• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3i Feedback

Butleroutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Good Morning
Wanted to post my experience on the Burris XTR3i (5.5x30x56 MOA) purchased to replace my PST G2 5x25, looking to get a step up in optics quality….
After an unsuccessful sight in due to a broken (from factory) elevation turret screw, I returned to Burris for the warranty work and to confirm it would hold zero. After receiving it back, I had to return it again due to it not holding zero.
Burris did me a solid and sent a brand new scope.

Before mounting it, I compared it at a mile to the PST G2 in several light conditions (high noon/bright and cloudy evening) and really could not see any difference in optically quality.

I decided to sell the XTR3i as it is a nice scope but really didn’t give the optically quality step up I was hoping for and personally like the PST reticle better.

I own 3 Burris scopes and am still a fan of Burris.

What did I learn: 1. dang, for the money that I paid a few years ago, the PST G2 is a good value 2. XTR3i is a good scope as well if you like the reticle 3. To get a step up in optical quality, I think I need to be looking at a Razor G3 or Zeiss and maybe Mk5.

No bueno. Dealing with similar/same issue now. Burris received my xtr3 early this week.

Reactions: Milf Dots
The MK5 is not a step up in optical quality to an XTR3. I've compared more than you can beat with a stick, and there's been a ton of posts on here from other folks saying the same thing.

I've looked at a lot of Gen2 PSTs as well. You must have landed on an awfully nice one. There's usually a pretty clear difference in optical clarity between the Vortex and the Burris.

Sorry you've had trouble with yours. Hope they get you squared away.

Or perhaps the OP got a mediocre Burris XTR3i, and a decent Vortex PST g2.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Or perhaps the OP got a mediocre Burris XTR3i, and a decent Vortex PST g2.

It's reasonable to expect a manufacturer's most average product perform and not fail.

For optics with >$1500 MSRP, failure should be a tail event.

Reactions: samnev
It's reasonable to expect a manufacturer's most average product perform and not fail.

For optics with >$1500 MSRP, failure should be a tail event.
I agree.

I’ve had 3 different XTR3/XTR3i scopes.

All were optically equal to Gen 2 Razors and Athlon Cronus.

My current XTR3i has over 1K rounds fired under it and had bounced off PRS barricades and never shifted zero or failed to tract as it should.

Either you had a lemon XTR3 or a Razor mis branded as PST 😂, b/c the XTR3 is certainly > PST.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
That sucks that you are having shit luck w/ the XTR3s. I looked pretty hard at those (although, admittedly, not through one) when considering a new optic for a rifle I was putting together last year but decided against them due to the skinny reticle. I wound up buying another PST gen 2 3-15. While far from perfect, the PST gen 2s that I have owned bat way above their price tags. They work great with NV and thermal clip-ons too :)

For the two that are having/had issues, when did you purchase them? I ordered one a few weeks ago and expect it within the next month for a build, hoping mine is gtg.

Feb '23
~100 rounds fired

hoping it's the result of a manufacturing error rather than a design flaw

I've never been behind the illuminated xtr3, but the old one is significantly better than a viper in every way. When it comes to glass quality, I even prefer the xtr3 over my MK5's. In mild conditions, they may look close to the untrained eye, but in harsh conditions, they really stand apart.

The original one that had the broken turret and wouldn’t hold zero was one of the first shipped months ago. I had it sitting in the box for a few months before I mounted it.
The 2nd one was provided by Burris a few weeks ago, I never mounted it, used it to compare to the PST G2.

I’m sorry to hear your bad experience! I have had no issues with my XTR II riding on a .308 gasser. I wonder if its ripples of supply chain or if someone fired the experienced workers to save a few bucks.

• Haha
Scopes are going to break, regardless of the manufacturer or how much you paid. But the sky isn't falling.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on this forum and others can confirm that a post from someone saying they are having trouble with an XTR of any generation is an extremely rare event. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever seen two posters at once with an issue.

These are tough scopes. I've been running them for a decade now through every event and harsh environment. I haven't had one fail. And I would bet every dollar I own that they are as tough or tougher than any optic on the market. Having an inside track on how many of these actually get returned gives me a lot of confidence to say that.

The folks in Greeley will get you taken care of.

Feb '23
~100 rounds fired

hoping it's the result of a manufacturing error rather than a design flaw

The design is 4 years old. They've pretty much worked out the flaws. Though in actuality I should add, much of the design is older than that, as they used a lot of the internal design of the XTRII. Which went 8 years on this forum without a poster saying they had a tracking issue. It just didn't fail.

But parts fail, or QC issues get missed by humans on the assembly line.

Reactions: samnev
The design is 4 years old. They've pretty much worked out the flaws. Though in actuality I should add, much of the design is older than that, as they used a lot of the internal design of the XTRII. Which went 8 years on this forum without a poster saying they had a tracking issue. It just didn't fail.

But parts fail, or QC issues get missed by humans on the assembly line.
It seems like the issues coincide with the production move to the Philippines... But the XTR2 was also Philippine assembly, right?

I'm really not worried about Burris taking care of the issue...

It seems like the issues coincide with the production move to the Philippines... But the XTR2 was also Philippine assembly, right?

I'm really not worried about Burris taking care of the issue...

Yes, the XTRII was built in the same facility. Burris has had optics made there for close to two decades.

If Burris sees an uptick in returns I'm sure they will dig into it. I'm sure they will be tearing yours apart to see what went wrong.