• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    :eek::p:love::giggle:

Wow its been a crazy year. I went from being a scope snob

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/scope-snob-in-remission.6877345/

to selling everything and buying 2 new XTR2's with H59. This whole year as been fun competing with a scope that tracks phenomenal (what I rank #1 on the scope wish list) that happens to have the wurst glass in the world that you cant see the side of a barn with (what snipers hide ranks #1 on scope wish list) BUT to my great happiness, Burris has really stepped up and answered the call (admittingly I don't like the name just going up to "3" but I don't get to make any decisions regarding sweet names.. my model choice of "BASMF" got rejected...

XTR3 - TOP.JPG

After a fantastic year of shooting, I was recently approached to spearhead the release of Burris new XTR3 at this years PRS finale.
    Simple answer, if it tracks as good as the XTR2 I am in 100%. Now, the scope has landed. 3.3-18x50 and another scope with larger Mag range scope that hasn't been determined the zoom zoom yet but will be around 5-30 ish. They should be at shot and I have no idea on release dates. Im not an employee of Burris. Im now just a fanboy :LOL:
    My day job is construction and my family lets me shoot like a ninja on the weekends ha...

Features on the 3.3-18
    -Substantially Better Glass YAY!!
    -Actually don't know how to explain this, but when looking through the scope, the scope almost disappears, ie the scope "shadow/ring" is very thin. Very cool feature I think.
    -10 mil knobs (thank you for not going to 24 thousand clicks per rev. so annoying to clutter the clicks up.
    -20 yard parallax
    -adjustable zero stop
    -locking diopertererer thingy lol
    -Larger knobs easier to grab and rotate and SEE...(and also write on!!)
    -KNOBS way more tactile than xtr. reminds me of NF or Gen2 rzr.
    -oscillating hash marks (ticks) on knob
    -set screws on back of elevation knob so you can actually see to get the allen wrench in to re=zero knob. huge pet peeve of mine lol.
    -New SCR TREE rect. hashtag2yrslatetotheparty
    -LArgest FOV in class- this number actually surprised me roughly 15' more fov at low power is crazy...FOV has become one of my favorite features in scopes in the last few years, so when Burris told me 40' I didn't believe them...until I looked through the scope. VERY noticeable.
    some numbers
    XTR3 = 40.3'-6.6''
    XTR2 4-20 = 25.8' - 5.4'
    USO 3-17 = 25.25' - 8.03'
    Kahles 3-18 = 27.8" - 5.5'
    Bushy LRHS 4.5-18 = 23.5' - 6'
    Bushy DMR 3-21 = 25.3' - 5.1'
    SWFA 3-15 = 34.78' - 7.21'
    SWFA 5-20 = 20.1' - 5.1'
    Leuppy MArk 5 3-18 = 28.3' - 5.8'
    Steiner 3-15 = 36.0' - 7.3' (was surprised to see this as high as it is, but I guess it makes sense...)

SO, I will be shooting it this weekend at the PRS Finale. Come check it out. I am very excited to check out how sensitive the parallax knob is. My other high end scopes like S&B and Minox and Henny etc are kind of set the parallax in the middle and forget it. I hope this is like that. I ran my XTR2 at 400-500 yards almost exclusively. I hope this one isn't sensitive.

Ill give a better review after I put 300 rounds on it this week and at the Finale.

XTR3 - LS.jpg

As more than a few have mentioned, it is a VERY good time to be a scope consumer!

Regards,
    DT

Attachments

• XTR3 - BACK.jpg
      XTR3 - BACK.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 745
    Last edited:
    Damn that looks very similar to the Mk5 , I like it and am anxious to hear your opinions on it.
    Maybe to early but any idea what street prices will be ?

I love the way the graduations look but... I wish that the whole mils were the lowest points and not the .2 and.8 dashes either side. Im sure I wold get used to it (training solves all problems) but as it stands I have to think about it.
    1543357970787.png

So thats my one pulled out of my ass critique.

Sweet! I’ve always liked those 3-18ish mag range scopes. Hopefully they’ll have addressed the CA issues from the XTR2’s. That was really the only thing that bugged me about those.

Reactions: MonkTx
    Gahhhj exciting hassle them for release dates!!! Im not in a rush to buy a scope yet but this just jumped to number 1 im literally going to call beretta australia and harass them now.!

Can i tack on afew question?

Why is this scope in the 18x and the next going straight to 30x max?

Glass way better when compared to your xtr2?

About xtr2. Is the reason you.went 4 to 20 just the horus reticle?

Good luck i will be following this!!

