day, ruck-style sniper match that will test the fitness, marksmanship, and determination of sixty 2-man sniper teams in 3 different divisions. It is the most realistic sniper match in the country. The stages will be divided into two categories. Roughly half the stages will be based on historical engagements from conflicts around the world or law enforcement engagements around the US. The other half will require the teams to successfully demonstrate the skills necessary to complete the curriculum of the toughest sniper schools in the nation.

1 team
2 members
3 days
4 guns
12 stages
30 miles

My partner and I will be doing the LRRP division which has to sleep ea night on site at the range as well as carry all our gear/food/sleeping/clothes for three days. Going to be fun. I was really hoping my gear 100% including weapons would be under 50 lbs. Ha. Nope. At 61 lbs as shown in the pic with everything. We were anticipating colder weather, but right now the forcast has it at 80* and humid. FML. Just perfect for some long rucks. We "only" have to avg 17 min miles so we should be good...ha.

Will let you all know how the scope performs.

Regards
DT

Best of luck!

my apologies if this question has already been asked in this thread.
are there any commonalities between the XTR2 1-8 and the XTR3?
I believe the 1-8 is the oddball out of the XTR2 line that is made by LOW, and the whole XTR3 line is made there (to Burris' specs of course)

my apologies if this question has already been asked in this thread.
are there any commonalities between the XTR2 1-8 and the XTR3?
I believe the 1-8 is the oddball out of the XTR2 line that is made by LOW, and the whole XTR3 line is made there (to Burris' specs of course)

Isn’t the xtr3 made in Colorado?

Is the XTR3 more Japanado or Phillirado as far as internals? :p

The mechanics are made in the US, mostly right there in Greely by Burris. Optical components come from Japan, I think. I do not know if anything in that scope comes from the Phillipines.

To be honest with you, it would not bother me one bit if something did. XTR 2 is an impressively robust scope. I think they wanted XTR 3 to be as close to "made in US" as they reasonably could and that means optics come from Japan and everything else comes from US.

ILya

Loving the eye box chat.
My pet hate on the Ares BTR is the eye box at top magnification.

Can't wait for these to hit the shelves as there are some serious choices in the mid-price range now.

I was looking around some scope offerings and I am curious if anyone has done a side-by-side test with the XTR3 3.3-18 and the LRTS/LRHS 4.5-18 scopes. Now I know prices isnt exactly the same...But how do they compare? Do they compare? What are your thoughts?

MSRPs of $2039 for the 3.3-18x50mm & $2159 for the 5.5-30x56.
That's disappointing, I was seriously considering this for my production legal setup.

Last edited:
I think the vendor prices for the 3.3-18x50mm is going to be around $1,599. I could be wrong but I did call around to some vendors and that is the ball park numbers they gave me for pre-order. However, maybe things have changed.