Reactions: Bender
    Wish I could like this 10 times!!! Was about to pull the trigger on another scope, but wanted to wait for Burris to upgrade the now long in the tooth XTR2... Woohoo!

Perfect scope if glass is even a little better than the xtr2. Can't wait to order.... @Birddog6424 how can I get a pre-order in?

I'm like Dorgan, I dont work for Burris either. We shoot for them. Based on past information about the release of new Burris products, I very strongly suspect the entire year's allotment will sell out at Shot Show.

My personal hope is that production is prepared to really crank these out and availability will be much better than the first two years the XTR II was on the market. Fingers crossed that they are going to have decent availability from vendors.

I'm just like some of you guys, and hoping to get my hands on one as soon as possible. I have a brand new 22BR that I'm going to try as my primary PRS rifle that needs shiny new glass!! I probably wont get to play with one until Shot.

Looks like a sweet package! Would be interested in seeing a couple pics through the scope at different mag ranges.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    I love the way the graduations look but... I wish that the whole mils were the lowest points and not the .2 and.8 dashes either side. Im sure I wold get used to it (training solves all problems) but as it stands I have to think about it.
    View attachment 6976945

So thats my one pulled out of my ass critique.

I think those numbers lean to the right to remind everyone of spin drift in their right twist barrels, grin.

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the .1's getting taller just off the numbers. I hope they didn't put the hashes in the reticle that way, lol, right?!.

Both small things.

I'm just glad they put in closer focus and better glass!

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Sweet! I’ve always liked those 3-18ish mag range scopes. Hopefully they’ll have addressed the CA issues from the XTR2’s. That was really the only thing that bugged me about those.

Your avatar. I like it.

I’m interested to see the reticle.
    Hype is fun & all, but realistically we can’t expect them to greatly improve the glass without a corresponding bump in price.

20 yard parallex is begging to go on my 22lr. That would fix the issue of all my other scopes having H59s but my 22lrs. First time I can say I’m interested in a Burris scope. Please keep info coming.

Wondering about reticle choice. I love the SCR in my T5Xi. If they're sticking with it or have some other good options this scope may be something I look at in the future

I feel like I, might cut my finger on the power ring....:LOL:

What is the main tube diameter?

I believe it's still 34mm.

I also like the close parallax. The 3.3-18 is perfect for NRL 22 with a 20 yard parallax. And I rarely use 20x on my PRS scope. 10x to 18x seems to be my norm.

And from what I've heard, the new glass is really impressive. They took their time on this one and really got it right. Burris has been working on this for quite some time now. They paid attention to the pros and cons of the XTRII and listened to feedback.

This is the culmination of that.

Last edited:
    Glad to see they're finally offering a tree reticle, and the 3.3-18 sounds about right for a hunting rifle intended to shoot greater than normal hunting distances. I'm curious to see what the glass looks like as well.

I believe it's still 34mm.

I also like the close parallax. The 3.3-18 is perfect for NRL 22.

And from what I've heard, the new glass is really impressive. They took their time on this one and really got it right. Burris has been working on this for quite some time now. They paid attention to the pros and cons of the XTRII and listened to feedback.

This is the culmination of that.

I am very excited to get my hands on one at some point. I love the FOV, that was something they did right in the XTRII. I don't even understand 40ft FOV with a bottom power of 3.3. That boggles my little cave man mind. Only scopes i have owned that were close were 2-2.5 on the bottom end. I love FOV. Close focus is a must. PCP air and 22 needs it. Imagine getting a 6-30 with the FOV of a competitors 3-18. :love:

Where's the rest of the components coming from though? Some good glass comes out of Japan without a doubt, but the mechanical components matter for reliability. We've seen plenty of optics assembled here that still have issues because part quality is skimped on. If the parts are coming from Japan too, great, I have no doubt that they can assemble a quality product here. If they're coming from China and/or Philippines, Taiwan, or basically any asian country other then Japan then it will get a hard pass from me.

Where's the rest of the components coming from though? Some good glass comes out of Japan without a doubt, but the mechanical components matter for reliability. We've seen plenty of optics assembled here that still have issues because part quality is skimped on. If the parts are coming from Japan too, great, I have no doubt that they can assemble a quality product here. If they're coming from China and/or Philippines, Taiwan, or basically any asian country other then Japan then it will get a hard pass from me.
    Two models in XTR 3 will be 3.3-18×50 and 5.5-28×56 and sorry he didn't know if the glass is coming from Japan or no but everything else he said was going to be machined in house at the plant,max elevation on the 18x will be 35mil and max on 28x will be 26mil

Reactions: sky4109